Rav4 adventure. - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF View Post
I wish this package was available in 2016 when I got my RAV4. I live in the desert southwest and I would buy it just to have the extra oil and radiator cooling. I wonder if the payload goes up also? I would think with that much more towing capability, it would also require suspension and brake modifications. Too bad I can't afford to take a loss on my 2016 :-(
I'd give it 2 or 3 years before I'd consider one...let them work out the bugs in the first 2 model years. Look at the tweaks from the 2013 model year to the 2015 model year.

My $.02!

Pancreatic Cancer - the silent killer!
Freedom isn't free, thank you veterans! 9-11-01...NEVER FORGET!

2015 XLE AWD Silver Metallic + Camry horns; fog lite mod; OEM A/W mats / mud guards; AVS vent visors / bug deflector; BUMPSHOX bumper guard; Gentex mirror; console tray; HAM radio; LED's; Shark Fin antenna. [To do: BSM's; hitch.]

'12 - Highlander SE AWD
'09 - RAV 4 Base AWD
'06 - Highlander Base AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF View Post
I wish this package was available in 2016 when I got my RAV4. I live in the desert southwest and I would buy it just to have the extra oil and radiator cooling. I wonder if the payload goes up also? I would think with that much more towing capability, it would also require suspension and brake modifications. Too bad I can't afford to take a loss on my 2016 :-(
I wonder how difficult it'd be to retrofit the new radiator and transmission cooler to non-Adventure trims. I don't imagine there's any difference mechanically.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey D. View Post
I'd give it 2 or 3 years before I'd consider one...let them work out the bugs in the first 2 model years. Look at the tweaks from the 2013 model year to the 2015 model year.
Curious, why do you say that? Isn't that ultimately the same model as the one currently out with minimum of mods? What I've read is that it's gonna be raised by under 1". My understanding is that Hybrid model is raised some and right around that same ballpark. So I wonder if they'd reuse that with some minor mechanical and interior changes. What I'm saying is that changes seem rather cosmetic to expect "1st year model" syndrome. This is coming from one who owns 2013 model - I'll never repeat that mistake again.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:48 PM

The one magazine article I read made it sound as though because of the ride height and a few more plastic panels, you can go off roading. Who goes off road with 18" wheels?

Looks a bit gawdy to me maybe because I like a lowered look on cars that will never go off road over the lifted look.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM05 View Post
Quote:
Curious, why do you say that? Isn't that ultimately the same model as the one currently out with minimum of mods? What I've read is that it's gonna be raised by under 1". My understanding is that Hybrid model is raised some and right around that same ballpark. So I wonder if they'd reuse that with some minor mechanical and interior changes. What I'm saying is that changes seem rather cosmetic to expect "1st year model" syndrome. This is coming from one who owns 2013 model - I'll never repeat that mistake again.
I prefer a vehicle/model that has been around for a while and is proven, I don't want to be any automakers guinea pig. I rather wait until most of the major kinks have been found/worked out.

A good example is the latest generation Toyota Tacoma P/U trucks - the newest version of their engine and transmission combo has had 2 TSB's issued so far for vibration and shifting issues. Several people have even sold/traded them for something completely different because of the problem - visit the Tacomaworld site for more info.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:02 PM

Other than the larger coolers it is basically a trim package on the current generation. This generation only has probably 2-3 years left in it.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:03 AM

The height difference is hardly noticeable.

Maybe 1 inch?

The fake rock sliders look kind of cheesy.

Meh

My Fleet:
2002 Nissan Xterra - 197K
2007 Toyota Tundra - 113K
2015 Toyota Tacoma - 15K
2016 Toyota RAV4 - 1K
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I prefer a vehicle/model that has been around for a while and is proven, I don't want to be any automakers guinea pig. I rather wait until most of the major kinks have been found/worked out.

A good example is the latest generation Toyota Tacoma P/U trucks - the newest version of their engine and transmission combo has had 2 TSB's issued so far for vibration and shifting issues. Several people have even sold/traded them for something completely different because of the problem - visit the Tacomaworld site for more info.
I actually thought even thr first or second production year Toyota's were bullet proof. Didn't know. Hopefully our 2016 hybrid will not be too faulty.

2016 RAV4 Hybrid with Technology Package
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalaudit View Post
I actually thought even thr first or second production year Toyota's were bullet proof. Didn't know. Hopefully our 2016 hybrid will not be too faulty.
I think it's been out long enough we can safely say that there have been no major issues. I'm not worried. The drivetrain has been proven already in the Camry and the lexus NX before the Rav4 hybrid even came out. Before I purchased mine I researched both the camry and nx for potential issues. Also in my research I'd found that most toyota hybrids are even MORE reliable than their gas counterparts due to less belt driven accessories and a much simpler transmission, despite the added dc motors and battery system.
I didn't take buying my first hybrid lightly. I found quite conclusively that the general public knowledge of hybrids was wrong. All you ever see from the uneducated but opinionated hybrid haters is, "the batteries fail every year and cost $10k to replace", "the batteries aren't warrantied", "hybrids are slow", "they break down all the time", "it is unproven technology", "hybrids are more complicated" etc. etc. All of which is just spouting off un-educated mis-guided opinion.

2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
The Following User Says Thank You to Nodnerb For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (02-17-2017)
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Good to know. Maybe we should not have opted for the additional 4-year extended warranty, haha.

Yes, even Rdgrimes mentioned a few missing parts on the hybrid that could fail on the non-hybrid variant. Starting up the gasoline engine with the hybrid battery gives a lot of peace of mind during the winter season.

2016 RAV4 Hybrid with Technology Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page