MPG - please report - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
830 total miles on the car, to give an idea of break-in level. This trip is the first mostly road trip that i could monitor. On my toyotas, (6th one so far) once they have a few thousand on them with this kind of driving, they get 2-3 mpg better than the highway rating. However this is our first AWD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 PM

XLE AWD:

I just refilled my tank for the first time last night. The first tank was filled by the dealer, he didn't say if he filled it before or after the 38 mile transfer from another dealer, but based on the mpg I'm guessing he filled it after.

OD reading: 303
Transfer from other dealer: 38 miles (this was the reading when I picked it up from my dealer)
Filled up: 10.97 gallons

MPG: either 24.2 or 27.6: I'm assuming 24.2

Driving in eco mode most of the time and not an aggressive driver.

My best estimate of the driving was approximately 65% highway (not too much stop and go this week due to schools being out), 20% small twisty mountain road that I live on (no stop signs or traffic lights), 15% city (typical stop lights ever few blocks, stops at shops for errands, etc.)

I'm satisfied with the 24.2, I was worried it would be much worse based on my test drive.
#23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 AM

Garage
2013 Limited: First fill up... 229.7 miles / 11.31 Gal = 20.3 MPG...

You can track real world mpg on fuelly.com

Opening your eyes and taking a breath is the miracle that proves God is Good!
#24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 04:00 PM

I have just more than half a tank left on my first fill-up. I always have it in Eco Mode and I'm a fairly conservative driver. I live at 4500' elevation and the temperature hasn't gotten over 35 since I bought the car (mostly between 20* and 30*).

I'm averaging 26 MPG since pick-up, gone about 160 miles. About half the miles were a lot short trips to and from work (less than 10 miles round trip), store, etc. The rest were on the freeway, 45 miles of which were in nasty stop-and-go traffic in a snowstorm.

Overall I'm pretty surprised by the fuel economy so far. I expect the MPG to go up a bit in warmer weather and in better driving conditions. Even at 26 MPG I'd be happy.
#25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:24 PM

I just looked over what forum members have posted so far: 26,26,26,30,24.2,20.3, and 26mpg. For cold weather driving and all in break in period, those #'s look great. Fuelly has its 1st 2013 Rav4 member. They got 29.4 1st tank, then 23.3 2nd tank. Looks suspicious. I love fuelly ( Toyota RAV4 MPG Reports | Fuelly ), but I wish they would have an app to log your mileage and fuel amounts while you are at the gas station (not writing the values down and recording on the website later). If you see a user with incredibly good or bad mpg's, looking at their records usually indicates an error logging their info. I will post when I get thru my 1st tank.
#26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 PM

Mileage

Note that my 30+mpg trip was specifically to prove to myself that it could do at least the rated mpg highway. Both fills on level surface, etc. I did the same with my Prerunner, v6 and got 25 on the open road (rated at 22). I suppose I could have pushed the trip to refill using the same pump to reduce variability, but couldn't resist 20c cheaper fuel in Delaware. We do this highway trip all the time, and this way I'm sure the vehicle is reasonably to spec when new; And I'll know something is wrong if it seriously deviates. Around town in N. Va., it'll vary too much.
#27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 PM

Fwd XLE 30.8 -31.0 mpg between 65-70 mph,
90% hwy 10% city. In normal drive mode.
In sport mode, go quickly to desired speed and back off the gas peddle so the sixth gear can take over! 29-30mpg, it can be done in sport mode, just use the throttle gently once you get to cruising speed usually between 65-70 mph.
Good luck drive well. Nothing to do with mpg, but I love the Barcelona Red!
#28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverMR2 View Post
I just looked over what forum members have posted so far: 26,26,26,30,24.2,20.3, and 26mpg. For cold weather driving and all in break in period, those #'s look great. Fuelly has its 1st 2013 Rav4 member. They got 29.4 1st tank, then 23.3 2nd tank. Looks suspicious. I love fuelly ( Toyota RAV4 MPG Reports | Fuelly ), but I wish they would have an app to log your mileage and fuel amounts while you are at the gas station (not writing the values down and recording on the website later). If you see a user with incredibly good or bad mpg's, looking at their records usually indicates an error logging their info. I will post when I get thru my 1st tank.
I posted on fuelly on the 21st, but it was 20.3... Not sure why its coming up as on 2013 owner have to look into that.

#29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 08:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverMR2 View Post
I'm a member of fuelly and I'm not sure why when searching for 2013 RAV 4 I don't come up... My fuel up of 20.3 would drop the current number on there.

#30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubacube View Post
Fwd XLE 30.8 -31.0 mpg between 65-70 mph,
90% hwy 10% city. In normal drive mode.
In sport mode, go quickly to desired speed and back off the gas peddle so the sixth gear can take over! 29-30mpg, it can be done in sport mode, just use the throttle gently once you get to cruising speed usually between 65-70 mph.
Good luck drive well. Nothing to do with mpg, but I love the Barcelona Red!
Are you using the 'on board' computer for your estimates? The most accurate way to calculate mpg is to zero your trip meter, and run thru a tank of gas (250-300mi+), fill it up, then calculate mpg from a full tank. The 'on board' readings are estimates, not what you are really using.

I think it will be interesting to compare MPG (as calculated above) vs. AVG MPH (which are Rav's can record). This may give a more accurate % of city vs. highway. My city driving is not bumper to bumper; stop and go, and I ran into a stand still today during a 'highway' drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page