Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2007 RAV4 4-cyl AWD Sport IAC Valve

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  paczbro 
#1 ·
Hello, Everyone

I am trying to find somebody who has actually tried AND successfully cleaned the 2007 RAV4 4-cyl AWD idle air control valve.

It is built into the throttle body, (apparently), and, according to the dealer is not serviceable. (Well, duh, of course they would say that - they want your money for a brand new throttle body!), ($950.00, by the way).

I have done my research on the subject, and found out that this particular IAC valve is the vacuum activated type, and does not have any electrical connections to it, (unless, I have been purposefully deceived), so you can't short circuit anything inside.

If you look at the back of the throttle body, you'll see a short vacuum hose coming out of the air intake manifold, and going into a 90° shaped little end of a tiny pipe in the back of the throttle body, and that little end is sticking out of the throttle body side, shaped like a solenoid-type, cylinder. If I am not mistaken, this is where the IAC valve must be enclosed in. And the good news is, that it is a vacuum activated type, nothing can be accidentally short-circuted in there. (Or, so I'm told...)

This is what I think about how to approach this cleaning problem:

Just remove the air intake manifold side of this short vacuum hose, and spray the throttle body cleaner straight into it, as the car is running, the vacuum generated inside the air intake manifold will suck the cleaner in, and, as it is being sprayed, in short bursts, the cleaner will, little-by-little, clean the solenoid inside of the deposits on it, so it could move freely inside that cylindrically shaped side of the throttle body. (It might pop up a 'Check Engine' light due to some vacuum loss, but, that is easily resetable.)

So, this is the theory...

Now, I am not a Pro, and edumacate myself as I go, (including with the help of my kindred spirits, like you all guys, but, if any Pro are out there reading this, could you weigh in your professional wisdom on this one, please.

I am positive, there will be countless greatful readers bookmarking this thread.

Thank you very much, and best regards.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome!
Your post was moved to the correct forum where it'll get more visibility.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.