Well, what does everyone think????!!!!.... - Page 5 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#41 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to redrogodbz
2 questions:

1. Is it any bigger than the out going rav4?
2. Is it heavier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#42 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 PM

It's a Doughnut Spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanib View Post
From the pics that I saw, the full spare is still there but under the cargo.
If they had put in a 2.7L, many would be more satisfied. But I guess it would encroach on the Venza.

Something tells me Toyota will drop in a 2.7L in a 2015-16 model. I was expecting at least 200 Hp in the 4.4
I just looked at a high res photo of the spare and it's definitely a doughnut spare, says "for temporary use only".
#43 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrogodbz View Post
2 questions:

1. Is it any bigger than the out going rav4?
2. Is it heavier?
Compared with the outgoing RAV4, the 2013 model is marginally shorter (by two inches), ever-so-slightly wider (by 1.1 inches), and a touch shorter (by just 0.9 inches). Despite the slight size reduction, Toyota has managed to increase cargo space by 1.2 cu ft or 0.4 cu ft with the second row seats up or down, respectively. There is no longer an available third row of seating. The 2013 RAV4's 38.4/73.4 cu ft of cargo space is the most of any vehicle in its class.

2008 V6 Sport 4WD Flint Mica
#44 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Ho, hum, looks much like most of the competition, with less power than the CR-V's 185 HP, and the Ford Escape with the 2.0L Ecoboost engine will blow the RAV4's doors off and tow 3500 lbs. If the spare wheel situation is anything like the CR-V's people who have to extricate it will certainly benefit chiropractors' bank accounts.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#45 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 06:03 AM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The 2013 RAV4 is now just a clone of the Honda CR-V. Period.

Everything functional that made the RAV4 distinctive, such as the availble V6 power and performance, underfloor storage, full-sized spare tire and available towing capacity is GONE.

These features on a small, easy to drive/maneuver/park compact SUV were the reasons I bought mine.

Toyota put "me too" form over function.

They should be ashamed of themselves for taking away such fantastically useful options and features on a vehicle this size.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
#46 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 AM

I want to see one in person. Our local dealer has two 2012 V6's left. I would bet they will be gone today!

At least they did away with runflats! Not so sure about the full size "donut". Subaru has the same approach on their Outback....daughter just bought one.

Rob West
#47 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Now it has exactly zero to make it stand out from the competition. Without a V-6 or the cavernous cargo area allowed by the external spare, what does this bring to the table?
The V6 RAV was an awesome segment buster. 100hp extra at a cost of about 1.5 mpg! The external spare and huge cargo hold made it east to stand up a 29″ mountain bike with the front wheel off.
PS- The Highlander doesnít have as tall of a cargo area, making bike hauling tougher, and is about the most boring to drive vehicle Iíve ever piloted. The Venza doesnít do anything the V6 RAV couldnít do better. No way will I step ďupĒ to one of those now that the V6 RAV is no more. Iíll move to another brand. Looks like Iíll have to spring for an RDX, 6-cyl Outback or maybe the turbo Santa Fe.
I feel the same way as you. My wife has an 2007 V6 Sport and the new Rav offers nothing for her. We live in the mountains and need the power to climb the hills, which the V6 does with ease. Santa Fe Turbo is beautiful with that panoramic sunroof and heated rear seats and steering wheel. RDX is also sweet and when the time comes those two are on the top of our list. Toyota makes great cars but they are as boring as vanilla pudding!!
#48 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 AM

To me Toyota did an oxymoron with storage. They say more but did away with the storage where the spare now lives.
For me that is where tools, extra supplies and other essentials for driving around are kept.
I will be looking elsewhere in the future.....

Yuma,

In the Free State of Arizona.
#49 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

After a major redesign the exhaust outlet still looks like it was a complete after-thought. It still just hangs down there like the designers forget they need to run an exhaust pipe out the back. Just seems like most of the competition integrates the exhaust outlets into the rear bumper for a cleaner more stylized look.

Got a little Captain in ya?....aaarrrggghhh
#50 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV N US View Post
Compared with the outgoing RAV4, the 2013 model is marginally shorter (by two inches), ever-so-slightly wider (by 1.1 inches), and a touch shorter (by just 0.9 inches). Despite the slight size reduction, Toyota has managed to increase cargo space by 1.2 cu ft or 0.4 cu ft with the second row seats up or down, respectively. There is no longer an available third row of seating. The 2013 RAV4's 38.4/73.4 cu ft of cargo space is the most of any vehicle in its class.

I actually welcome the shorter and wider direction and it's also a bit lower from what I heard. Haven't seen on in person yet, but it looks like there is not very much leg/knee room in the back seat. With that huge dash and front end it looks like the front seats are forced back more too. I hope the back seat can be pushed back more when needed. My 2010 has tons of room in the back seat, this new one looks like the situation on my old 2002.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page