2017 Gas consumption - Page 4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Turn off the lane departure system.

As long as the engine is turning you are using fuel. Lower RPM = less fuel. So coasting really only helps if it flips into a higher gear. Sticking it into neutral might be more help.

This hasn't been true for pretty much any car built in the last 10 years.

If the car is coasting, the gearing is engaged and there is no pressure on the gas pedal, NO fuel is being used at all.

Taking it out of gear forces the car to run on idle, which uses the same amount of gas as if it's idling while not moving.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gkirk For This Useful Post:
evrevo (01-04-2017), internalaudit (01-12-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE.. Filled up at 226.40 miles 10..23 gal = 22.13 ok getting better ..i will say my driving was 40% highway/ 60% local. that should start to change to more 60/40 which i hope will continue to improve. It drives much smoother on normal mode. I will try sport for this next tank. I notice a strange acceleration at 32 mph when my foot is NOT on the gas and i am coasting it almost seems to speed up on its own. I will track this closer , to see if it is consistent. It is hard to find a straight away to keep trying it on , that is the only real quirk i can see, and I dont even know if it is consistent.

Thats it for now....safe driving everyone...

No Texting and driving..it is becoming a nightmare down here.
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 PM

Mine has done that accelerate thing a couple of times also, it wasn't aggressive but it would hold 35mph by itself going up a mild hill & then accelerate to 36/37. Nothing I'll report to the dealer, just found it odd.
The Following User Says Thank You to batman900 For This Useful Post:
evrevo (01-10-2017)

post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman900 View Post
Mine has done that accelerate thing a couple of times also, it wasn't aggressive but it would hold 35mph by itself going up a mild hill & then accelerate to 36/37. Nothing I'll report to the dealer, just found it odd.
interesting I thought i was imagining it..I would like to hear if anyone else experiences this??
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:17 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,390 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman900 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evrevo View Post
interesting I thought i was imagining it..I would like to hear if anyone else experiences this??
My 4.3 has done this since day 1. It happens when the lock-up torque converter in the transmission unlocks. Usually happens to me when coasting on an off ramp. It's a weird feeling--it almost feels like you're accelerating but it's not. The effect is caused by the sudden removal of engine braking--similar to pushing in the clutch when decelerating with a manual transmission.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
evrevo (01-11-2017), MTL_Sienna (01-11-2017)
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
My 4.3 has done this since day 1. It happens when the lock-up torque converter in the transmission unlocks. Usually happens to me when coasting on an off ramp. It's a weird feeling--it almost feels like you're accelerating but it's not. The effect is caused by the sudden removal of engine braking--similar to pushing in the clutch when decelerating with a manual transmission.
wow this is so interesting..are you saying this is nothing to worry about? When it happens it feels like the car is out of my control for a minute and a little scary, though I know I can always stomp on the brake.
Would this in any way cause your gas usage to be compromised .Are you say there is an acceleration but no use of gas? I was trying to see if there was any correlation to my poor gas consumption, and thought maybe something was electronically off. BUT you think (mechanically) I am obviously NOT mechanical, that action is ok?
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:45 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,390 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evrevo View Post
wow this is so interesting..are you saying this is nothing to worry about? When it happens it feels like the car is out of my control for a minute and a little scary, though I know I can always stomp on the brake.
Would this in any way cause your gas usage to be compromised .Are you say there is an acceleration but no use of gas? I was trying to see if there was any correlation to my poor gas consumption, and thought maybe something was electronically off. BUT you think (mechanically) I am obviously NOT mechanical, that action is ok?
It's not really acceleration, it's just a little LESS deceleration. It's perfectly normal, nothing to worry about. It has no effect on your mileage. If the torque converter would FAIL to unlock, the engine would buck and stall out just as if you had stopped a manual transmission car in gear without touching the clutch.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
evrevo (01-12-2017)
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

No wonder many car makers are putting in an engine shutdown when idle feature. So far the winter here has been kinda mild.

Idling wastes fuel!
Myth Busted: Idling wastes fuel! | Green Action Centre

How does Toyota counter this comment?

I’m surprised that nobody has raised the issue of the oil sump- that’s where gravity drains the engine oil down to when the motor is not running. Hot oil can take several minutes to drain back down into the sump once the engine is stopped, but the process begins the moment the engine is stopped.
Every time you start an engine, there are inadequately-lubricated metal components that wear against each other until the oil from the sump circulates enough to adequately lubricate the engine. This process takes less than a minute, typically, during which much wear is done to the engine- metal can rub against metal, ejecting tiny metallic dust particulate all over your engine. This metal dust collects carbon deposits and makes your oil black instead of light brown. Also, the wearing-down of your engine components ruins the precise tolerances and can lead to “blow by”, stealing power and allowing hot cylinder gasses to escape into the oil and pollute it.
Also, the heat-cycle of stopping-and-starting an engine causes additional wear to rubber seals and plastic parts and other components prone to become brittle from heating-and-cooling cycles.

Ah:
There’s always a thin coat of oil, even when a vehicle sits for many days. Otherwise you’d hear obvious grinding. Do a test on a piece of metal and let it sit at various angles. It will remain slimy. Piston rings trap a bead of oil above them, also. There’s enough oil (when the engine is already warm) to protect from significant friction during restarts. That’s why start/stop systems on hybrids avoid damaging engines. Those are also being introduced on some non-hybrids. Cold starts cause most of the actual wear but it’s generally subtle if one does it right. No cold revving!
More total wear is caused by idling itself, especially on cold starts when the rest of the drive-train isn’t warmed up in sync with the engine by moderate driving.

2016 RAV4 Hybrid with Technology Package
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=internalaudit;2286666]No wonder many car makers are putting in an engine shutdown when idle feature. So far the winter here has been kinda mild.

Idling wastes fuel!

did you fall into the wrong thread?
Does any of that mean anything about my gas consumption?
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=evrevo;2287258]
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalaudit View Post
No wonder many car makers are putting in an engine shutdown when idle feature. So far the winter here has been kinda mild.

Idling wastes fuel!

did you fall into the wrong thread?
Does any of that mean anything about my gas consumption?
Yeah, meant to post on the hybrid thread but at least people will get the point.

Didn't know idling can use up a significant amount of fuel.

2016 RAV4 Hybrid with Technology Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page