Toyota RAV4 Forums

Toyota RAV4 Forums (http://www.rav4world.com/forums/)
-   4.4 Interior (http://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/)
-   -   2013 RAV4 Tonneau (Cargo) Cover (http://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/114802-2013-rav4-tonneau-cargo-cover.html)

nhrav4 06-03-2013 03:39 PM

2013 RAV4 Tonneau (Cargo) Cover

I looked for a thread on this topic but could not find one. Sorry if I'm duplicating anything.

I have a gripe about the 2013 Rav4 Tonneau (rear cargo) cover. I went to my local Toyota dealership today and bought a tonneau cover for my LE model. I discovered that my cover does NOT have the 2 "drapes" in the front of the cover that clip to the headrests on the back seat.

The result is that there is an 8-9 inch space between the tonneau cover and the back seat.

What good is that ? The purpose of the cover is to HIDE stuff you don't want people to smash and grab for when they look in the back of your vehicle.

Anybody else notice this with the 2013 Rav4 tonneau covers ? If Toyota
designed out the parts that used to clip to the back headrests, they have made a BIG boo-boo, in my opinion. I'm thinking of returning the cover.

Thanks,
Dennis

briankeith513 06-03-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhrav4 (Post 1151538)
I looked for a thread on this topic but could not find one. Sorry if I'm duplicating anything.

I have a gripe about the 2013 Rav4 Tonneau (rear cargo) cover. I went to my local Toyota dealership today and bought a tonneau cover for my LE model. I discovered that my cover does NOT have the 2 "drapes" in the front of the cover that clip to the headrests on the back seat.

The result is that there is an 8-9 inch space between the tonneau cover and the back seat.

What good is that ? The purpose of the cover is to HIDE stuff you don't want people to smash and grab for when they look in the back of your vehicle.

Anybody else notice this with the 2013 Rav4 tonneau covers ? If Toyota
designed out the parts that used to clip to the back headrests, they have made a BIG boo-boo, in my opinion. I'm thinking of returning the cover.

Thanks,
Dennis

Yep, I've noticed this. You have to recline the back seats to cover the space.

nhrav4 06-03-2013 05:06 PM

>> You have to recline the back seats to cover the space.

Even if you recline the back seats, it does not cover the entire open space.

I'm very disappointed in Toyota designing the cover this way. Also disappointed in this item changed in the 2013 model:

- No more extensions on the sun visors. Now the visor, if turned to the side windows, does not block all the space on the side windows.

Having Bluetooth be standard and a few of the other techie things are nice but I wish they wouldn't shortchange the consumer on some of the important small features.

Dennis

Bexter 06-03-2013 05:47 PM

I have visor extensions...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhrav4 (Post 1151634)

I'm very disappointed in Toyota designing the cover this way. Also disappointed in this item changed in the 2013 model:

- No more extensions on the sun visors. Now the visor, if turned to the side windows, does not block all the space on the side windows.

Having Bluetooth be standard and a few of the other techie things are nice but I wish they wouldn't shortchange the consumer on some of the important small features.

Dennis

I have visor extensions on my visors...I have a 2013 Limited.

Also, "Bluetooth and some techie things" aren't just "nice" they ARE important features. A blanket or towel will solve the issue you bring up but there is no simple solution for bluetooth or a backup cam...No offense but you probably shouldn't keep valuable stuff people can see in your car. If a criminal wants in your car, some cover isn't going to stop them.

nhrav4 06-03-2013 06:49 PM

OK .. I agree that Bluetooth and the back up camera are important. However, I also believe that some of the corners being cut by Toyota is just stupid PR on their part. This is a company that went thru a couple of major PR hits when the sticking gas pedal issue surfaced.

There is nothing super valuable I would leave in the back of my Rav but what would it cost them to retain the extra material and the clips --- about $2 per cover ? Pass the cost on to the consumer. A towel or blanket would look extremely tacky.

Yeug 06-03-2013 07:36 PM

Thats weird, my tonneau cover has the clips to the rear headrests, have 6 clips total for all 3 headrests.. But then again might be different again here down under..

Also, mine came with the car.. I think it is standard for all models here..

RobertN 06-03-2013 09:53 PM

I'm used to a hard folding tonneau cover and find the RAV4 cover rather flimsy. The back curved portion hangs down and blocks visibility and access. With the tonneau unhooked, this back part can be flipped over on top of the main part, then re-hooked into the slots on each side. Don't know if it was made to do this, but it gives a little better access without retracting the cover.

BryanEss 06-03-2013 09:58 PM

I believe visor extensions are only available on the Limited.

JuneBug 06-04-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhrav4 (Post 1151634)

The features dropped from 2012 seem to be more numerous than the features added for 2013:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-...2013-rav4.html