Well, what does everyone think????!!!!.... - Page 12 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#111 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1240 View Post

I noticed my sister-in-law's Santa Fe has a nice compromise. The spare is mounted under the vehicle with a winch. The crank for the winch is near the hatch opening (the edge of the cargo opening). This lets you use the winch without having to empty the cargo area and it keeps the spare outside (not wasting space inside) with a lift gate rather than a swing door.
Worst mounting system ever. I had that on a Dodge Caravan. They work well when new, but after several years the cable system rusts. Good luck removing the spare when the winch system becomes inoperative. Ever have a look at the spare after several years of it's riding around under the car? Rust, dirt, sand, and grit will have coated the spare. I also vote for under cargo spare wheel storage. The current RAV's spare wheel cover is always getting dirty and is really hard to clean properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#112 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

[VIDEO] 2013 Toyota RAV4 gets presentation video

Here is bit of a video (UK I think) . Sometimes I find a video gives a different impression than a pic.

2008 V6 Sport 4WD Flint Mica
#113 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 PM

I must admit that I'm disappointed with the new design. I bought my 2012 model for roominess in cargo as well as passenger areas. Now the new model loses 1 inch of rear passenger leg room ,another thing is over 1 inch in ground clearance. 2012 already didn't have the highest stance in the segment but this one is a step back.|If anything the ground clearance should be increased. While Rav 4 wasn't designed to be off-roader it was nice to now ,when I was going to my fishing hole, I was coming back home with the muffler.
Although I enjoy sub-floor cargo space the swinging tailgate is a headache so the change is a welcomed feature. Another big disappointments are: Loss of power with no significant increase of fe , acceleration, loss of heated mirrors in the base model and the 6 speed tranny. At least in higher trims Toyota should offer 8 speed gearbox if not for any other reason than to be at least ahead of competition.
Toyota has been accused of being not innovative and producer of boring and outdated cars and I can see now they are working hard for it. To bad since it used to my favorite make.
#114 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meander View Post
..., loss of heated mirrors in the base model ...
Is this true even for Canada?

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway
#115 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meander View Post
I must admit that I'm disappointed with the new design. I bought my 2012 model for roominess in cargo as well as passenger areas. Now the new model loses 1 inch of rear passenger leg room ,another thing is over 1 inch in ground clearance. 2012 already didn't have the highest stance in the segment but this one is a step back.|If anything the ground clearance should be increased. While Rav 4 wasn't designed to be off-roader it was nice to now ,when I was going to my fishing hole, I was coming back home with the muffler.
...snip....
The V4.1 1994-2000 had 7.7" ground clearance

V4.2 2001-2005 had 6.3"

V4.3 2006-2012 had 7.5"

V4.4 2013 has 6.5" about the same as the V4.2 ..interesting. I hope we can see some reviews in the major car magazines soon and I hope they will test them off road and compare them against their in class rivals.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#116 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 AM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doane2u View Post
I hope we can see some reviews in the major car magazines soon and I hope they will test them off road and compare them against their in class rivals.
I think one of the real problems is many of the class rivals themselves. They have forced Toyota to migrate the RAV4 from a Compact Sport Utility Vehicle to a Crossover Car.

Yes, it still has some good cargo options for the "Utility" part, but the "Sport" part has pretty much disappeared, particularly in the castrated 2013 model.

Things like the loss of ground clearance, the loss of any kind of rugged appearance and the dramatic loss of power (among other things) have turned it into a mommy-mobile. It will just be a mini MiniVan.

Sienna wannabe instead of Highlander wannabe. I wonder how long it will be before they figure that out? Would they kill the RAV4 altogether so it doesn't compete with Sienna, just like they crippled it so it won't compete with Highlander?

Toyota had a great idea: A (somewhat) rugged, small vehicle you could drive and park in the city during the week, but still take a little bit offroad for sporty adventures on the weekend, while being able to haul your gear and a passenger or two.

The only "sport" left with it in the future will be taking the kids to their soccer games.

The competition copied it for a while, and then decided to change the whole intent of the class, and have apparently forced Toyota to come along for the slow, underpowered ride.

The clamoring for better MPG and the constant focus on style (fluff) by potential customers outside the original target market pushed that transition even further away from what it was intended to be, and from what I bought mine for.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!

Last edited by DVS; 12-11-2012 at 09:55 AM.
#117 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

I don't think it ever started out as a sporty and off road vehicle.

The original, first version had the highest ground clearance at 7.7" but was grossly under powered.

The 2001-05 dropped down to 6.3" (less than the 2013 at 6.5"), and was applauded by reviewers for it's car like handling yet retained off road ability. Power was increased but was still pretty weak though and it had a hard time passing and getting onto freeways with short on ramps. It was much bigger than the original.

The 2006-12 went back up to 7.5" and the I4 got big boosts in HP and they added the v6, which everyone went gaga over who reviewed it. It became more aerodynamic and comfortable and much quieter, a more civilized crossover with a lot more cargo room.

Now we have the 2013 which is back at the V4.2 height, has about the same I4 HP as the V4.3 with better mpg and still has about the same room as before with a slightly more aerodynamic design.
Irregardless of whether you like the looks, what are the major complaints?

The loss of the V6 - This has got to be the biggest loss.. They really need to replace that with either a reliable supercharged I4 option or better yet, a supercharged diesel that has the torque.

The loss of a dedicated Sport-Sport model. I think they've tried to make up for this with selectable handling and gearing, will be interesting to see how that works out, but for me, I like having the distinction on the separate Sport-Sport model. Most people bought the base sport or the Limited, so they probably weren't pressured to keep the Sport-Sport model.

The size really hasn't changed much from the last generation, you have to go back to the 2001-05 or earlier to get the smaller size that many miss.

I really wish they would come out with a scaled down RAV4, mainly in length that would retain the handling of the Sport-Sport model and the pickup of the V6 That was why I suggested the "Short Sport" add on model in this thread (click here) But look at the voting..
The majority of voters weren't interested, they want more room, that reflects Toys move from the v4.2 to the larger v4.3
About a third of the voters said they would be interested.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#118 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

When I mentioned to my sales rep that I was not happy with the dropping of the V6 he replied that for every V6 that was sold at the dealership 12 I4's were sold. He didn't care.

4ever

2013 LIMITED

Old Age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative. (Chinese proverb)
#119 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doane2u View Post
I don't think it ever started out as a sporty and off road vehicle.

The original, first version had the highest ground clearance at 7.7" but was grossly under powered.

The 2001-05 dropped down to 6.3" (less than the 2013 at 6.5"), and was applauded by reviewers for it's car like handling yet retained off road ability. Power was increased but was still pretty weak though and it had a hard time passing and getting onto freeways with short on ramps. It was much bigger than the original.

The 2006-12 went back up to 7.5" and the I4 got big boosts in HP and they added the v6, which everyone went gaga over who reviewed it. It became more aerodynamic and comfortable and much quieter, a more civilized crossover with a lot more cargo room.

Now we have the 2013 which is back at the V4.2 height, has about the same I4 HP as the V4.3 with better mpg and still has about the same room as before with a slightly more aerodynamic design.
Irregardless of whether you like the looks, what are the major complaints?

The loss of the V6 - This has got to be the biggest loss.. They really need to replace that with either a reliable supercharged I4 option or better yet, a supercharged diesel that has the torque.

The loss of a dedicated Sport-Sport model. I think they've tried to make up for this with selectable handling and gearing, will be interesting to see how that works out, but for me, I like having the distinction on the separate Sport-Sport model. Most people bought the base sport or the Limited, so they probably weren't pressured to keep the Sport-Sport model.

The size really hasn't changed much from the last generation, you have to go back to the 2001-05 or earlier to get the smaller size that many miss.

I really wish they would come out with a scaled down RAV4, mainly in length that would retain the handling of the Sport-Sport model and the pickup of the V6 That was why I suggested the "Short Sport" add on model in this thread (click here) But look at the voting..
The majority of voters weren't interested, they want more room, that reflects Toys move from the v4.2 to the larger v4.3
About a third of the voters said they would be interested.
But one has to remember that although 4.2 had lower ground clearance it also had shorter wheel base thus allowing it to have very similar "off-road"capabilities. 4.4 version maintain wheel base but it's lower. Even its sister the Venza has 8.5" clearance. Just as I said before Toyota has turned Rav 4 into station wagon that is useless to me. I guess when it come to replacement of my current Rav I will be forced to look somewhere else.
Good luck Toyota with your new customer conquest but our path is splitting now.
#120 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever View Post
When I mentioned to my sales rep that I was not happy with the dropping of the V6 he replied that for every V6 that was sold at the dealership 12 I4's were sold. He didn't care.
I'm not surprised. We have to remember we're on a forum that likes RAV4's to the point that we spend time talking about them.. how many normal people that own them do you think even care?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page