Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

MPG - please report

310K views 461 replies 208 participants last post by  Fishnrib 
#1 ·
Real world MPG is very important to many, including me. The Edmunds and Motor Trends road tests were quite low - around 23. I am hoping that was due to lack of break in and heavy driving.

Please post other road test reports and - most important - personal use reports from new owners. Don't forget to note what country you are driving in. Thanks.

#4 ·
I get 26mpg highway @ 70mph with my V6. Maybe you were heavy on the pedal?

Sent from my HTC One X+

#6 ·
I get 26mpg highway @ 70mph with my V6. Maybe you were heavy on the pedal?
I have seen 26 MPG highway @ about 70 MPH with my 4.3 V6 AWD, too. Any vehicle has a certain amount of mass and friction and drag, and there's only so much energy in gasoline (and only so much that can be improved with a redesign like this).

Maybe there's winter blend gasoline in play here? Or perhaps tire inflation levels weren't optimal? Was it windy? Maybe headwinds come into play? Was it at altitude, e.g. in the mountains?

I wonder if even air temperature and humidity come into play? Synthetic oil vs. dino oil? Brand, octane and quality of the gasoline used?

Break-in of the vehicle? Proably most all 2013s are not yet considered "broken in." I know my RAV's performance "felt differently" after about 500 miles, and then again after about 1000 miles, but I don't know how to explain it.

How heavy was the payload? (Was the vehicle full of people and/or cargo?) What was the actual average speed? I believe drag goes up with velocity at something like a cubic rate. It's the drag that really gets you on the highway, I think.

Then there's the "heavy on the pedal" question (driver input...every driver is a little different, very difficult to quantify), and now for the 2013 RAV4's: "were you in Eco, Normal or Sport mode?" One would certainly think that "Sport" mode would have a negative effect on MPG. EPA ratings are only supposed to be for "Normal" mode, so I've got to believe that's the mode in which Toyota published estimates.

Was the 2013 that got 26 MPG on the highway a 2WD or AWD? (the poster's signature did not say). The 2013 AWD version is "EPA estimated" at 29 MPG highway vs. 31 for the FWD.

That's the trouble with relying on "real world" numbers: so many outside factors come into play that you have to call into question the numbers presented vs. what you can expect. Basically, you don't know if the test conditions reasonably match your situation. You'd just about need a whole table of test conditions associated with each result in order to get a decent expectation. It's things like this that make me question the value of the numbers reported at sites like Fuelly.com

They also make me call into question the ability to reasonably expect to often get the EPA estimates for a vehicle, mostly as I don't know how those estimates are calculated. But I just don't see how one single number can cover the myriad situations that exist in the real world.

I quit worrying about MPG-for-the-sake-of-MPG a long time ago. There are much more important things in life to worry about! True, choosing Vehicle A that can meet your needs over Vehicle B that can meet your needs when Vehicle A gets better mileage is a good thing, and more environmentally friendly.

I do monitor MPG as a relative indicator in case something starts to go wrong with the vehicle, but otherwise I simply trust that the engine and computer are doing the best they can to maximize fuel efficiency as conditions change (that's what they were designed for), and instead I focus on enjoying my ride for what it is, and what I bought it for.

That's what really counts.

Reactions: spivoler
#8 ·
That list is not exhaustive. Other thoughts that come to mind (some are very small, others not so):

• In cold weather, do you allow your car to "warm up" before leaving?
  • How well tuned the engine is
  • How clean the air filter is
  • Whether or not the vehicle has roof rails/racks (not to mention if there's cargo up there!)
  • The existence of a sun roof / moon roof might affect turbulence/drag, especially if it's open
  • Whether or not any brake shoes are dragging
  • Whether or not you're towing anything
  • Whether or not the air conditioner is on, and how much/often
  • Flat road vs. hilly/mountainous road / unpaved road? (terrain, in general)
  • Weather can affect mileage, too. For example, if it's raining the car also has to push through some water that otherwise wouldn't be there.
  • Even small differences in manufacturing can make one vehicle perform differently than "an identical model."
And there are probably even more factors I haven't thought of.

While obviously some won't apply when comparing to EPA numbers (e.g. towing) I'd say to wait until you have about 5,000 miles on the car to get it reasonably broken in, and then check again if you're concerned about it.

#10 ·
Brake shoes, brake pads, whatever...call it "extra friction on the rotors" if that helps.

Way back when I was a student I once had an old '70s car in the winter, when I put the parking brake on because I had parked on a fairly steep hill. I didn't know that slush had built up on the parking brake cable and it froze there while I was parked.

I disengaged the parking brake (or thought I did) but the frozen slush had kept it engaged, at least partially. It took me quite a while to figure out why it took noticeably more power to get going!

Stuff happens. And I'm sure my MPG suffered for it that day. :)

#18 ·
I concur with Larry. First tank of gas... 26 MPG Average. That exceeds the EPA for an AWD Limited in city driving (which is what I've done). I'm VERY happy with that on a first tank considering that number was also achieved in the current frigid Wisconsin temps and in nasty snow on 2 occasions!

I always keep records of my gas mileage online (yes, I am a geek) which can be dumped to a table or spreadsheet. If anyone is interested in the detail of those numbers, I'd be happy to share them here. I'll also keep extra details such as average air temperature, city vs. freeway driving as well as normal vs. Sport mode (all of these per tank). I have already decided that Eco mode SUCKS so I can honestly tell you I'll probably never use it. It'll be "normal mode" or "sport mode" but mostly "normal" because Sport mode doesn't pay in my everyday commute. Just let me know if you want to see the detailed numbers periodically.

#15 ·
I'll report on MPG once my vehicle is broken in. It's pointless to report when it's on its first tank of gas (or even 2nd, 3rd and 4th). Admittedly, I love statistics and keep track of MPG on my vehicles but doing so during the break-in period combined with cold Wisconsin temps does not a true picture make.

My 2008 RAV4 Sport V6 went well beyond EPA estimates after the break-in and in warmer weather but it fell far short of those estimates in its break-in period ONLY! I expect the same from my 2013. It's all in the timing and the temperatures.

Do NOT despair over new owner MPG numbers reported this early in the game! ALL of us 2013 owners are driving BRAND NEW vehicles. Many of us are driving in cold weather! Just hang on for a few months for true average MPG numbers!

#16 ·
Over the past 20 years, I've owned 6 vehicles. I've gotten EPA or better mileage on 5 of them. On a couple it's been about 15% better. The only one where I've never been able to get EPA is the '09 RAV4 with 4 cyl.

So when they come out on the '13 and claim 4 mpg better, with essentially the same engine, I remain skeptical. I know the gearing is much better, but I'd have to see it to believe it.

#17 ·
My highlander never got the EPA estimates.

I agree post-break in is of greatest interest.

I wish this review had talked about whether they were driving within the break in period:

Under our admittedly heavy right feet for a week and a half, the new RAV averaged 22.5 mpg.

Read more: 2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE First Test - Truck Trend

#19 ·
mileage report-limited awd

166 miles, 5.52gal = hair better than 30mpg.
filled up to pump click-off, no top off, at start; then click-off at refill, record pump reading, then checked with top off to be certain refill 1st click-off really filled it (which it had).
estimate 95% highway, 5% local driving (stoplites, traffic)
55-70mph cruise, alot of cruise control usage, all Eco. Intentionally drove for mileage limiting to light/moderate acceleration.
last 1/3 of trip with moderate snow/wet pavement, about 33-34 degrees all the time, moderate winds.
total miles on vehicle 830 at end of trip.
Maybe it'll get better as it gets miles, or if warmer/dryer weather but I'm satisfied!!:p
(note: cruise 'resume' function kept eco light on so resume acceleration was Veerrry slow; but cruise maintained the speed regardless of eco light if climbing a hill)

#20 ·
166 miles, 5.52gal = hair better than 30mpg.
filled up to pump click-off, no top off, at start; then click-off at refill, record pump reading, then checked with top off to be certain refill 1st click-off really filled it (which it had).
estimate 95% highway, 5% local driving (stoplites, traffic)
55-70mph cruise, alot of cruise control usage, all Eco. Intentionally drove for mileage limiting to light/moderate acceleration.
last 1/3 of trip with moderate snow/wet pavement, about 33-34 degrees all the time, moderate winds.
total miles on vehicle 830 at end of trip.
Maybe it'll get better as it gets miles, or if warmer/dryer weather but I'm satisfied!!:p
(note: cruise 'resume' function kept eco light on so resume acceleration was Veerrry slow; but cruise maintained the speed regardless of eco light if climbing a hill)
I'm confused. Did you drive 830 mi, but only monitor 166 mi of your trip? Either way 30 mpg HW in cold is great.

#21 ·
830 total miles on the car, to give an idea of break-in level. This trip is the first mostly road trip that i could monitor. On my toyotas, (6th one so far) once they have a few thousand on them with this kind of driving, they get 2-3 mpg better than the highway rating. However this is our first AWD.

#22 ·
XLE AWD:

I just refilled my tank for the first time last night. The first tank was filled by the dealer, he didn't say if he filled it before or after the 38 mile transfer from another dealer, but based on the mpg I'm guessing he filled it after.

OD reading: 303
Transfer from other dealer: 38 miles (this was the reading when I picked it up from my dealer)
Filled up: 10.97 gallons

MPG: either 24.2 or 27.6: I'm assuming 24.2

Driving in eco mode most of the time and not an aggressive driver.

My best estimate of the driving was approximately 65% highway (not too much stop and go this week due to schools being out), 20% small twisty mountain road that I live on (no stop signs or traffic lights), 15% city (typical stop lights ever few blocks, stops at shops for errands, etc.)

I'm satisfied with the 24.2, I was worried it would be much worse based on my test drive.

#24 ·
I have just more than half a tank left on my first fill-up. I always have it in Eco Mode and I'm a fairly conservative driver. I live at 4500' elevation and the temperature hasn't gotten over 35 since I bought the car (mostly between 20* and 30*).

I'm averaging 26 MPG since pick-up, gone about 160 miles. About half the miles were a lot short trips to and from work (less than 10 miles round trip), store, etc. The rest were on the freeway, 45 miles of which were in nasty stop-and-go traffic in a snowstorm.

Overall I'm pretty surprised by the fuel economy so far. I expect the MPG to go up a bit in warmer weather and in better driving conditions. Even at 26 MPG I'd be happy.

#25 ·
I just looked over what forum members have posted so far: 26,26,26,30,24.2,20.3, and 26mpg. For cold weather driving and all in break in period, those #'s look great. Fuelly has its 1st 2013 Rav4 member. They got 29.4 1st tank, then 23.3 2nd tank. Looks suspicious. I love fuelly ( Toyota RAV4 MPG Reports | Fuelly ), but I wish they would have an app to log your mileage and fuel amounts while you are at the gas station (not writing the values down and recording on the website later). If you see a user with incredibly good or bad mpg's, looking at their records usually indicates an error logging their info. I will post when I get thru my 1st tank.

#26 ·
Mileage

Note that my 30+mpg trip was specifically to prove to myself that it could do at least the rated mpg highway. Both fills on level surface, etc. I did the same with my Prerunner, v6 and got 25 on the open road (rated at 22). I suppose I could have pushed the trip to refill using the same pump to reduce variability, but couldn't resist 20c cheaper fuel in Delaware. We do this highway trip all the time, and this way I'm sure the vehicle is reasonably to spec when new; And I'll know something is wrong if it seriously deviates. Around town in N. Va., it'll vary too much.

#27 ·
Fwd XLE 30.8 -31.0 mpg between 65-70 mph,
90% hwy 10% city. In normal drive mode.
In sport mode, go quickly to desired speed and back off the gas peddle so the sixth gear can take over! 29-30mpg, it can be done in sport mode, just use the throttle gently once you get to cruising speed usually between 65-70 mph.
Good luck drive well. Nothing to do with mpg, but I love the Barcelona Red!

#30 ·
Are you using the 'on board' computer for your estimates? The most accurate way to calculate mpg is to zero your trip meter, and run thru a tank of gas (250-300mi+), fill it up, then calculate mpg from a full tank. The 'on board' readings are estimates, not what you are really using.

I think it will be interesting to compare MPG (as calculated above) vs. AVG MPH (which are Rav's can record). This may give a more accurate % of city vs. highway. My city driving is not bumper to bumper; stop and go, and I ran into a stand still today during a 'highway' drive.

#33 ·
I filled up for the first time. 272.1mi and 11.70 gal = 23.24mpg. I'm a little bummed I didn't get the 26mpg others have posted, but I think other factors contributed. We had a snowstorm which I drove thru for 2 days, and my HW miles (~40%) had a lot of bumper to bumper. After filling up, I noticed the needle went 2-3mm left of F. When I got it from the dealer, it was right at F. Would not surprise me if the dealer left it a gallon short of full. Case in point; Molina went from 20.7 (I'm assuming after the dealer 'fill up') to 26...

Other things: my on board calculater said my avg mpg was 22.2mpg. Dont trust it. Zero a trip meter after a fillup and calulate your true mpg at the next fillup. Also, mine is a AWD XLE that I drove in 'regular' mode most of the time.

#35 ·
My reported MPG may go down next time, because of the advice on another thread I checked my tire pressure and found the dealer had it set between 50-52 on all the tires. I've let some air out to set it back to 33 so I expect my MPG to go down - my Honda MPG was about 3-4 MPG different if I over inflated the tires, and I never over inflated them as much as these were. I'm hoping my MPG doesn't go down too much now.

#36 ·
Did the other thread say that dealers do this on purpose to up the mpg? High psi will wear out the middle of your tires, but 3-4mpg might be worth it. I wonder if Toyota 'ordered' the dealers to do this so the early report on mpg for the 2013 would be better.

I just checked mine; 38psi. 50+psi is crazy (and dangerous)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.