2013 RAV4 Fuel Consumption - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
2013 RAV4 Fuel Consumption

Good day everyone. I am a new owner of a used 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited which I bought from a Honda dealer. My concern is that, the listing says the fuel consumption for city driving is around 9.1L/100km for city driving and 6.8L/100km on hiways.
Of course, my understanding is that it only applies to new cars though it shouldn't change a lot.
So, the first time I filled up my tank(43.7 L), i took a picture first of the fuel gauge pointer(if that is the correct term) i.e. that it points exactly to the line where the fuel image is.i zeroed in or reset my trip A before moving out the gas station.
Then exactly a week after, the gauge points to the fuel image again. So i decided to refill.
I was disappointed to see that the mileage only shows 252km. 252km/43.7L = 5.7km/L only! That is very far from the average listing at around 10km/L.
Is the weather condition a big factor that contributes to this issue? I am from Winnipeg Manitoba and currently, the weather is at -15 to -20 on the average.
Hoping that someone from this forum can shed some light on this concern. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:34 PM

Welcome to the site!

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). Ambient temps, warm-up time, winter gas, driving habits, AWD use, winter tires, tire pressure and city driving can affect mileage greatly.

As you are in Wintertoba, I would expect around 300 - 350 km to a tank in temps like that, especially if parked outside and driving in the city. I have never got 6.8 L/100 km ...ever. Expect 8 L/100 km on the highway and about 10.5 in the city with a light foot in summer.

I suggest you use Fuelly or track your consumption manually over a few months to see what your actual mileage is.

2017 RAV4 SE HYBRID
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterrav View Post
the weather is at -15 to -20 on the average
You need to block that radiator. I doubt it even gets up to operating temperature at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterrav View Post
the listing says the fuel consumption for city driving is around 9.1L/100km for city driving and 6.8L/100km on hiways.
Those figures are from tests done at 24 degrees Celsius ambient.

2017 RAV4 Hybrid Limited

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:16 AM

I have to agree with MTL on the fuel consumption. I get about the same in my 2014 and I live in Ontario.
As far as the comment on blocking the rad goes it is actually the thermostats job to maintain proper engine temp. The new cars today will actually set a code for "engine too cold too long" if it fails. This can be checked by watching the temp gauge to see if it goes down on the highway. If it remains in normal operating zone on the highway then it is working at keeping the cars engine at its proper operating temperature. Years ago we would put cardboard in front of the rad to block the rad to increase engine temp but that was before all the advanced emission requirements that cars have today. And it was easy back then, you actually had some room in the engine compartment to do it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo9 View Post
As far as the comment on blocking the rad goes it is actually the thermostats job to maintain proper engine temp.
Does the thermostat warm up the engine if it needs it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo9 View Post
Years ago we would put cardboard in front of the rad to block the rad to increase engine temp but that was before all the advanced emission requirements that cars have today.
Was that before thermostats?

2017 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 02:30 AM

The primary job of the thermostat is to allow the engine to quickly reach and maintain operating temperature. It does this by blocking the flow of coolant to the rad when the engine is cold. When it reaches the proper temperature the thermostat will control the flow of coolant to the rad to maintain the required temperature, opening and closing automatically as required.
So to answer the question of "Does the thermostat warm up the engine if it needs it" the engine is the unit that provides the heat. It is produced from friction and the burning of the fuel required to produce power to move the car. the thermostat just controls the heat keeping the engine running at the correct temperature much like the thermostat in your house controls the amount of heat from your furnace.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 02:49 AM

It should also be noted that the temperature on your instrument cluster does not indicate the temperature of the whole block, only the area where around where it is placed. You will notice the engine warming and cooling if you're only going on short trips because a lot of the engine block can still be pretty cool. When I go on <25-minute drives at below 45 mph in very cold weather, the temperature gauge has a party. It will go up a bar, then drop a bar at a stoplight, then go up, then drop again down a hill. However, when I travel on the highway for a while, the engine doesn't drop from operating temperature at all, even if I sit at a stoplight for 10 minutes in 10-degree weather. Cold weather will have a more direct impact on gas mileage for short trips, but it should average out for longer ones. In general, temperature extremes are not your friend for gas mileage. Neither are short trips.

I've noticed a drop of about 2-8 mpg during the colder months on some of my short routes that are only 5-10 miles. This is because the engine runs pretty much the whole time to keep at temperature, and the cabin requiring heat from the engine means it has to run even more. However, I've seen no noticeable change on one of the longer drives I take frequently (220 miles), in fact, I just got near my record the other day at 41.5 mpg for the trip, and it was 20 degrees Fahrenheit outside. When I was driving around the city after being on the highway that long, the temperature needle didn't budge, because the whole drivetrain was thoroughly warm. I even stopped to pick up food, was out of the car for 30 minutes, and it was still at operating temp when I got back in.

Also, tire pressure, any snow on the ground, how often the car uses AWD, and driving habits, just as MTL_Sienna mentioned, will affect your mileage. If you're still getting this economy when it's warm out, roads are clear, tire pressure is optimal, and you're not driving like a maniac, then I would start asking questions.

2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited - Technology Package - Mudguards, Rubber Floor Mats, and Door Side Moldings - Full frontal PPF, ready for any road trip.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 05:21 PM

Garage
Here are the last few fill-up of my 2013 RAV4 LE. I bought it used in 2014 from Hertz with about 28,000 miles on it. I have faithfully logged every fill-up. As you can see, after driving it about 26,000 miles (a bit more than driving around the Equator) I have averaged 26.0 mpg (11L/100KM) Most of my driving has been 20-30 mile round trips here in mostly rural west Georgia. I'd guess 25% of my mileage would come from longer trips.

An 8-wheel drive family
2000 RAV4 L
2013 RAV4 LE
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:18 AM

Garage
Just completed a 1,200km trip in cold weather and some snow (-15C). About 1/2 tank was city driving and the rest was highway. My calculated mileage was 10.635L/100km (22.12 US mpg) The computer (reset at start of trip) showed 9.99.

2014 RAV4 Limited Magnetic Grey/TerraCotta
2010 F150
2001 Mustang (track toy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page