Rav4 Height vs Ground Clearance (Commanding view) - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rav4 Height vs Ground Clearance (Commanding view)

One of the things I loved the most of my '08 Rav4 was the excellent COMMANDING VIEW it gave even tough the car didn't had such a great ground clerance. For example, there are some traditionals SUVs like the 4Runner that has a 9.0in ground clearance and the view of the road isn't that great because of the shape of the car. The Rav4 shape allowed to had a great commanding view of the road.
BUT another thing contributing for the Rav4 to achieve this heightned view, I think, it's because how it is constructed. From the bottom of the car frame -or car floor- (excuse me, I don't know the technical name) they make the car and they ELEVATE it a lot, even tough, I repeat, the ground clearance is not that much.

Looking at the new Rav4 (013-), even tough it has a very low ground clearance (6.3) reading the SPECS I FOUND it is the one with MORE HEIGHT of the competition.
Rav4's height is 67.1 inches. The CRV is 65.1, the CX5 is 65.7, the Tucson is 65.2, the BMW X1 is 60.8 and the X3 is 65.4, Audi Q5 is 65.2. INTERESTING, RIGHT? For example, only the 4Runner (another category) has more height, at 71.5.

Could this mean that this new Rav4 even tough i'ts reduced ground clearance would give the better HEIGHT SENSATION when riding and the best COMMANDING VIEW of the road? Is that how they made it?

P.S. Please excuse my english. It's not my native language.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 01:51 PM

My seat has a height adjustment. If I want a more "commanding view" I just raise it. After leading the CSUV market for years and everyone else copying the RAV4, Toyota decided to give it less off-road capability and styled it to look more like the competition. They are now no longer a leader. They are a follower.

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 01:55 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
My seat has a height adjustment. If I want a more "commanding view" I just raise it. After leading the CSUV market for years and everyone else copying the RAV4, Toyota decided to give it less off-road capability and styled it to look more like the competition. They are now no longer a leader. They are a follower.
Well, I have to disagree. I had a BMW X1 and now a Audi Q5. No matter how much I "raise" my seat, even at it's highest position, those cars would never gave me the "commanding view" and heightned view of the road the Rav4 would.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 02:36 PM

I might have a different seat, or be a different height, or something else. I was certainly not trying to say that you should not have a right to say you like one thing better than another. I have a Silverado 4x4 and it definitely has a much higher ride height than the RAV, and I like that, but not enough to use twice as much gas for everyday driving.

I agree the RAV has better visibility than most similar vehicles. That's just one of the many reasons I bought mine a couple of months ago. I could have had basically the same car as a Lexus, but the HID headlights and better nav system weren't worth the price difference, and that's not the image I want to project. I love my 2012, and I'm really happy I got the V6 before it was gone.

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

#5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 03:09 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
I might have a different seat, or be a different height, or something else. I was certainly not trying to say that you should not have a right to say you like one thing better than another. I have a Silverado 4x4 and it definitely has a much higher ride height than the RAV, and I like that, but not enough to use twice as much gas for everyday driving.

I agree the RAV has better visibility than most similar vehicles. That's just one of the many reasons I bought mine a couple of months ago. I could have had basically the same car as a Lexus, but the HID headlights and better nav system weren't worth the price difference, and that's not the image I want to project. I love my 2012, and I'm really happy I got the V6 before it was gone.
What I am trying to say, and I hope I'm right, is this: do you think that even tough Toyota (I am also mad about it ) had reduce the ground clearance on the new Rav4, given it's got more height than its competitors, it will provide the better "commanding view" of all or, at least, the same "commanding view" the old one had.

Why am I so insistent in this? Because one of the things I love the most about SUVs and some crossovers is the, again, commanding view they give in comparison of a sedan.

The Rav4 may not had the best ground clearance, but if it provides a good commanding view of the road I can anticipate any pothole or irregularity on the road before I hit them.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insoc View Post
What I am trying to say, and I hope I'm right, is this: do you think that even tough Toyota (I am also mad about it ) had reduce the ground clearance on the new Rav4, given it's got more height than its competitors, it will provide the better "commanding view" of all or, at least, the same "commanding view" the old one had.
Never having sat in the new one, I cannot say. It's not as good as my chevy 4x4 and better than the toyota pickup that it replaced.

Maybe you can get someone who owns a 2013 to measure from the seat to the ground.

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page