Did you trade your 4.3 for a 4.4? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Did you trade your 4.3 for a 4.4?

anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Yes I did. It was an '11 LTD 4WD V6, silver in colour. It was leased. The dealer bought out the remaining year of the lease and I purchased a '13 LTD.
In Canada, the LTD only comes in AWD. The '13 is being built on Feb. 20 and I should get it about 10-14 days later. I chose Blizzard Pearl w/terra cotta interior.
The 4.4 versions, and I drove all 3 of them, are so much smoother and quieter than the 4.3's. I appreciate the new ergonomics and quiet body structure more than I'll miss the passing power of the V6 on the highway.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird1 View Post
Yes I did. It was an '11 LTD 4WD V6, silver in colour. It was leased. The dealer bought out the remaining year of the lease and I purchased a '13 LTD.
In Canada, the LTD only comes in AWD. The '13 is being built on Feb. 20 and I should get it about 10-14 days later. I chose Blizzard Pearl w/terra cotta interior.
The 4.4 versions, and I drove all 3 of them, are so much smoother and quieter than the 4.3's. I appreciate the new ergonomics and quiet body structure more than I'll miss the passing power of the V6 on the highway.
Is the seat more comfortable?
#4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWRAV4 View Post
Is the seat more comfortable?
Even the base seat in the 4.4 LE is way more comfortable than the power driver seat in my 4.3 LTD. After test driving the 4.4's and getting back into my 4.3, it always felt like the seatback was a pine plank. The new seats are much more form fitting.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 07:30 AM

yes

Did on St-Valentine day. A 2010 Limted for a 2013 Limted. With no option.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 09:34 AM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
no

No.

Can't do it. The maximum towing capacity on the (current) 4.4 is only about 40% of what you could get on the 4.3, and what I have on my 4.3. Plus I find the 4.3 notably more functionally versatile than the 4.4 as well.

In my opinion the loss of available power, towing capacity, ground clearance, storage, etc. ("utility") have firmly moved the 2013 RAV4 from "Compact SUV" to "car," and that's not quite enough for me. I went shopping for a Compact SUV, not a car.

To call the 2013 RAV4 any kind of SUV doesn't seem right to me. I think of the 2013 RAV4 more as the Toyota Matrix's bigger brother than the Toyota Highlander's little brother, which is how I think of the 4.3s because of what was available for them.

Maybe someday a future 4.4 model year will return with more utility available, at least a more powerful engine. So I can't say I would never trade my 4.3 in for a "4.4," but I can say I would never trade my 4.3 in for a 2013 RAV4.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!

Last edited by DVS; 02-16-2013 at 11:53 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 12:24 PM

Did you trade your 4.3 for a 4.4?

I like the looks of the 4.4 inside and out. It would be a nice work vehicle to replace my corolla but not to replace my 4.3. To me the 4.4 is just a bigger taller matrix. 4.3 has a more usable cargo space. 4.4's roof go down. It really looks tight back there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Jaspher

2012 Rav4 4WD Touring Package w/ Heated Leather Seats - CARDOMAIN
2006 Corolla CE-C w/ leather seats and 17" TRD Wheels - CARDOMAIN
#8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
No.

Can't do it. The maximum towing capacity on the (current) 4.4 is only about 40% of what you could get on the 4.3, and what I have on my 4.3. Plus I find the 4.3 notably more functionally versatile than the 4.4 as well.

In my opinion the loss of available power, towing capacity, ground clearance, storage, etc. ("utility") have firmly moved the 2013 RAV4 from "Compact SUV" to "car," and that's not quite enough for me. I went shopping for a Compact SUV, not a car.

To call the 2013 RAV4 any kind of SUV doesn't seem right to me. I think of the 2013 RAV4 more as the Toyota Matrix's bigger brother than the Toyota Highlander's little brother, which is how I think of the 4.3s because of what was available for them.

Maybe someday a future 4.4 model year will return with more utility available, at least a more powerful engine. So I can't say I would never trade my 4.3 in for a "4.4," but I can say I would never trade my 4.3 in for a 2013 RAV4.

I can't wait to get back from my vacation and order the 2013 RAV4 LTD SUV loaded. It's almost a baby brother to my 2010 loaded RX I'll be trading in to buy it, hopefully at about an even exchange.
I can see why they lowered the HP with only 30% buying the old higher powered model. I've never towed anything in my life so that's not a factor. I'm sure glad they got rid of that junky spare tire stuck on the back door or I would never consider buying a RAV. As I don't do any off-roading the ground clearance is not important to me. I also like the rear hatch opening up like other classy cars. The side hinge had so many disadvantages, and few if any advantages. It looks like the rear storage space of 73.4 cu ft. is the largest of cars in it's class.

After taking a couple test drives and doing my research on the RAV4, I'm convinced the 2013 RAV4 will be a great down sized replacement for my Lexus RX, with many of the same features. I think you must see it and drive it to really appreciate the 2013 RAV4. You can't beat Toyota products !
#9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:32 PM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4482 View Post
You can't beat Toyota products !
Agreed! Yes, I'd say you clearly need a car, and Toyotas are awesome. So I'm sure the 2013 RAV4 will be an excellent car for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4482 View Post
It looks like the rear storage space of 73.4 cu ft. is the largest of cars in it's class.
As it seems you clearly like doing research on vehicles (as do I!), you'll probably find this fact interesting: The 73.0 cu ft. rating of the 4.3 did not include the rear underfloor storage bins. If you include those (they do store cargo) I'd estimate the 4.3 has about 75 cu ft. of usable rear storage space behind the front seats, which would in reality make the 4.3 the largest of cars in it's class. Though truthfully, I haven't actually measured it. It could be more.

That was made possible by having the spare tire on a rear swing gate door. So there's one advantage right there for the side hinged rear door, among many like these (consider it more data for your research).

Have a great vacation! I'm sure you'll love your 2013 RAV4 as much as I love my 2012, and ultimately that's what what really counts.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
#10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM

I would not trade my RAV4 2010 for a new one, I liked my V6 too much, but I totaled my so I had no choice. After test driving CRV, Tiguana and looking at Mazda 5. I came back to RAV4. I don't regret it, it was nice to have a v6, but when I drive by a gas station and see gas at 3.75-4.25 and know that I get better mileage I feel better. And standing in traffic everyday, I don't care if it has 4 or 6 cylinders I can put my money to better use!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page