When does your low fuel light come on? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Country: KJPAT08's Flag is: United States
 
KJPAT08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Auburn, Wa
Posts: 276
Thanks: 20
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
When does your low fuel light come on?

I have about 3500 miles on my Rav now, and just the 2nd time I hit the low fuel light. I usually fill up at 1/4 tank. What I noticed this time was when I hit 1/4 tank, the gauge dropped very rapidly. Then after the low fuel light came on, I drove maybe 10 miles then filled up. It only took 12.3 gallons of gas, and manual says it holds 15.9?
This seems very odd to me. So just as the needle hits slightly above empty (where my light comes on), I actually have darn near 1/4 tank?
Are others seeing this? I don't remember seeing this posted, I would think others would question the reserve capacity if so.

2016 AWD SE metallic gray 10-15-16
KJPAT08 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member
Country: Nodnerb's Flag is: Canada
 
Nodnerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Wpg, MB
Posts: 961
Thanks: 17
Thanked 168 Times in 134 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yes there is a reserve of close to 3 gallons or something like that. It is "normal". Pretty high reserve though.

2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
Nodnerb is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Country: KJPAT08's Flag is: United States
 
KJPAT08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Auburn, Wa
Posts: 276
Thanks: 20
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnerb View Post
Yes there is a reserve of close to 3 gallons or something like that. It is "normal". Pretty high reserve though.
My manual says 2.5 gallons reserve is when the light should come on. This shows in my case it is just under 4 gallons in my Rav.

2016 AWD SE metallic gray 10-15-16
KJPAT08 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:27 PM
Senior Member
Country: Bill1426's Flag is: United States
 
Bill1426's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 363
Thanks: 8
Thanked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You need to have some fuel (about 2 gallons), in the tank to keep the pump primed, and to keep it cool.
Figure the usable fuel is about 13.5 gallons.

2013 Rav4 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl / Ash Interior
Options: JBL/NAV, Blind Spot Monitoring, Floor/Cargo Mats.
Add-ons: Husky Weather Beaters (floor & cargo), LED Interior lights, Dash Cam
Window Tint (35% - Front Windows, 20% - Top Section of Windshield).
Sales Date: May 25th, Ordered: June 10th, Build Date: August 18th, Picked Up: August 30th
Bill1426 is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Your Humble Administrator
Country: JuneBug's Flag is: United States
 
JuneBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 14,299
Thanks: 368
Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,395 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
We've discussed this many times on the previous generation. The conclusion being that when the light comes on, you have between 3-4 gallons left. Mine is pretty much at 4 gallons, so I don't need to panic when the light comes on.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.
__________________

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"


JuneBug is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 11:56 AM
Member
Country: Rav_XLE's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 67
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I usually don't wait until the light goes off, but it is around less than 1/4, still around 40mpg to drive until E.
Rav_XLE is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Junior Member
Country: GrnXnham's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJPAT08 View Post
I have about 3500 miles on my Rav now, and just the 2nd time I hit the low fuel light. I usually fill up at 1/4 tank. What I noticed this time was when I hit 1/4 tank, the gauge dropped very rapidly. Then after the low fuel light came on, I drove maybe 10 miles then filled up. It only took 12.3 gallons of gas, and manual says it holds 15.9?
This seems very odd to me. So just as the needle hits slightly above empty (where my light comes on), I actually have darn near 1/4 tank?
Are others seeing this? I don't remember seeing this posted, I would think others would question the reserve capacity if so.
You must be relatively new at owning a car. Every car I've ever had has been like this--it helps keep you from running out of gas.

My Fleet:
2002 Nissan Xterra - 197K
2007 Toyota Tundra - 113K
2015 Toyota Tacoma - 15K
2016 Toyota RAV4 - 1K
GrnXnham is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Country: KJPAT08's Flag is: United States
 
KJPAT08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Auburn, Wa
Posts: 276
Thanks: 20
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnXnham View Post
You must be relatively new at owning a car. Every car I've ever had has been like this--it helps keep you from running out of gas.
Yes, 5 brand new Toyotas and over 15 cars in my lifetime kinda new.

Never had a low fuel light come on with 1/4 tank left on ANY of them. When the gauge reads empty, I literally have 1/4 tank left.

Did you miss the part that the manual states reserve is 2.5 gallons and mine comes on with 4 left??

2016 AWD SE metallic gray 10-15-16
KJPAT08 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Junior Member
Country: GrnXnham's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJPAT08 View Post
Yes, 5 brand new Toyotas and over 15 cars in my lifetime kinda new.

Never had a low fuel light come on with 1/4 tank left on ANY of them. When the gauge reads empty, I literally have 1/4 tank left.

Did you miss the part that the manual states reserve is 2.5 gallons and mine comes on with 4 left??
The 2.5 gallons in the manual is an estimate. Remember that gas sloshes around in the tank. This can cause the light to come on sooner or later depending on the sloshing action in the tank.

You sound kind of testy. No need to be. I really thought you might be very young and this is your first or second car since all of my cars follow the 1/4 tank light pattern. The cars you have owned did not. Now we both know that there is some variation from car to car as to when this light comes on and it can be common either way.

Cheers

My Fleet:
2002 Nissan Xterra - 197K
2007 Toyota Tundra - 113K
2015 Toyota Tacoma - 15K
2016 Toyota RAV4 - 1K
GrnXnham is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Country: KJPAT08's Flag is: United States
 
KJPAT08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Auburn, Wa
Posts: 276
Thanks: 20
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnXnham View Post
The 2.5 gallons in the manual is an estimate. Remember that gas sloshes around in the tank. This can cause the light to come on sooner or later depending on the sloshing action in the tank.

You sound kind of testy. No need to be. I really thought you might be very young and this is your first or second car since all of my cars follow the 1/4 tank light pattern. The cars you have owned did not. Now we both know that there is some variation from car to car as to when this light comes on and it can be common either way.

Cheers
My low fuel light comes on and stays on. If it were a "tank sloshy" issue it would go back off, not stay on while sitting idling in a parking lot. I'm not testy, but no, I don't appreciate being assumed to be a rookie driver after over 40 years of driving either. Why make that assumption when as posted below, many have questioned the low fuel capacity not being what is stated. Yes, it's an estimate, just like gas mileage. If my mileage (or about anything else) was was off by 60% I would question that also.
My only question here is when does others go off to determine if mine is beyond the normal range of what others are seeing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
We've discussed this many times on the previous generation. The conclusion being that when the light comes on, you have between 3-4 gallons left. Mine is pretty much at 4 gallons, so I don't need to panic when the light comes on.

2016 AWD SE metallic gray 10-15-16
KJPAT08 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome