Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Add convenience package later?

10K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Butts 
#1 ·
I've been looking around and I couldn't find a definitive answer.

I was wondering if I can add the convenience package to my 2016 XLE after already owning it? Or is it something that they have to build into the car when it's being made? I really want the Dynamic Cruise Control and Smart Key/Push Button start added into the car.

#7 ·
I really want the Dynamic Cruise Control and Smart Key/Push Button start added into the car.
That would require
  1. the addition of a RADAR transceiver mounted in the front grill
  2. New wiring harness to connect to new radar transceiver
  3. new computer to control the radar system and interface it with the throttle and brakes
  4. a new dashboard that contains the status and warning indicators for the cruise control
  5. a new steering wheel with the buttons to engage and adjust the DCC
  6. the key ignition removed from the steering column
  7. the steering column replaced with one that locks with a solenoid rather than mechanically with the key
  8. New key fobs that would act as the key for the push-button ignition
  9. new door locks that work with the new key fob (i.e. touch sensitive unlocking and push button locking)
  10. a new computer that will recognize the new key fobs (i.e. immobilizer) that will allow communication between the new key fobs and the new door locks and ignition switch
  11. purchase of the shop repair manuals because the dealership would not tackle this job while the vehicle is still under warranty

Approximate cost of parts $10,000. Add an additional 100 hours of labor at $100/hour ($10,000) for a grand total of $20,000.

So yes it can be done if you don't mind voiding the warranty and paying for all future repairs from your own pocket. (and you can afford to not use your RAV for a week or two).

#9 ·
Agreed with one exception. Sell private and buy private. If you're careful you could break even. Otherwise convenience could still cost $5K. At least in Oregon, the OP's state, there's no sales tax. In CT that would add a $2K "convenience" fee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.