Tire size - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tire size

The limited comes with 18" 235/55R18 Bridgestone Dueler H/T 687 tires.

The LE and XLE come with 17" 225/65R17 Michelin and Dunlop tires.

Reading the reviews:

"Jump up from the standard 17-inch wheels to the Limited trim's 18s, however, and you'll feel and hear much more road than you want to: The ride becomes noticeably harsher, and tire noise is also a problem."

"The Limited is clearly the nicest RAV4, but we found the ride to be somewhat busy due to the 18-inch wheels with aggressive low profile tires. The XLE is much smoother and the ride barely gets upset even on rough roads - I has 17-inch wheels with cushier tires. Ultimately, the more aggressive 18-inch tires don't really deliver amazing grip so there's only a cosmetic benefit to this set up."

"Even on Arizona's smooth pavement, our RAV4 Limited has a jittery ride on its 235/55R18 Bridgestone Dueler H/T 687 all-season, low-rolling resistance tires. Then, we drive a couple XLE models with 225/65R17 Michelin and Dunlop tires. Those tires give the RAV4 the kind of compliance you'd expect from a crossover SUV."

I want to buy a 2013 Rav4 limited because it has the Push Button Start, but I want the quieter, comfier tires.

This article: Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

says that smaller tires get better MPG, are quieter, smoother, and faster.

Do you think Toyota will sell me a 2013 Rav4 Limited and let me "downgrade" to the 17" tires for free??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I rather doubt it. Speedometer error would be 1.19% low. Odometer at actual 10,000 miles would read 9881.27 which is also low by 1.19%. You could always buy new tires and wheels then sell the 18" ones. Having said all that it can't hurt to ask.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#3 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelish View Post
Do you think Toyota will sell me a 2013 Rav4 Limited and let me "downgrade" to the 17" tires for free??
I would predict that your dealer would not have a problem with that. Those are the same sizes that the Limited and Sport have for 2012, but it is reversed as to which one the Limited gets. I suspect there will be somebody else who would like a free upgrade. I think this will be easier to negotiate once there are 2013s in the showroom.

I agree with your motivation.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 AM

I agree, the 18 inch wheels may be a deal breaker for us. We have been eagerly awaiting the new RAV to replace my wife's 07 Limited, which has been a great vehicle. We want the Limited, since you cannot get a power seat on the other trims, and the power seat seems to have greater adjustment range. 16 inch wheels would be my preference, knowing you will have to live with 17's. With more road noise, a harsher ride, worse traction, potentially less gas mileage, and more expensive tires, why 18 inch wheels? I recently bought a 2012 CR-V EX-L, which I like very much. This was due to the long delay in the release of the new RAV. With a better crash test than the current RAV, 17 inch wheels on the EX-L, more horsepower, better fuel economy, real leather seats, and perhaps better resale value, we may have to get a second CR-V?
#5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 05:30 PM

(Thread Starter)
i spoke to 2 dealers about putting 17" tires on a Limited.

both said it was against state law.

looks like if I want Push Button Start then i'm stuck with 18" tires.

in about 4-5 years when I buy new tires i'll see what my options are then
#6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Against state law? I may be just a Canadian, but I find that VERY hard to believe, they just don't want to do it.

That said, you could probably find someone on Kijiji or craigslist (if not here) that would be happy to swap with you.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 PM

(Thread Starter)
against the law for the dealer to put different tires on
#8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 PM

I suspect that dealers won't do it for you due to liability. That said, alot of vehicles are getting wider lower tires. For example, Highlander's have 19" wheels and 245/55's on upscale models. There's nothing wrong with going to a wheel shop and trying to swap tires/rims that fit, after the oem tires need replacing; justcheck for differences in odometer/mileage which in the end may not be that significant if you really want a difference in ride. Don't get too wrapped up in others judgements. Drive the Rav4 for yourself and decide.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelish View Post
The limited comes with 18" 235/55R18 Bridgestone Dueler H/T 687 tires.

The LE and XLE come with 17" 225/65R17 Michelin and Dunlop tires.

Reading the reviews:

"Jump up from the standard 17-inch wheels to the Limited trim's 18s, however, and you'll feel and hear much more road than you want to: The ride becomes noticeably harsher, and tire noise is also a problem."

"The Limited is clearly the nicest RAV4, but we found the ride to be somewhat busy due to the 18-inch wheels with aggressive low profile tires. The XLE is much smoother and the ride barely gets upset even on rough roads - I has 17-inch wheels with cushier tires. Ultimately, the more aggressive 18-inch tires don't really deliver amazing grip so there's only a cosmetic benefit to this set up."

"Even on Arizona's smooth pavement, our RAV4 Limited has a jittery ride on its 235/55R18 Bridgestone Dueler H/T 687 all-season, low-rolling resistance tires. Then, we drive a couple XLE models with 225/65R17 Michelin and Dunlop tires. Those tires give the RAV4 the kind of compliance you'd expect from a crossover SUV."

I want to buy a 2013 Rav4 limited because it has the Push Button Start, but I want the quieter, comfier tires.

This article: Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

says that smaller tires get better MPG, are quieter, smoother, and faster.

I just purchase 13 Rav4 with 17inch rims. I live in MD also, If your interested I can swap mine for yours. Email me at gvan1998@yahoo.com
#10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:35 PM

Tire size

Don't be fooled by Honda's HP. The power curve is different. You have to rev the crap out of the Honda to get decent power. I test drove the 2012 CRV 4WD but went with a 2012 Rav4 4WD instead. Despite of the higher HP rating the CRV felt under powered. Although I did like the CRV's interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH05 View Post
I agree, the 18 inch wheels may be a deal breaker for us. We have been eagerly awaiting the new RAV to replace my wife's 07 Limited, which has been a great vehicle. We want the Limited, since you cannot get a power seat on the other trims, and the power seat seems to have greater adjustment range. 16 inch wheels would be my preference, knowing you will have to live with 17's. With more road noise, a harsher ride, worse traction, potentially less gas mileage, and more expensive tires, why 18 inch wheels? I recently bought a 2012 CR-V EX-L, which I like very much. This was due to the long delay in the release of the new RAV. With a better crash test than the current RAV, 17 inch wheels on the EX-L, more horsepower, better fuel economy, real leather seats, and perhaps better resale value, we may have to get a second CR-V?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Jaspher

2012 Rav4 4WD Touring Package w/ Heated Leather Seats - CARDOMAIN
2006 Corolla CE-C w/ leather seats and 17" TRD Wheels - CARDOMAIN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page