Buying an Extended Warranty? READ THIS FIRST!! - Page 11 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 447 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does all of your guys' warranty plans include extended maintenance also? I normally walk away from these offers, however the dealer said our 5 year/60k extended warranty included the following:

Lube, oil, and tire rotation every 5k
Free scheduled maintenance at 25k, 35k, and 55k miles (they claimed a $2k value)

I want to make sure I would be buying the exact same offer from Jerry if I switched, or if this was dealer specific.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 447 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 11:14 PM

The guy at my dealership offered the warranty and maintenance plan as separate plans. He told me the maintenance was an amazing deal since (he said) the 30K alone would cost $699 and each of the 5K's would cost something like $200. But when I actually looked at the plan details, it only covers what's listed in the manual at 5K/30K/etc., not what the dealership wants to do for $699, which is a lot of stuff not listed in the manual as required. I chose not to get the maintenance plan, I didn't like the dishonesty of the guy selling it and I'm also not sure it's a good deal.
post #103 of 447 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by litleclay View Post
Does all of your guys' warranty plans include extended maintenance also? I normally walk away from these offers, however the dealer said our 5 year/60k extended warranty included the following:

Lube, oil, and tire rotation every 5k
Free scheduled maintenance at 25k, 35k, and 55k miles (they claimed a $2k value)

I want to make sure I would be buying the exact same offer from Jerry if I switched, or if this was dealer specific.
The Toyota warranty through Jerry does not included any maintenance work. Your dealer is surely pushing his own package. Contact Jerry to confirm.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Marty Friedman" - Dragon's Kiss

post #104 of 447 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:01 PM

I actually just looked through the maintenance book and the "big scheduled maintenance" things at 25k, 35k, and 55k are nothing different than any other 5k check-ups. Just a bunch of "check to make sure these things aren't broken".

Wow.

I feel incredibly duped after doing what I think to be an awesome job negotiating price. Glad I can still cancel it. I did notice people saying they can call Toyota directly, but my paperwork says mine has to be cancelled via paper to the selling dealer. Anyone else have the same thing?
post #105 of 447 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by litleclay View Post
I actually just looked through the maintenance book and the "big scheduled maintenance" things at 25k, 35k, and 55k are nothing different than any other 5k check-ups. Just a bunch of "check to make sure these things aren't broken".
Yeah, I just brought mine to the dealer for servicing. They send me a coupon every month for a $39.95 special that included oil change, tire rotation, and 21-point inspection. All that qualified as the 25K scheduled maintenance, and since they didn't rotate the tires, they only charged me $29.95. Of course they also tried to sell me their "recommended" services like throttle body service and fuel injector service. Since these are not required by Toyota, I turned them down.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #106 of 447 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 01:08 PM

Just to give my experience, I bought the warranty (CostGuard) from Boch in Norwood first , than JuneBug pointed out that I overpaid (paid 1150 for 7 years/84000 miles).
It was early enough to cancel, so I took my brother with me and went to fight with finance guy. After about 1 hour of whining from finance guy on how this is so unusual to cancel, and I HAVE TO go to Kansas to sign the documents (my favorite line was "Ilya, after I gave you such a great offer (1150), you go and look for a cheaper price... I do not understand that!, I thought that was an oscar worthy line!) He sold me same Toyota warranty 100k/8 years for $900. So I think it good idea to give Jerry a call before to get a feel and than go and shop. It think they will cry and tell you stories about how you can't buy it over the fax, internet etc. How this is only employee pricing and they can't do that, and than sell you the same thing.
post #107 of 447 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Garage
Anyone know if there's a Jerry like guy in Canada ?! :P

Thank you!
post #108 of 447 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 01:38 AM

Due to many circumstances, I got pressed into the 7 yr/100 k plan from Toyota. I tried to say no but (insert any one of multiple excuses) and I just wanted to go home with my new car. Husband thinks it's okay because it's from Toyota and they know best, especially since "every little thing" is covered.

I figured the "below msrp price" I got on the vehicle was too good to be true. I'll be honest, I'm not good at negotiating. Any tips on how I can fix this $2298 warranty purchase as well as the $290 Secure Tire whatever coverage deal?

I really don't know crap about all this and feel pretty lame for it.

^..^

2013 XLE FWD
Pyrite
post #109 of 447 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsc42 View Post
Due to many circumstances, I got pressed into the 7 yr/100 k plan from Toyota. I tried to say no but (insert any one of multiple excuses) and I just wanted to go home with my new car. Husband thinks it's okay because it's from Toyota and they know best, especially since "every little thing" is covered.

I figured the "below msrp price" I got on the vehicle was too good to be true. I'll be honest, I'm not good at negotiating. Any tips on how I can fix this $2298 warranty purchase as well as the $290 Secure Tire whatever coverage deal?

Call Jerry, he's a really nice guy and he will tell you how to cancel the warranty and get it from him for a lot less money.

Jerry Johnson
cell phone (620-664-8844)
jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com

Midwest Toyota
1100 East 30th
Hutchinson, KS 67502
(800-530-5789)
Midwest Superstore 866-796-3495 | Lincoln Dealers | Hutchinson, KS

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #110 of 447 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsc42 View Post

My opinion is don't buy the extended warranty when you buy a new car. Wait until the factory warranty is about up and buy it if you still like your car and intend on keeping it.

In other words, keep your options open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page