The 2013 "SS" Runabout/Short Sport - Page 4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in this alternate RAV4 SS concept? Multiple choce
Great, I would buy it! 3 9.38%
Yes, if base $ costs less than the other models. 0 0%
Yes, I mainly want a smaller, but fun to drive RAV4 3 9.38%
No, I require more room & would buy the larger model 13 40.63%
No, I don't like the idea, even as an alternative model. 6 18.75%
No, I don't think anyone would buy it 7 21.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#31 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Too late! Mini Cooper already has such a vehicle for sale:

MINI Cooper S Countryman ALL4: Top Features at MINIUSA.com

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doane2u View Post
Those wanting utility are free to buy the other, longer models with the larger cargo area. It wouldn't be the only model available, it would be an alternate available for those who want a fun to drive, on or off road vehicle.
I don't think age has anything to do with who would drive it unless they are older people who have lost the ability to have fun in life, and if 55 cubic feet isn't big enough for you I'm wondering where you shop that has grocery bags that big?
And, yes, I know the V6 is gone, I never suggested a V6.
Yeah, I know that you didn't suggest a V6, but reading through the responses someone else did.

Another consideration - in my experience with short wheelbased vehicles they ride like buckboards on some of the concrete-surfaced highways where there are closely spaced and/or exaggerated joints. And the ride can be torture in some off-roading situations. Older people may still want to have fun in life, but often (speaking from experience) the bones and joints won't tolerate well the punishment which teens and twenties can absorb with no problem and can even enjoy.

Still, the concept may appeal to some drivers.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRAV4 View Post
Too late! Mini Cooper already has such a vehicle for sale:

MINI Cooper S Countryman ALL4: Top Features at MINIUSA.com
Lots of older adults, women and men, driving these too! I had a very early mini and they are a lot of fun, but too small for me and I like the higher up ride of a crossover. For all the sporty looks and descriptions of their supercharged Cooper Countryman All4 they still can't break the 7 second 0-60 barrier. And starting at about $35k, no thanks. And all of that wouldn't be so bad if they were just reliable.. build quality is pretty bad and they have one of the worst maintenance records.. look in any Consumer Reports yearly auto coverage.

If I were looking for a small fun to drive package like this I'd go with the Fiat Abarth for a lot less money and a 6.8 0-60 mph, even though they don't have the stretched version like the Countryman. See this review in Car & Driver (click here)

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#34 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogson View Post
Yeah, I know that you didn't suggest a V6, but reading through the responses someone else did.

Another consideration - in my experience with short wheelbased vehicles they ride like buckboards on some of the concrete-surfaced highways where there are closely spaced and/or exaggerated joints. And the ride can be torture in some off-roading situations. Older people may still want to have fun in life, but often (speaking from experience) the bones and joints won't tolerate well the punishment which teens and twenties can absorb with no problem and can even enjoy.

Still, the concept may appeal to some drivers.
Yes, I mentioned earlier that one of the problems of shorter wheel base cars is a choppy ride on some surface bump ratios, I agree with you. And, just like my sport model, it would have a stiffer suspension, but I don't mind that for the better handling... and it's not like you are out jogging or something! Anyway, I understand completely how many people like a more comfortable ride over a sportier one.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 PM

I have always liked the older, smaller models of the Rav4, the CR-V, and the Pilot. While I wouldn't purchase the SS as originally pictured (there is just something proportionately wrong with it), I would consider something along that line.

A guy who was a friend of a lady I dated many years ago, took me for a ride in a Pontiac Fiero with a V8 in it. Now THAT was fun!

Bob
CEO, Dad's Taxi Service
'12 Rav4 Base 4WD w/ Upg Value Pkg.
'12 Camry XLE, '12 Honda Civic EX
#36 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Hey, Mazda is stealing your idea! Mazda CX-3 on way | Auto Express

2008 V6 Sport 4WD Flint Mica
The Following User Says Thank You to RAV N US For This Useful Post:
doane2u (12-10-2012)
#37 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
That looks interesting, and... 80 mpg! But, smaller than I would be happy with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page