Well, what does everyone think????!!!!.... - Page 8 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#71 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Veliksam
Like my grandfather used to say "There are passengers for every train", so I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will be ok with the new model. I'll wait for the next train

Sent from my HTC ONE X

-----2012 V6 Sport, Tow Prep, & 4x4-----
HU: Kenwood DNN991HD & back-up cam,
JDM HID Projector Headlights w/Toshiba D4S Bulbs, JDM Vanguard Tail Lights
Front DRL's, LED Bumper Park/Brake lights,
Laser Interceptor Quad & Passport 9500ix
Red "SPORT" Theme
----------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#72 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
I have to say that I'm unfortunately very underwhelmed by this redesign. Agree with a lot of the other sentiments, that a lot of what set the RAV4 apart from the others and gave you a reason to buy one are now gone. The 2013 Ford Escape SEL rental car that I had a few months back with the higher spec 2.0L Ecoboost engine was quite a nice ute. Looked better inside and out, very nice material quality and some nice design touches that showed Ford was really paying attention, more interesting powertrain options, and is overall a far more interesting vehicle to me than this new RAV4. Not perfect by any means and there were definitely some things I didn't like about it, but I can't think of any reason why I'd want to buy this new 4.4 RAV4 over the Escape.

I do like that Toyota has FINALLY added different driving "modes" with the Eco, Normal, and Sport mode options that affects the AWD system, throttle response, and shift mapping. Anybody familiar with my posts here knows I had more than a few complaints about the V-6/5AT powertrain calibration on the 4.3. I'm guessing that these new driving mode options along with the full manual control I see on the shifter rather than just a gated pattern would resolve most of my complaints about the driving characteristics of the 4.3, except that the V-6 powertrain which was absolutely positively most in need of stuff like this to tame is now gone! WTF??

I was the one that started the rumor that the V-6 option might disappear from the next-gen RAV4 well over a year ago, seeing as how the new 4Runner no longer had a V-8 option anymore and the increasingly stringent CAFE regulations. Didn't think it was actually going to come true. What I'm most surprised though is that there's no optional engine. Maybe it's just bad timing. It's been confirmed that Toyota is working on turbocharged 4-cylinder engines, so I'm guessing they're simply not ready yet and that one of these might show up in a year or two.

A few things TBD... Interior looks nicer, but mostly the same. Trim is just different. Hope they've improved the interior quality a lot. You can't tell looking at pictures because pictures always look nice. Need to go sit in one. I have seat time with the 2.5L/6AT combo in my folks 2012 Camry, and it's a seriously buzzy and annoying sounding powertrain combo that isn't the least bit inspiring to drive. The gearing on the 6 speed automatic is nice and tight and does keep the engine in the powerband a lot better, but I sincerely hope given that since this is going to be the ONLY powertrain option on the RAV4 that they've made taming NVH a much bigger priority on this vehicle than the Camry. The Ford's 2.0L Ecoboost engine is nice and refined and sounds good, just as much so as BMW's 2.0L turbo.

I know it'll sell well, and if Toyota is smart they'll drop the 2.0L turbo they're developing into this puppy as soon as it's ready (and if they don't they're stupid), but I fear like a lot of you that the new design has simply lost its edge and reason for people to buy it, and that it's not going to be as successful. I guess I'm happy that my old 4.3/V6 is still in the family now. Yup a 'classic', whodathunk?

4.4 Pros, as I see it.

- better fuel mileage, but not class leading
- FINALLY a 6 speed automatic for the 4-cylinder
- nicer interior, hopefully
- multiple drive modes to tame the crazy throttle and shift mapping before
- smarter/better control over the 4WD system incl Sport mode

4.4 Cons

- apparently less cargo room, incl no sub-trunk area which was HUGE
- no more 3rd row seat option
- apparently less rear seat leg room
- shorter rear cargo opening
- V-6 discontinued, and no optional engine.
- kinda ugly

Seems more like a step sideways than a step forward. I really can't think of why I'd want to even consider the new RAV4. Loud and annoying sounding 4-cylinder only is automatically a non-starter with me, unless it really is night and day better than what's in the Camry! I always thought the V-6 in the RAV4 was overkill, but the biggest reason I got it was for the better sound and refinement vs a 4-cylinder. That and the 4-speed auto gearing in the 4-cylinder was atrocious at low speeds. No turbodiesel option. No V-6 (you can still get a 292hp V6 in the Chevy Traverse). Not interested in Hybrids or EVs.... Sorry I need to be hitting 60 mph in 7 seconds or less and it's not happening with an NA 2.5L engine.
I will note that the 2.5L engine is no slouch; when I bought my RAV4, there were a few 2008's kicking around with the old 2.4L engine, and I did compare the two and went with the 2009's with the new 2.5L engine. The 2.5L engine tends to give the bulk of its power and torque at lower RPM's. My RAV4 wants to go if I goose the throttle when I need the boost of power on the highway to pass. The engine noise doesn't bother me as much as the road and wind noise; so if they improved the insulation and sound dampening on the new RAV4, it should help.
#73 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 07:14 AM

(Thread Starter)
It looks like there won't be a lot of 4.3 owners changing over any time soon.
It will end up being a whole new generation of RAV4 owners.
Makes it easier to tolerate the little things you don't like when you compare them to the stuff that Toyota missed the mark on the new gen.
Probably the same as the 4.2 owners when the 4.3 came out, they prefer their model.

Toyota Family x2
2007 Rav
2006 Tundra
#74 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePointblank View Post
I will note that the 2.5L engine is no slouch; when I bought my RAV4, there were a few 2008's kicking around with the old 2.4L engine, and I did compare the two and went with the 2009's with the new 2.5L engine. The 2.5L engine tends to give the bulk of its power and torque at lower RPM's. My RAV4 wants to go if I goose the throttle when I need the boost of power on the highway to pass. The engine noise doesn't bother me as much as the road and wind noise; so if they improved the insulation and sound dampening on the new RAV4, it should help.
The RAV4 rental I had a few months ago, I'm pretty sure was at least a 2009 with the 2.5L, and aside from the 4 speed automatic gearing being godawful I was actually pretty impressed with the engine. The experience is totally different in the Camry where it sounds and feels very buzzy and whirring and incredibly annoying. I know manufacturers can make different variants of these engines with or without fancier motor mounts, and with or without balance shafts. I'm guessing they cheaped out in the Camry (2012/2.5L/6AT). As a sole powertrain choice, I'm hoping they go all out and do the 2.5L engine properly in the RAV4.

Steve
12 BMW X5d (on order)
11 BMW 335cic
02 Highlander Ltd V6 AWD
07 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD (SOLD!)
99 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd (Sold)
01 Honda Accord EX V6 (rip)
#75 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzsmum View Post
It looks like there won't be a lot of 4.3 owners changing over any time soon.
It will end up being a whole new generation of RAV4 owners.
Makes it easier to tolerate the little things you don't like when you compare them to the stuff that Toyota missed the mark on the new gen.
Probably the same as the 4.2 owners when the 4.3 came out, they prefer their model.

I was having the same thoughts... it does not matter what 4.3 owners think!
I would have preferred better gas mileage with the new 6AT though.
Personally I almost never use the bottom cargo space unless I am doing a road trip.

But only a test drive will tell you if you love it or hate it.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "EUROPE" - Secret Society
#76 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 AM

i think i'm glad i bought a 2010 V6.
#77 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 01:35 PM

I have had all 3 generations of the Rav4. I had a first generation, then purchased a 2005 Manual transmission the last year of the second generation, and my wife got one of the first 3rd-generation V6 models in 2006. We absolutely love the V6 Rav4 which now has 115,000 miles on it.

We were both disappointed to see the V6 dropped in 2013. How disappointed? We went to our dealer yesterday and purchased one of his last two V6 limited AWD models that's due in Dec. We got it for $900 under invoice and 0% interest 60 months financing by Toyota. We're keeping the 2006 V6 and are adding the 2012 V6 to the stable. I believe the V6 Rav4 is destined for cult status like the Supra.

All of you with V6 Rav4's? ....... hang onto them! All the rest of you? ..... Sorry, you'll never know what you're missing. :-)
#78 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

yeah, I said that earlier in some other thread, we're sitting on a good investment and will probably see our 6's depriciate a lot slower and eventually they may even go up in value, you never know.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#79 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdancer View Post
I have had all 3 generations of the Rav4. I had a first generation, then purchased a 2005 Manual transmission the last year of the second generation, and my wife got one of the first 3rd-generation V6 models in 2006. We absolutely love the V6 Rav4 which now has 115,000 miles on it.

We were both disappointed to see the V6 dropped in 2013. How disappointed? We went to our dealer yesterday and purchased one of his last two V6 limited AWD models that's due in Dec. We got it for $900 under invoice and 0% interest 60 months financing by Toyota. We're keeping the 2006 V6 and are adding the 2012 V6 to the stable. I believe the V6 Rav4 is destined for cult status like the Supra.

All of you with V6 Rav4's? ....... hang onto them! All the rest of you? ..... Sorry, you'll never know what you're missing. :-)
LOL whoa there horsey, I dunno about that but yeah they'll probably hold their value a little bit better.

Steve
12 BMW X5d (on order)
11 BMW 335cic
02 Highlander Ltd V6 AWD
07 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD (SOLD!)
99 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd (Sold)
01 Honda Accord EX V6 (rip)
The Following User Says Thank You to SteVTEC For This Useful Post:
ikkoku (12-04-2012)
#80 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 08:41 PM

It looks like a Nissan Murano.

I hope they bring back the V6 in a year or two. Otherwise, the other compact SUV brands will surpass it. The V6 engine made it stand out hands down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page