Would you buy 2013 Rav4? - Page 10 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

View Poll Results: Would you buy 2013 Rav4?
Yes, I like it. 89 40.64%
No, I don't like the design. 40 18.26%
No, they dropped the V6. 57 26.03%
I would if it still had the V6. 33 15.07%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#91 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 05:51 AM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLRAV View Post
Would you guys be interested in therapy (perhaps group therapy) to help you deal with this recent disappointment? Time to move on..... for at least one model year.
I thought this was group therapy.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
Agreed, and Amen! I had a similar experience on my 4.3 RAV4 I4 test drive. The 4.3 RAV4 V6 destroyed it on an uphill freeway entrance ramp and had no trouble at all merging with traffic.

I find it interesting (and maybe disturbing?) how these days so many people just accept the fact that it's perfectly reasonable for something like a hill to cause noticeable performance issues for a passenger vehicle.

A hill!!!

Someday we'll probably all be stuck driving vehicles that can just barely get out of their own way.

Unless a totally new (and environmentally friendlier) drivetrain/power source comes along (hydrogen? electric? Dilithium crystals?) that provides affordability and plenty of power, and/or that much lighter strong materials (e.g. carbon fiber) are standard, I fear these may be the last of the "good old days."
It already has happened, I saw droves of people get out of their vehicles screaming and crying that their vehicles would not go anywhere! Help us RAV v6 Help US!
RAV V6s do downshift on hills just like every other vehicle.
#93 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:38 PM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearview View Post
RAV V6s do downshift on hills just like every other vehicle.
I never said they didn't downshift (where on Earth did you get that idea? Desperation?), only that they had no trouble at all handling it exceptionally well because there was plenty of power available for that task.

If you disagree with me, that's fine, but I'd prefer it if you wouldn't imply that I said things I didn't.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!

Last edited by DVS; 01-18-2013 at 07:20 PM.
#94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

I would answer no but not for any of the reasons listed in the choices. The only reason I would not at least consider a 2013 Rav4 is because we bought a 2011 less than two years ago. As we keep our cars 10+ years, I'm just not in the market right now. If our '11 were stolen or totalled (god forbid) we would seriously consider the 2013.

WJBertrand
2011 Rav4
#95 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 PM

We wanted to trade in a 2011 Camry for something more bike rack friendly this past weekend. The dealer showed us a couple 4.4s that were just delivered. We opted for a 2012 Sport with V-6. So much fun to drive. We'd test drove a I-4 in 2011 and the Camry had better pick-up on the freeway. Although the interior is more Avalon-like in the '13, I couldn't get past the gutless 4 cylinder.
#96 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

I have a 2009 V6 Sport. There are two things I don't like about it. The transmission and the rear spare tire (thus causing the door to be the swing out type).

What I like about the new one:
no rear spare tire and lift up tailgate
manual shift mode (because obviously, it'll be impossible to get a true manual Rav4 so this is the next best option)

However, not sure I can get used to the 4-cyl after being in a V6 vehicle since 2003 (I had a Mazda6 V6 manual before the Rav4).

2009 Rav4 V6 4X4 Sport
#97 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 12:57 PM

Anybody have real world MPG figures on the 2013 rav4 yet? I'm in the market for a new small SUV and considering this.
#98 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 05:03 PM

I think some of you guys are over reacting... we've owned 3 Rav's, an 03, 08 and now a 2012 and all had I4 engines. We test drove both V-6's and 4's both times, and I couldn't see the extra cost and lower fuel mileage of the 6. 0 to 60 times were about 10 seconds with the 03 ( didn't want to rag on the clutch too hard) and about 9 with the 08. Both cars got around 26 to 28 mpg highway consistently, which is why we got the 2012. I haven't tested it for times or mileage yet, but drivability seems to be about the same so I don't expect it to be much different, although it's a little more sensitive to low temperatures and mileage. I've passed lots of semis at over 120k and have never had an issue with power. No, it's not a race car, but I didn't buy a race car, I bought an SUV.
#99 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Though there are a few reasons I prefer my V6 2008 Sport to the new RAV, I have no doubt that it is going to be a decent vehicle. When I am ready to change vehicles, it will definitely be at the least considered.

2008 V6 Sport 4WD Flint Mica
#100 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 PM

In reply to my enquiry regarding Toyota dropping the V8 in the redesigned 4R and dropping the V6 in the Rav4

Quote:
Dear Mr....: Thank you for your recent correspondence. With regard to the options available, market trends are closely studied to give us a better idea of what vehicles and options are in demand. Then based on our findings, our Product Planning department is able to choose those vehicles and options that best suit the needs of the buying public. We recognize, of course, that these choices may not meet the needs and fulfill the desires of all potential customers. However, we have noted your comments and have forwarded them to our Product Planning department for their information and future consideration. Thank you again for taking the time to write. Sincerely, John Ross Customer Interaction Centre Toyota Canada Inc.
Market trends? Ya that would explain why the first year of the redesigned 4R had a 4 cylinder engine in it. There were loads of "buyers" pleading with Toyota to put a weak 4 cylinder engine in a 4Runner. So many people ran out and bought a 4 cylinder 4R that Toyota cancelled it after the first year.

When I told my wife about no V8 in the new 4R and no V6 in the new Rav4 her response was

" what's with Toyota putting baby engines in their vehicles"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page