4.4 Test drives and reviews - Page 7 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#61 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 AM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockeverly View Post
I am not saying buy a Tundra or 4Runner, buy what works for you.
He did. The point is, he can't any more (at least not from Toyota, without spending significantly more money).

Softroading has never been about taking a vehicle where you would otherwise be burying a 4Runner or Tundra. Meander never said it was.

Many think the 7.5" ground clearance was just barely enough to do some softroading, and dropping the ground clearance by about 20% will end that, or at least end that without fear of getting stuck and/or inflicting damage to the vehicle in their favorite spots where the 4.3 was proven able to handle it.

For me, the ground clearance loss is more often about when we get several inches of snow at a time where I am. A 20% loss of ground clearance is significant.

The 3rd gen RAV4 *did* serve markets that the 4th gen cannot. Be it softroading without sweating as much as you would in a 4th gen, or towing, or having the confidence to pass quickly and more safely, or more affordably hauling extra kids around with the 3rd row than having to buy a Highlander, or utilizing the underfloor storage bins without the 3rd row, or having more comfort with a full sized spare tire available, or whatever.

While Toyota will do whatever they think will make them the most money or gives them the most sales bragging rights, we who bought the 3rd gen for those features that Toyota threw away like the trash have been left out in the cold, unless we can pony up lots of extra money for a Highlander, which is what Toyota says we must do if we want to own a vehicle with a Toyota badge that can meet our wants and needs.

One of the questions for each buyer will be: How much is that Toyota badge really worth?

The answer for me is: Very significantly less than it used to be. I don't want a vehicle that is larger and gets worse mileage. The size and feature balance in my 2012 RAV4 is just right for me.

I will giggle my butt off if 2013 model RAV4 sales in the US are not noticeably better than 2012 model RAV4 sales in the US were. Toyota gave up about 15+% of the RAV4 market (dropping the V6 and 3rd row) and expect to not only make up for that but get an extra 15% on top of that to clear 200,000 units in sales for 2013.

It's gutsy, I'll give them that. At the very least it will be interesting to see if their marketing department was right.

I'm kind of hoping they were wrong, myself, but one would assume they do have market research and statistics on their side.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
While Toyota is all about MPG it is sad they have left behind the V6.

When comparing the 3 main SUV/CUV's from Toyota I had ordered my choices as:

1. 4Runner
2. Rav4
3. Highlander

The Highlander V6 vs the Rav4 V6 did not seem to make sense. The Rav4 had to be cannibalizing some sales of the Highlander. It has almost as much cargo space with seats up, better MPG with a V6, and was cheaper with better features.

I wanted the 4Runner but couldn't justify the extra $4k at the time, same thing for MPG and again not a ton of extra cargo space w/ all seats up.

To each their own! I'm incredibly satisfied w/ my 2012 Rav4 Limited w/ V6 & Entune.
#63 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 AM

Many think the 7.5" ground clearance was just barely enough to do some softroading, and dropping the ground clearance by about 20% will end that, or at least end that without fear of getting stuck and/or inflicting damage to the vehicle in their favorite spots where the 4.3 was proven able to handle it.

CX5 coming up with new 2.5 l plus Diesel engine plus having 8.5 ground clearance plus improved reliability makes an easy switch. For now ,having bought 2012 Rav, I'm out of market but I will keep watching Toyota . Hopefully they will change RAV to accommodate the rest of us ,if not there will be no hard feelings.
#64 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
#65 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 AM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
According to this article and the recent sales announcements from Toyota, 2012 sales of 171,877 were only 875 units shy of the 172,752 all time high of RAV4s sold in 2007. I did not know the numbers for the record year.

I found it interesing how this author goes on and on about mom-centic features in the 2013 RAV4, and then still complains about how it isn't mom-centric enough.

Wow.

> The powerplant is sufficient for the mall-shopping and school-drop-off duties the CUV will be called on to perform, although mid-range torque could be better for highway passing.

RAV4, how far you've fallen.

Maybe we should be thankful to Toyota for keeping it more useful than just a mommy-mobile station wagon for as long as they did, compared to the likes of Honda.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
#66 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 AM

It's clear that the majority on this board wants the V6, too bad for Toyota they don't see the same way, and decided to completely cut us off. I feel Toyota is saying, hey it's time for an upgrade, buy Acura, Audi, BMW, Merc or any other car.
#67 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergr4 View Post
It's clear that the majority on this board wants the V6, too bad for Toyota they don't see the same way, and decided to completely cut us off. I feel Toyota is saying, hey it's time for an upgrade, buy Acura, Audi, BMW, Merc or any other car.
It obvious their PR department spent too much time on women forums and not this one.
#68 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergr4 View Post
Majority of their truck market represented online want a diesel and we still do not have that after all these years. Although we think we are the majority, we are barely the minority when it comes to total owners.
#69 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

One more important (to me) issue.
I have not read anywhere that the 2013 RAV LTD has a 120V AC power outlet like my '11 LTD has. If they cheaped out on the 120V AC outlet for the '13, that is inexcusable.
#70 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird1 View Post
One more important (to me) issue.
I have not read anywhere that the 2013 RAV LTD has a 120V AC power outlet like my '11 LTD has. If they cheaped out on the 120V AC outlet for the '13, that is inexcusable.
Apparently Toyota took away visors with the extension as well. Anyway I'm out of this topic cause I don't care for the new model anymore.
Ciao.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page