Softex seats - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Junior Member
Country: edward j's Flag is: United States
 
edward j's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: md
Posts: 33
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Softex seats

Had my 2013 limited rav4 for a couple weeks now. I had a 2002 limited highlander previously with real leather seats. what I have noticed about the softex is that you cannot "slide" on it like leather. my clothing "catches" on it. this is one of the things people like about leather. also, I have noticed my back and seat feel "damp" during and after getting out of seat.

does anyone else notice these issues with the softex (vs leather)?
thx
edward j is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 12:35 AM
Senior Member
Country: Heialak's Flag is: United States
 
Heialak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 264
Thanks: 74
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward j View Post
Had my 2013 limited rav4 for a couple weeks now. I had a 2002 limited highlander previously with real leather seats. what I have noticed about the softex is that you cannot "slide" on it like leather. my clothing "catches" on it. this is one of the things people like about leather. also, I have noticed my back and seat feel "damp" during and after getting out of seat.

does anyone else notice these issues with the softex (vs leather)?
thx
Not at all. I have never had leather, but I can easily slide on these seats. I can slide and I don't stick to the seat at all, even when I am sweaty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Heialak is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Junior Member
Country: edward j's Flag is: United States
 
edward j's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: md
Posts: 33
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
have you cleaned the seats with anything yet? e.g. leather cleaner/conditioner...
edward j is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Senior Member
Country: Heialak's Flag is: United States
 
Heialak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 264
Thanks: 74
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward j View Post
have you cleaned the seats with anything yet? e.g. leather cleaner/conditioner...
I have not cleaned them other than to just wiping with a dry cloth to brush some crumbs off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Heialak is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:55 AM
Member
Country: Rstark's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: HI
Posts: 61
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What kind of cleaner or protectant do people use for Softex? I'm planning on using 303 Aerospace cleaner (if needed) and protectant.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Rstark is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 PM
RBA
Member
Country: RBA's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NoVA
Posts: 154
Thanks: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstark View Post
What kind of cleaner or protectant do people use for Softex? I'm planning on using 303 Aerospace cleaner (if needed) and protectant.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I have used Mother's VLR for all interior trims with a mf including the Softex with no problems.

The 303 is an awesome product. Besides protecting it, it would make things slippery so ok with the Softex seats but do not put it on the floor mats especially if you have the Weathertech floor mats.

A good tip using the 303 would be on your OEM wiper blades so they would last a lot longer.
RBA is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Junior Member
Country: edward j's Flag is: United States
 
edward j's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: md
Posts: 33
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
the bigger problem is sweating. i had no issues with the (perforated) leather seats in the 2002 highlander. loved 'em. everytime i get into these seats, in about 3-5 minutes i start to feel the heat (seat heater IS NOT turned on). when i reach behind, i feel the moisture (back and bottom). when i get out my pants feel moist (but not wet). i am not overweigth and in good shape so that is not the issue. i would really like to hear from someone who had leather seats before and say that they do not notice anything different with the softex.
edward j is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member
Country: bigbird1's Flag is: Canada
 
bigbird1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,668
Thanks: 39
Thanked 286 Times in 219 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward j View Post
everytime i get into these seats, in about 3-5 minutes i start to feel the heat (seat heater IS NOT turned on). when i reach behind, i feel the moisture (back and bottom). when i get out my pants feel moist (but not wet). i am not overweigth and in good shape so that is not the issue.
I originally thought I wanted a LTD for the Softex seats. I have never owned leather or ersatz leather before. Your statement tells me I made the better decision getting an XLE. It will be interesting to read others' reports on their Softex experience now that summer is basically here.

2013 XLE AWD white
bigbird1 is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Junior Member
Country: edward j's Flag is: United States
 
edward j's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: md
Posts: 33
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
the more replies here will only help the consumer. i know the manufacturers invest A LOT of money into making us believe what looks the best, feels the best...i am emphatic to say that, as each day goes buy, these softex seats are INFERIOR to the leather I had in the 2002 limited highlander in that this stuff TRAPS your body heat/moisture. you will get out of these seats feeling like your back and seat are damp. extremely uncomfortable. i didnt spend money for a limited only to have to spend more money for seat covers. someone please tell me they are experiencing the same thing so i know i am not crazy.
Thanks!
edward j is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to edward j For This Useful Post:
ruhokie81 (10-22-2013)
#10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Senior Member
Country: Heialak's Flag is: United States
 
Heialak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 264
Thanks: 74
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward j View Post
the bigger problem is sweating. i had no issues with the (perforated) leather seats in the 2002 highlander. loved 'em. everytime i get into these seats, in about 3-5 minutes i start to feel the heat (seat heater IS NOT turned on). when i reach behind, i feel the moisture (back and bottom). when i get out my pants feel moist (but not wet). i am not overweigth and in good shape so that is not the issue. i would really like to hear from someone who had leather seats before and say that they do not notice anything different with the softex.
I have never had leather, mostly because of either the price, or because I was worried about them being to hot. I haven't had any problems yet, and so far I couldn't be happier with the softex. I get into my car after work, and the interior is really hot after sitting directly in the sun for the whole day, and I haven't even noticed the seats. Maybe I need to pay more attention.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Heialak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome