4.4 Test drives and reviews - Page 5 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#41 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I drove one too and I was amazed at the handling, felt more like a sports car than a SUV. I hope they bring that turbo diesel over here, but even with out extra power, it still is sufficient to have a blast driving it.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#42 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

I also seriously considered the Mazda, but it wasn't available in either the exterior or interior colors I wanted.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#43 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 04:35 PM

Interior colours

That's a good point , CX5 interior colour choice is rather poor. Years ago I was ready to buy the present 6 ,but again it felt inside like a family catacomb.
#44 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, while color preferences are individulistic, for me sitting in the Mazda was like being in a dark prison cell - or a catacomb . . .

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#45 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 12:36 AM

The RAV4 was never designed for "adventuresome off-road capabilities." Maybe a well-traveled dirt road, but that's about it. How many of us have ever gone "4-wheelin" in our RAV? The idea that the 2013 model RAV is really different from previous RAVs, that with it Toyota has abandoned one constituency (the rugged 4-wheelin dude) in favor of another (soccer moms) is hilarious. As far as our RAVs are concerned, most of us are soccer moms.

If my 2011 4 cyl. 4-wd had come with a 5 speed, I doubt I'd be looking at something else. But since it's only a 4 speed, and its mpg is not that good, I'm going to move up to the new model 6 speed RAV as soon as the bugs are out of it. And I may even go with the 2-wd this time.
#46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 02:22 AM

I wonder if you'll order new Rav with shopping mall convenience package. If there no difference for you how high is the ground clearance then why bother with Rav when you can get a station wagon with better fe .
#47 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 AM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by windman35 View Post
The idea that the 2013 model RAV is really different from previous RAVs, that with it Toyota has abandoned one constituency (the rugged 4-wheelin dude) in favor of another (soccer moms) is hilarious. As far as our RAVs are concerned, most of us are soccer moms.

If my 2011 4 cyl. 4-wd had come with a 5 speed, I doubt I'd be looking at something else. But since it's only a 4 speed, and its mpg is not that good, I'm going to move up to the new model 6 speed RAV as soon as the bugs are out of it. And I may even go with the 2-wd this time.

I don't think anybody ever claimed the RAV4 was a rock crawler. It's been a "soft roader," not an "off roader." But at least where I am when you get many inches of snow at a time, the loss in ground clearance in the 4.4 CAN make a significant difference. It could readily be the difference between getting stuck and being able to move (or even leave).

Then there's the inability of the 4.4 RAV4 to tow anything heavier than...a shopping cart. Ok, that's an exaggeration, but towing can be useful for many people, other than just rock crawlers.

If you're on a road trip and get a flat tire, having an easy to access full sized spare that can go thousands of miles at any speed can be quite helpful, especially if you're in the middle of nowhere with a load of cargo (e.g. luggage) in the back when it happens. In the 4.4 you have to unload your cargo just to get to the "training wheel" spare tire. Hope for your cargo's sake that it isn't raining. And hope that you don't have to go very far, or very fast. And hope that you have room to put the full sized, dirty flat tire in right next to your cargo. In the 4.3 you can put the flat tire back on the swing gate. Easy peasy.

The loss of the underfloor storage bins is also a major bummer. I keep jumper cables and a "winter kit" (blankets, gloves, etc.) and a first aid kit plus the tow hitch ball mount and ball when not in use in there, without the loss of any regular cargo space. Plus they don't slide around.

Make no mistake about it: Some really useful and functional features for regular people (other than just soccer moms) have been lost in the 4.4 re"design." Thankfully, at least they added French stitching to the dash and plastic-covered seats.

But I really do hope you enjoy your future Toyota CR-W. I'm sure you'll have a great time taking it back and forth to the grocery store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meander View Post
I wonder if you'll order new Rav with shopping mall convenience package.
LOL!!!!

Don't forget the optional cosmetics holders and tampon dispenser.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!

Last edited by DVS; 12-27-2012 at 09:04 AM.
#48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 12:35 PM

That and a price check scanner.
#49 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 01:08 PM

But I really do hope you enjoy your future Toyota CR-W. I'm sure you'll have a great time taking it back and forth to the grocery store.

DVS, Most of the year I'm on a V-Twin cruiser, you know, a motorcycle: a 103 cubic inch that would eat your RAV for breakfast. That's where I get my rocks off. I get into my RAV only when I have to, and when I do I don't dupe myself into thinking I'm cool. Here's a news flash for you. When you're in a RAV4, you're a soccer mom. You may think you're cool but you're not. If you want to be cool, buy a Jeep (or a v-twin cruiser, but that would assume a set of balls, which I suspect you don't have).

Windman35
#50 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 AM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meander View Post
That and a price check scanner.
Good one!

Let's not forget the optional coupon printer, too!

Those Entune apps get better and better.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page