Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Do you like/use your OEM fog lights?

5K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  jorgejramos77 
#1 ·
Hi!

New poster, potential Rav4 owner. We have decided to purchase a Rav4, and are now working out the details.

I want to know if you enjoy your fog lights, what conditions they help in (rain/fog/snow/etc) and what conditions they don't help in and whether they need additional modification to be functional.

I have found a lot of information on how to modify/replace/install fog lights, but very little discussion of why you might want to do so (aesthetics or function).

Thank you!

Sydney

#2 ·
IMO, factory fog lights these days are just for aesthetics - to make the car or truck look more expensive. Real ones are amber and have a low wide beam aimed just above the road. They are effective in actual fog only w/o the headlights on. Had them added to my Volvo P1800 years ago but haven't seen the need for them in many years.
Both my RAV4 and '01 F-250 have the decorative type but I never use them because I'm not trying to impress anyone. But I probably should know how to turn them on in case one low beam burns out.

Reactions: Ott. and Douglas007
#3 ·
The only situations I've found a use for them is in heavy Lake Effect Snow conditions. They cut through the lower area and make it easier to see the first 10' of road in front of me at slow speeds. I will also use them in heavy rain/storm conditions to enhance the front display of my RAV for oncoming traffic.

Otherwise they are off.

#4 ·
I've used mine on many occasions already. While the option to turn them on w/o the normal headlights on would be best, I would say that these work quite well and since they are halogen bulbs emit broad spectrum light. Having the lenses tinted amber is more "aesthetics" than anything since you are just limiting the overall output of the lights.

The OEMs on my Rav 4.4 work quite well with a low, wide spread. There is a collar on the turn signal stalk (left side) which when twisted turns on the fogs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I agree with the earlier poster that they are purely a styling and perceived status exercise. I live within 300 feet of a fair size lake that is somewhat of a fog magnet and on the days where it is so thick that you have to really crawl slowly to get out of the area, I find the low beam headlights work better. I'm sure the low beams work better in being seen by others as well.

#6 ·
They do help a bit on dark roads and to spread more light towards the sides, what doesn't seem to help much is the halogen bulb the output it minimum besides the ugly yellowish light color, that's why I decided to upgrade with Led's and the improvement is huge. I don't drive in fog or anything like that but I do like the brighter light of the led bulb.

#9 ·
I call them the pot hole spot lights. They do come in handy during and after the winter season. My 14 Rav4 did not come with fogs but I will probably be installing a set in the future. Also I will wire them in like the factory install and locate the button in one of the thousand empty slots that I have.

#11 ·
I have only had the opportunity to use them about two or three times since I bought mine almost a year ago, but in the fog or rain I personally think that they were very helpful in seeing the road better. I am glad that I have them.

#12 ·
I believe the Amber color is so that you are shining a different color light than the fog so that there is contrast, and definitely they have to be low enough to shine Under the fog.
Serious mile driver like truckers, have the Fog light under their bumper extremely close to the ground.
A friend of mine who went to Europe years ago (before ECM) and visited France HAD to put a stick on Yellow plastic cover on their headlights, at the border in order to get into the country, don't have any idea if that still happens.
Ott.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.