4.4 Test drives and reviews - Page 8 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#71 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Motor Trend test:

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE First Test - Motor Trend

Good= 8.4 sec 0 to 60
Bad= 22.5 mpg for the FWD (are you kidding me?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverMR2 View Post
New Motor Trend test:

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE First Test - Motor Trend

Good= 8.4 sec 0 to 60
Bad= 22.5 mpg for the FWD (are you kidding me?)
It also looked like Toyota changed the front head rests to a less painful angle . . . .less pain in the neck

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
#73 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Another thought it doesn't say too much new stuff:
http://www.auto123.com/en/news/2013-...w?artid=151413

2008 V6 Sport 4WD Flint Mica
#74 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to AWDios Send a message via MSN to AWDios Send a message via Yahoo to AWDios
Having driven the one we have on the lot here, I have to say there are a lot of improvements from a 4cyl to 4cyl comparisson. So much quieter, much more planted feeling ride. The sport mode is probably more noticeable than in the Avalon. Transmission makes a really big difference in power delivery. All in all, I like it, but wouldn't trade my v6 for one.

http://www.pstoc.org
Puget Sound Toyota Owners Club
Sales and Leasing Consultant - Toyota of Kirkland
http://www.facebook.com/rogercarrTOK
#75 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDios View Post
Having driven the one we have on the lot here, I have to say there are a lot of improvements from a 4cyl to 4cyl comparisson. So much quieter, much more planted feeling ride. The sport mode is probably more noticeable than in the Avalon. Transmission makes a really big difference in power delivery. All in all, I like it, but wouldn't trade my v6 for one.
Wow! How fortunate to have actually driven the new Rav4. Could you tell us about the visibility? Is it as good as the 4.3? I mean, do you have that heightened or elevated visibility that was so good in the 4.3?
#76 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to AWDios Send a message via MSN to AWDios Send a message via Yahoo to AWDios
Visibility felt about the same to me.

http://www.pstoc.org
Puget Sound Toyota Owners Club
Sales and Leasing Consultant - Toyota of Kirkland
http://www.facebook.com/rogercarrTOK
#77 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 PM

First Drive

I just test drove a 13' Limited. I'm not a RAV owner, so my experience is minimal. I have test driven 12' I4's and V6's. Obviously, the 13' is no where as fast as the V6, but it is a lot more powerful ("torqueyer"?) with the 6 sp transmission. No problem accelerating onto highways/ passing. I never noticed the tranny hunting for gears. Handling is great. Has the typical 'big car' ride as most Toyotas do. I preferred the handling to the CX5, and it has a ton more power than the Mazda. Really the only thing I didn't like were that the side bolsters were a little wide. My Tacoma kind of hugs my ribs, these seats didn't. The XLE seats are different than the Limited, so hopefully they are better. After reading so many test reviews that were so so about performance and handling, I came away very impressed. Hopefully the real world mpg is better than the 22mpg EPA rating.
#78 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 05:37 PM

I got to test drive the 13 Limited today. We liked it way better than the 2012 CX5 and even better than the CRV. The CX5 had a whiny high pitch sound to it and a lot of road noise. The CRV is a very nice ride though a bit much on the road noise, and the seats weren't fabulous. I also don't like the way the seats are upholstered.

The Rav4 surpassed the other 2 in every way: better seats, much better ride, quieter, lots of pep (compared to my 2004 4 cyl Highlander), and it looks *very* good. The weakness in the looks department: the Softex. I don't like it. It feel and looks like fake leather, and it is really bothering me. I can't get a black interior (white dogs). I don't like the Terra Cotta, and I saw the tan/beige today and was really disappointed in it. It looked/felt cheap - and it was a really harsh contrast against jet black carpeting and coloring on the doors and center console. I am PRAYING the ash will look good, but I've yet to see it.

For the exterior colors, I think we'll go with the blue. It was *far* darker in person than on Toyota.ca and the photos online. I still need to see the pyrite mica. But blue will likely be the color. I want all the technology, so we'll go with the blind spot monitoring package and the upgraded navi/JBL sound package.

I'm thinking of ordering one. I've NEVER ordered a car before, but since I want so much in a specific color combo, I might do it. I'm just wondering how badly it will hurt in the wallet, giving up all the negotiating leverage.

It seems like many dealers have gotten in a few cars now. But Toyota.com still has the '12, and there are no brochures - even on the Canadian site. It's painful waiting for the full release!
#79 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerstar View Post
I got to test drive the 13 Limited today. We liked it way better than the 2012 CX5 and even better than the CRV. The CX5 had a whiny high pitch sound to it and a lot of road noise. The CRV is a very nice ride though a bit much on the road noise, and the seats weren't fabulous. I also don't like the way the seats are upholstered.

The Rav4 surpassed the other 2 in every way: better seats, much better ride, quieter, lots of pep (compared to my 2004 4 cyl Highlander), and it looks *very* good. The weakness in the looks department: the Softex. I don't like it. It feel and looks like fake leather, and it is really bothering me. I can't get a black interior (white dogs). I don't like the Terra Cotta, and I saw the tan/beige today and was really disappointed in it. It looked/felt cheap - and it was a really harsh contrast against jet black carpeting and coloring on the doors and center console. I am PRAYING the ash will look good, but I've yet to see it.

For the exterior colors, I think we'll go with the blue. It was *far* darker in person than on Toyota.ca and the photos online. I still need to see the pyrite mica. But blue will likely be the color. I want all the technology, so we'll go with the blind spot monitoring package and the upgraded navi/JBL sound package.

I'm thinking of ordering one. I've NEVER ordered a car before, but since I want so much in a specific color combo, I might do it. I'm just wondering how badly it will hurt in the wallet, giving up all the negotiating leverage.

It seems like many dealers have gotten in a few cars now. But Toyota.com still has the '12, and there are no brochures - even on the Canadian site. It's painful waiting for the full release!
I agree w/ everything you liked about the new RAV. The few vehicles I've seen in the Denver area are loaded with extras (which I don't want): Entune, navigation, $250 floors mats, expensive roof cross bars ect.

My 2 requirements in a vehicle to get me to downsize from my Tacoma are 'fun to drive'/ sport handling and significantly better mpg than my truck. Unfortunately, this road test from Edmunds came out today:

2013 Toyota RAV4 Full Test on Edmunds.com

"Excluding our testing, we drove this RAV 835 miles, most at or near freeway speeds. During this period it recorded 23.6 mpg, which is on the low end of the EPA's 22 city/29 highway estimates"

This is not good news. Motor Trend gets 22mpg from a FWD, now Edmunds gets 23.6 mostly highway from a AWD. The 2012 I4 w/ the 4 spd could do better. I'm back on the (Rav/CX5) fence...
#80 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 PM

Oh jeez. I saw that, as well in the Edmunds report. I didn't realize that it was that bad in Motor Trend, too. UGH! Soooo frustrating. I am so close to finally purchasing, and this may knock me back to the Honda.

I know the new CX5 is out/coming out. What do you know about its availability?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page