Air Noise from Windshield Defroster - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 AM
led

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Air Noise from Windshield Defroster

I'm not sure if this is a defect or part of intended engineering. When the ventilation system is directed to just the floor heat setting there is the sound of rushing air coming from the defroster vents. It's not noticeable at highway speeds, but is noticeable when stopped. Interestingly when the vent is directed to the defroster there is no air sound. My conclusion is that the rushing air sound is caused by the defroster vent being opened just crack when heat is directed to the floor. My question is....is this small amount of air leakage to the defroster intentional....or is the defroster vent not closing properly? I could envision that Toyota felt that any time you direct air to the floor (cold weather) you would also want a LITTLE air to the defroster vent to keep the window clear. But then again, they give you a combination floor/defrost setting so I'm not sure why they would do that. Thanks for your input/comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,109 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by led View Post
My question is....is this small amount of air leakage to the defroster intentional....or is the defroster vent not closing properly? I could envision that Toyota felt that any time you direct air to the floor (cold weather) you would also want a LITTLE air to the defroster vent to keep the window clear.
This is exactly right. Clearing of the windshield is considered top priority for safety reasons, so they always direct some air in that direction.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page