Premium JBL/Greenedge Audio System Issues - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have noticed same issues since getting Rav 4 hybrid .. please keep me posted

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:47 PM

I have it in my limited and it sucks. Standard radio in my 2012 Camry SE sounds better. I am with anyone that might get us a better sound. Front to back speaker is horrible
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:30 AM
SVG

I have to agree with the OP that the ‘premium’ audio system is weak. Better than the base system, yes.

For reference I have a Bang & Olufsen system in my Audi that is very good.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:25 PM

I am 100% agree! I have a 2016 SE and I feel like any other stereo system sounds better than mine.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:39 PM

I have a 2103 with the Green Edge system and I find it not too bad.

I have worked as an audio engineer for over 16 years. I have pretty good ears, and I trust them. I run my system flat except for sometimes giving a slight dip in the mid band. I listen to lots of different styles of music and find the overall balance of frequency to be just fine. And that includes the sub.

I think it's important to remember that it is a car, not an ideal listening environment. I accept it for what it is. It had lots of background noise. It has multiple speakers in multiple locations which creates phase issues and comb filtering that will emphasize some frequencies and attenuate others. Those will get emphasized when you turn up the volume. Siting closer to the sub will produce less bass depending on the frequency because you aren't hearing the full cycle of the wave (but you hear it outside the car).

If you really want to evaluate your interior for the audio response, forget random frequencies. Run some pink noise and use a measurement mic.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 PM

The issue I have with mine is that the sound quality is different between different input sources. From what I have read on this forum, this seems to be an across the board issue. AM and FM stations are absolutely horrid to the point I don't even bother with them. However, there is a somewhat decent sound from the CD and USB input/MP3. Where the original poster may be onto something is in this difference, not the overall poor performance. You have the same unit/speaker setup giving off different results depending on the source. THAT is what should be focused on in my opinion. You don't have to be a sound engineer to actually hear the difference when you change nothing but the source, no matter how you have everything else setup.

Personally, if Toyota would fix just the AM/FM issue to where it sounds the same as CD/MP3, I could live with that. However, if you get them to admit just that much in either an arbitration case or a court case, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue to convince them to address the bigger issue of overall poor performance for something a premium price was attached to.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:22 PM

Well, maybe you do need to be a sound engineer.

What type of radio broadcast are you talking about? HD or standard? I don't listen to music on the radio really, but I think the HD sounds decent enough.

What is the standard definition of HD radio? What is the frequency response?

Satellite radio has crappy fidelity. Are the songs you're playing off your phone MP3 or lossless compressed files?

MP3 is compressed data (a little off the top and bottom) and will always sound inferior to a CD, which is based on the theoretical limits of human hearing (Nyquist theory).

Do you have additional EQ settings active on your phone/playback device? That will affect your sound as well.

Radio broadcast as well ads further process to the source signal. Modern music already has the life squeezed out of it through the use of compression. Radio broadcast puts it through another limiter stage still. This over-compression will indeed makes the same song sound different on a radio or a CD. Make that CD a ****ty MP3 and it'll sound different still.

The OP was definitely unsatisfied with the quality of sound from the system overall, not tonal or volume discrepancies based on source. Different sources will indeed sound different, even if you are comparing by playing the same song. I would argue, that if people are able to notice these differences, the system is actually working just fine.

If there were a technical defect, like the sub channels being wired out of phase, you might have grounds for a class action suit. But, if you simply find the system fidelity not to your liking (which can be subjective), or don't like that a CD, MP3, and the radio all sound different (which is actually normal), then all you're really doing is having Toyota pay their lawyers to do a bunch of busy work, which will only make your next Rav4 even more expensive.

Karl
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:13 PM

I fixed my radio problem. I traded my 2017 limited for a Lexus NX200T F SPORT
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmcrav4 View Post
I fixed my radio problem. I traded my 2017 limited for a Lexus NX200T F SPORT
How much did the upgrade run you?

2016 AWD Limited, Silver/Gray, Advanced Tech
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:32 PM

About 4K. I had traded in a Camry on the Rav so I had a lot of equity in the Rav. Well worth it IMO. I think the NX looks more like a guy car. Love the seats and look of the NX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page