2017 Gas consumption - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Assuming 3 years and a "loss" of 25 MPG compared to Prius, you're not really looking at a huge amount of added cost. Pump up the tires and drive sensibly, it'll get better after a few thousand miles.

2016 Hybrid Limited with ATP.

The Following User Says Thank You to rdgrimes For This Useful Post:
evrevo (12-28-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Here's my suggestion: reset your average MPG. When you accelerate, make sure the ECO indicator on the dash stays on as much as possible. If it disappears, you're accelerating too hard and wasting unnecessary fuel. Don't exceed 2,500 RPMs, unless you're getting on the highway. Also, do your best to avoid braking by coasting for as long as you can without annoying drivers behind you. Do this for about a week and see if your fuel economy improves.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to RatRAV For This Useful Post:
evrevo (12-28-2016)
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRAV View Post
Here's my suggestion: reset your average MPG. When you accelerate, make sure the ECO indicator on the dash stays on as much as possible. If it disappears, you're accelerating too hard and wasting unnecessary fuel. Don't exceed 2,500 RPMs, unless you're getting on the highway. Also, do your best to avoid braking by coasting for as long as you can without annoying drivers behind you. Do this for about a week and see if your fuel economy improves.

I will do a better job of watching the Eco light..thank you..and I will watch the RPMs
I did not realize it went on and off..I also turned off the the sway warning..BTW what does that "time until rest" mean?? I can not find an explanation anywhere in the manual
As a Prius driver I already do all the coasting thing and I am sure I annoy every driver around me. I live in south Florida filled with elderly drivers so they probably think Im one of them.
The sad part by the end of my Prius lease I was driving it like a race car and still getting 50 mpg when I turned it in...it was a sad day
I really liked all of my Priuses, but this 2013 was my fav. I am not really fond of the New body style, but If the price had been right I would have leased it in a heart beat.

post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrevo View Post
I will do a better job of watching the Eco light..thank you..and I will watch the RPMs
I did not realize it went on and off..I also turned off the the sway warning..BTW what does that "time until rest" mean?? I can not find an explanation anywhere in the manual
As a Prius driver I already do all the coasting thing and I am sure I annoy every driver around me. I live in south Florida filled with elderly drivers so they probably think Im one of them.
The sad part by the end of my Prius lease I was driving it like a race car and still getting 50 mpg when I turned it in...it was a sad day
I really liked all of my Priuses, but this 2013 was my fav. I am not really fond of the New body style, but If the price had been right I would have leased it in a heart beat.
I believe the sway warning is based on time and how much you weave inside or out of your own lane. When the meter runs out, it'll remind you to pull over and rest.

It sounds like it might've been a better transition to go to the RAV4 Hybrid over the gas version, but there's always another time when your lease runs out! The gas RAV4 is pretty economical, but it will drink a lot of fuel if you let it. Give it some time and let us know after a few days.

The Following User Says Thank You to RatRAV For This Useful Post:
evrevo (12-28-2016)
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 03:59 PM

I am averaging 25.5 MPG at 60% city 40% hiway. I have 2200 miles on mine, and mileage has dropped about 1 MPG since new, likely because of winter temps and slower traffic. This is the 6th brand new Toyota I've bought, and I've never seen more than 1mpg difference from new to broken in MPG, so no I don't believe that increase unless there is some considerable parasitic loss from tight rings and bearings in motor or transmission.

Likely the biggest culprit is trip distance (short trips), stop and go driving, or windy conditions.

2016 AWD SE metallic gray 10-15-16
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Turn off the lane departure system.

Quote:
As a Prius driver I already do all the coasting thing and I am sure I annoy every driver around me.
As long as the engine is turning you are using fuel. Lower RPM = less fuel. So coasting really only helps if it flips into a higher gear. Sticking it into neutral might be more help.

2016 Hybrid Limited with ATP.

post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Sticking it into neutral might be more help.
I don't think that will help at all. When coasting above 20 MPH, the torque converter locks and absolutely no fuel is delivered to the engine - it just becomes an air compressor. Putting in neutral would allow the engine to keep eating fuel while you're slowing down.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RatRAV For This Useful Post:
evrevo (12-28-2016), SoltanG (01-01-2017)
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
my driving this evening, the dip is a stop waiting for a train.. that was all local
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driving record.JPG (70.1 KB, 57 views)
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
my driving this evening, the dip is a stop waiting for a train.. that was all local
Looks pretty good. What was your average for that trip?
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRAV View Post
Looks pretty good. What was your average for that trip?
average what??
mph 35-40

I took it off ECO mode and lane departure system and the car drives much better. Much smoother
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page