Premium JBL/Greenedge Audio System Issues - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Premium JBL/Greenedge Audio System Issues

Issues with 2014-2017 RAV4’s with Premium JBL Audio System – If you are disappointed with your JBL/Greenedge Audio, YOU ARE NOT ALONE – READ ON PLEASE: I am proceeding with Arbitration, and have a Toyota Case Number under which I am doing so. There are 2 major defects as follows: First - Audio with speakers set to rear of cabin is about 70% lower than when set to front of cabin, and is totally lacking in bass, mids and highs – puny and weak in the rear is a good description. Second – Subwoofer functionality is virtually absent in the passenger cabin, with only slight output regardless of whether in front, rear, or any speaker setting mode.
I have been an audiophile for decades, and purchased my 2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited with the Premium JBL/Greenedge system because I wanted hi grade audio. I drove the vehicle for weeks before using the audio system because I use earphones. When I began to use the system I noticed the 2 issues that are outlined above. I ran tests utilizing .mp3 file sine wave frequencies from 30Hz – 2500Hz set at a reference level, and made tests. Sure enough, the audio delivered in the rear is truly weak and puny, and the subwoofer is virtually useless. There are clearly issues since the rear door speakers are 170mm coaxials, capable of full frequency response, and the subwoofer, were it functional, would augment the rear cabin audio performance. The system is sadly lacking.
Toyota, at the dealership level is trying to help me but Toyota at regional and national levels simply comes back with “The audio system is working normally.” The truth is that Toyota simply compared my vehicle with several others and came up with the catchy sentence about “working normally.”
Apparently Toyota refuses to admit that the integrated premium package consisting of Fujitsu-Ten head unit, JBL Greenedge speakers, and JBL amplifier is suffering from technical defects, and all vehicles with this Premium system are affected.
True, most owners probably do not recognize the defects – But many of us who expect a premium performance system, and paid for it, are quite unhappy. The JBL Premium Audio System is neither performing “normally” nor as touted in marketing literature, and we owners should band together.
Owners, do not throw money away by purchasing different speakers, head units or anything, as the integrated system, as purchased with your RAV4 is suffering from technical glitches. I feel that firmware or software revisions may be the cure, but Toyota does not care to expose this issue, so that is why I am going to Arbitration.
Owners – Please respond if you are having these issues so that I can reinforce this case and take with me to Arbitration – Respond to this post, and be in touch with me if you care to.
Many Thanks, Steve B.

Carolina SteveB

Last edited by scblackwell; 02-08-2017 at 12:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:26 AM

I agree 100%, please keep us posted.

2016 AWD Limited, Silver/Gray, Advanced Tech
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Whine all you like - it is what it is. OEM audio systems ALL suck, its just a matter of degrees. You'll accomplish nothing but to waste your energy and time. If its really a big deal then go buy an aftermarket system and get on with your life.

What you're doing here is frankly kind of pathetic. All of the system's shortcomings were readily demonstrable before you bought a car. Admit you failed to check it out adequately.

2016 Hybrid Limited with ATP.

The Following User Says Thank You to rdgrimes For This Useful Post:
Quickdtoo (02-07-2017)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

You're not the first to rant on this, or even to threaten legal action. However, you don't have a leg to stand on here. You bought a product. Your product works the same as every other of the same product, new on the lot and on the streets, and according to Toyota is "normal operation". Unlike 90% of other "products" sold in the world you can actually try this one before you buy it. It hasn't "failed", nor is it any worse than when you tested it and purchased it brand new. No doubt the jbl system sucks. But you can't take legal action because you don't find the sound system performs as well as you'd like. You simply don't buy it. I specifically didn't get the tech package because the non jbl limited trim system doesn't have those issues.
I get your frustration, but you won't get anywhere with this.

2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
For one, I am with the OP.
Granted he could have tested all this before he bought but there is only so much you can test.
From having been on the forum for years, I know that JBL implementation was crap even in the 4.3 RAV4. Same thing goes for Navigation.

That being said, I believe that those people paying extra for a premium sound system, deserve a premium sound system. However, I do not know what the minimum requirements of a premium sound system should be.

FYI, I have a 2015 Acura TLX with premimum ELS sound system. Some critics says that the ELS system is a good one. https://www.edmunds.com/acura/tlx/20...darn-good.html . I can say that it is better than my Base 2008 RAV4. For one it has more speakers but I am not terribly impressed by it. I listen to Rock and Metal.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Marty Friedman" - Dragon's Kiss
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanib View Post
That being said, I believe that those people paying extra for a premium sound system, deserve a premium sound system.
Compared to the standard system, that's exactly what it is. So this argument holds no water. Failing to adequately investigate the system before buying is no excuse for whining.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanib View Post
For one, I am with the OP.
I am too. I totally agree with him. But, he won't get anywhere and I don't see the point in going on this crusade because of the reasons listed in my earlier post. I am a bit of an audiophile myself and once I heard and played around with the jbl system(which is the main reason I would have gotten the tech package) I'd decided that the base limited without jbl sounded better. Both are far from what would even approach being called a premium system. But at 42 with a newborn, no upgrades are happening to my system. lol

2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 03:00 PM

How much R&D went into this system? They basically threw a bunch of speakers in a car, paired them with a crappy amp and called it a day. The base system in our BMW X3 craps all over JBL's Greenmehhdge.

2017 RAV4 Limited - Black/Cinnamon Softex, Advanced Tech Package, Mudguards and Door Edge Guards.

2005 RAV4 Limited 200K Miles - Blue/Ash Softex , Roof Rack w/crossbars, Heated Seats, Mudguards, Sunroof, Spoiler, Preferred Accessory Package
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcs View Post
The base system in our BMW X3 craps all over JBL's Greenmehhdge.
And your point is what? How is this even relevant?

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 07:05 PM

Here is a thread I started on the subject for further info. Buying a new Rav4? Refuse to pay for the "premium audio" if installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page