maybe there will be3 a V6 in 2013 - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownrx7 View Post
Well, they made it look more like the Lexus RX series or the Acuara MDX - not a bad thing.
And then proceeded to cut its balls off by not offering the V6...
I'll wait until they realize how stupid that move was.
Toyota has no choice; the new CAFE regulations mean that Toyota needs to improve fuel economy across the board, or face penalties. If it was a Lexus, sure, Toyota can pay those penalties without a though because the margins are there. Not so with a RAV4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe Lexus plans to offer a version of the Rav4 or another compact utility vehicle and will offer a V6 there. If so they wouldn't want customers buying the cheaper Rav to get the V6.

WJBertrand
2011 Rav4
#13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone know what percentage the V6 had of their total RAV4 sales in each year? The profits vrs. the restrictions may not have been worth it anymore for them.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM

Is there any other compact suv (or crossover that plays in this arena) that has a V6? I am not aware of any. And thus, I agree that this eliminates a big differentiating factor that used to be in favor of the Rav4.

Could it be that they are just eliminating the CURRENT V6 engine for 2013, to be replaced by a different V6, or a turbo 4 cyl in the future? Perhaps something they are working on now, but don't currently have available for the launch?

I have read elsewhere that Toyota is working on turbo options. They are going to have to come up with something to compete with the Ford engines, that is for sure. And I know that they have diesel options in other markets. However I sense that most V6 lovers would NOT appreciate the diesel option in place of the current V6.

Bob
CEO, Dad's Taxi Service
'12 Rav4 Base 4WD w/ Upg Value Pkg.
'12 Camry XLE, '12 Honda Civic EX
#15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,143 Times in 826 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doane2u View Post
Anyone know what percentage the V6 had of their total RAV4 sales in each year? The profits vrs. the restrictions may not have been worth it anymore for them.
Last I heard, the V6 only accounted for about 30% of RAV4 sales. I'm sure that had something to do with it.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
Bob-blehead (11-29-2012)
#16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I've been trying to find that information. Others have posted anything from 5% to 30%. Still looking for hard numbers.

Bob
CEO, Dad's Taxi Service
#17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM

I would also be interested in looking at demographics for the "typical" Rav4 driver/owner (male vs female). If the females are in the majority, then one has to ask how many of them actually look for a V6. Some do, I'm sure. But if the majority of those who bought V6 variants are male, and they are in the minority of buyers, then perhaps there are numbers that really support the drop of the V6.

This might be supported further by the apparent "feminization" that I have seen other male posters refer to, when discussing the styling. Has this segment become targeted specifically to females? I'm sure that some would say it always was.

Of course, the mentioned CAFE standards are sure to play a huge part as well.

Bob
CEO, Dad's Taxi Service

Last edited by Bob-blehead; 11-29-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: grammatical correction
#18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, the Acura RDX comes standard with a 3.5L V6. Of course this is at a higher price point, which is why I speculated on the possibility of an up market CUV from Lexus in the works.

WJBertrand
2011 Rav4
#19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
Yes, the Acura RDX comes standard with a 3.5L V6. Of course this is at a higher price point, which is why I speculated on the possibility of an up market CUV from Lexus in the works.
I have started researching the Acura RDX online. I thought a luxry vehicle would be out of my proce range (and it nearly is), but it is about the same price as a Highlander. If Toyota is saying I have to buy a Highlander to get a V6, then I have to look at other manufacturers in the same price range as the Highlander.

Interesting to note that the RDX went from a turbo 4 to a V6 and improved HP & MPG. Of course their V6 has technology that deactivates some of the cylinders.

Maybe Toyota will add the 6 speed trans to the Highlander before I'm ready to buy.
#20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-blehead View Post
I would also be interested in looking at demographics for the "typical" Rav4 driver/owner (male vs female). If the females are in the majority, then one has to ask how many of them actually look for a V6. Some do, I'm sure. But if the majority of those who bought V6 variants are male, and they are in the minority of buyers, then perhaps there are numbers that really support the drop of the V6.

This might be supported further by the apparent "feminization" that I have seen other male posters refer to, when discussing the styling. Has this segment become targeted specifically to females? I'm sure that some would say it always was.
I'm female and I have a V6, but I do agree and think the car has become more "feminised". It just seems to look like a Honda CRV now which I only really see "Mums" driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page