my new 2013 limited rav4 - Page 7 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#61 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanib View Post
My 2008 came with Yokohama Geolander G91. I was hoping that Toyota would upgrade the tires, not that it is a bad tire. However, I have dedicated winter tires.
The Geolander G91 is a very average tire. Perhaps even a bit below average on snow. The same tire is standard on the Mazda CX-5 Touring with 17" wheels.

I did see a new RAV4 XLE with Dunlop tires the other day. But I didn't stop to see exactly which model. Some Dunlops are good, some are bad.

Never count on getting a good tire on a new vehicle, unless it's a premium vehicle. Most of the time you are lucky to avoid getting a pretty bad tire. I've certainly gotten horrible tires on new vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus123 View Post
What brand of tires are on the 4.4.
I just checked mine (2013 XLE AWD built in Japan), it has Dunlop St30 Grandtrek tires.
#63 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 PM

The best info I've seen on the Dynamic Torque Control system is here: http://www.rav4world.com/pdf/4.4/201...20PART%204.pdf
#64 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz00 View Post
I just checked mine (2013 XLE AWD built in Japan), it has Dunlop St30 Grandtrek tires.
Same tires here in Canada. The LTD up here comes with Bridgestone Duellers.
#65 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exposed29 View Post
The best info I've seen on the Dynamic Torque Control system is here: http://www.rav4world.com/pdf/4.4/201...20PART%204.pdf
Thanks alot for the information! Looks like in Sport mode that 10% power is only transferred to the rear axle during initial turn in when entering corners and more can be added up to 50% if needed throughout the curve. Looks like RAV is strictly FWD in a straight line even in Sport mode. Can anybody comment on how much difference there is between the AWD in the Forester vs RAV? Can you actually tell there is a difference in snow/ice and gravel/mud? Thanks for your help.
#66 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:58 PM

The choice of the 2012 RAV4 V6 4WD Limited, for a daily driver, was an easy one.

It stood out from all competitors with its powerful, refined V6 engine, and other numerous amenities – which is why I bought one of the last available. Toyota supposedly dropped the V6 engine since "only" 16% were sold with the RAV – may they be happy with a 16% sales loss.

Now comes the 2013 which has been seriously de-contented, offers nothing much of an improvement, and was seemingly designed to compete against the likes of Kia. I'll pass, and will not be recommending the 2013 to others, as I have recommended the 4.3.

Last edited by libertyx; 02-18-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: because
#67 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Mode View Post
I am currently looking for a new vehicle and have narrowed my choices down to the 2013 Toyota RAV4 and the 2014 Subaru Forester. The Forester has more ground clearance than the RAV4-8.7 inches vs 6.3. The Forester has Downhill Assist Control which the RAV4 doesn't have now. The Forester has fulltime AWD while the RAV4 has part-time AWD. Toyota advertises their AWD system as Active Torque Control. I have read if you press the Sport button that 10% of power is put to the rear axle when entering a turn and up to 50% can be transferred to the rear axle while cornering through a curve. So if I understand this correctly, power to rear axle is only applied during cornering and not while driving in a straightline? If so, AWD still doesn't match up to Subaru's fulltime AWD. Also Forester now has X-Mode which gives it even better AWD ability for low traction situations and offroading. Can anybody comment on the new AWD system. I like some of the things Toyota has done with the new RAV4 but they have cut back on other things that should come standard on all trim levels. Eg-sliding sunvisors only come on the Limited-vehicles that cost $10,000.00 less even have them.
It seems the new rav has what people really wanted. I've used those sliding sun visors once maybe. During testing the new rav I haven't even noticed they were gone.

The AWD in the rav is probably worse than the AWD in the forester but it provides enough support, from full lock when stopped to calculations every 6/1000ths of a second where to apply power it'll keep its head high and get you through a tough drive. Isn't that what counts?
#68 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Mode View Post
Thanks alot for the information! Looks like in Sport mode that 10% power is only transferred to the rear axle during initial turn in when entering corners and more can be added up to 50% if needed throughout the curve. Looks like RAV is strictly FWD in a straight line even in Sport mode. Can anybody comment on how much difference there is between the AWD in the Forester vs RAV? Can you actually tell there is a difference in snow/ice and gravel/mud? Thanks for your help.
The stuff you are reading about the sport mode is how the new AWD system helps handling in nonslick conditions. The 2013 (and previous years) AWD system sends power to the rear wheels when slipage occures (in snow) in any mode. The lock mode gives 50% front, 50% rear up to 25 mph. I don't own a Rav (yet) so, others please chime in...
#69 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 PM

You can read this. Subaru's system is #3, RAV4 is #4. There is a difference when driving at all times. Subaru is always powering all four wheels, it affects how the vehicle feels and handles at all times. Toyota's system is in 2WD nearly all of the time, well now Sport Mode changes that a bit, and its sensors monitor for different wheel speeds. Even when driving in snow, if you aren't slipping, you will be in 2WD. It's more of a stability control system, but it can definitely come in handy.

all 4WD/AWD on one page - a simple, easy to understand overview - all available 4WD, all wheel drive and 4x4 systems and their differences - 4WD concepts, their function, their layout, their purpose, their advantages
#70 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz00 View Post
That was the Dunlop tire I saw. Unfortunately, these may be worse than the Yokohama Geolander G91. Not many reviews in on them at Tirerack but what is there is not good. They sure charge enough for them.

TireRack.com Tire Reviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page