New RAV4: Disappointed with USB - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRav2013 View Post
...when I get a chance, I'll take out our usb stick, add a new folder, two second level folders under it with several mp3's in each and check folder navigation.
Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 09:24 PM

Confirmed that the only folders that show in the folders menu are those with music files after them....intermediate folders don't show.
The music listed in the order loaded on the usb; ie new music will show after the last one loaded regardless of the folder names.
So if you want to have a particular order, load in that order-no logic to alphabetize, etc. in the system.
Agree it's not very useful for a full hierarchy of folders, but I think a single level works ok.
#13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 11:17 AM

(Thread Starter)
I did some more tests over the weekend, and came to the same conclusion. Since my preferred genra is baroque/classical period music, I'll just buy a handful of small (1GB, if I can find something that small) thumb drives and then burn related tracks on separate drives -- for example, all Bach harpsichord tracks, all 9 Beethoven symphonies, etc.

For what it is worth, I had to give up my Rav4 after 8 days of "ownership" because the right front seat was not compatible with my wife's physiology (a spinal fusion). I have a new Camry almost ready for delivery. Same audio system. I'll sign off of rav4world as soon as I can fine a forum equal to this one -- so far, my search is not been fruitful. Thanks for your help!
#14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 08:39 PM

Thumbs up

Websquad: The single level folder still works well for us; just have to be certain to copy song in the order needed.
Really sorry to hear about the seating issue in the Rav vs. your wife's needs. I'm sure the Camry will work out well and you might end up with a more capable version of the audio system.

Best wishes to both you and your wife and with your new ride!!
#15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 11:49 PM

(Thread Starter)
Beneath the façade & trim, the audio system in the Camry and the Rav4 are identical. Today I ordered a set of five 1GB thumb drives from a NJ store I found on EBay. That will allow me to have five fairly long playlists -- if that works, I may order five more (five for $18.95, or $3.79 each). They are cheap no-brand devices, but I thought I'd take a chance and see how they worked out.

I also just installed a free program called Music Bee that will all me to edit all the catalog data fields on individual MP3 files -- I think I can optimize them for the Toyota display.
#16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 10:12 PM

Smile usb

Hey. to make a play list all you have to do is open your windows media player on your computer. Drag the songs from the music playlist folder on your thumb drive to the playlist area of windows media player on your computer type what you would like to call the playlist and it will save to your my music folder as a real playlist on the computer. Drag that saved playlist to the thumb drive. if you have multiple playlists just repeat the instructions. I did that and i got my 4 playlists and they all show up on the radio and work in the car. much easier than going through music one by one while your cruising down the road. hope this works for you all.
#17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Websquad View Post
Beneath the façade & trim, the audio system in the Camry and the Rav4 are identical. Today I ordered a set of five 1GB thumb drives from a NJ store I found on EBay. That will allow me to have five fairly long playlists -- if that works, I may order five more (five for $18.95, or $3.79 each). They are cheap no-brand devices, but I thought I'd take a chance and see how they worked out.

I also just installed a free program called Music Bee that will all me to edit all the catalog data fields on individual MP3 files -- I think I can optimize them for the Toyota display.
Hi websquad, let us know how you make out. I have Apple so music bee won't work for me. Will it allow cover art on USB? If you could, could you post a pic of the optimized Toyota display? Thanks a lot.

Joe

2013 Rav4 XLE FWD Barcelona Red

Previous Toyota Vehicles: 1972 Corona, 1989 Camry, 1989 MR2 SC, 1997 Rav4, 2003 Matrix XR.
Current Mods: Toyota Bug Deflector, 3M door Edge Guard, 3M Paint Protectant applied to door sills.
Future Mods: Body Side Mouldings, Weathertech Mats, Weathertech Vent Visors
#18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 04:17 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Rav4 Man View Post
Hi websquad, let us know how you make out. I have Apple so music bee won't work for me. Will it allow cover art on USB? If you could, could you post a pic of the optimized Toyota display? Thanks a lot.
I'll try to come back to this thread and post some results when I'm able to get on the USB playback display -- alas, I'm in the middle of coding a new website and am somewhat behind, so that may take several weeks. DISCLAIMER: all you'll see will be classical music tracks. I quit listening to "pop" radio/records back in the late 50's. So it is Bach, Beethoven, Haydn, Vivaldi, and Scarlatti for me. The trick is to see what information to change that will display, and then figure out how much will display. I just purchase a lot of five 1GB USB drives for $16 and have tried one (and they work!). The physical quality looks surprisingly good for such inexpensive devices.
#19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 07:57 PM

Despite all your posts, I am still having some problems. I have been able to select USB from Media and it will play music. I have four folders at the root. However, the folder names are not listed (just the word "Folder") and I am able to cycle through the four folders on the stick following the prompt on the screen. I am not sure what I will do if I get a bigger stick and had 20 or 30 folders on it. Next, I have created playlists (on the USB stick, in the root, not on the computer and then copied) but these do not show up in the display. I am using the M3U extension. Does the type of playlist file make a difference? Does any one else see their playlist file name? I do not have the touch screen (Entune?) player. I am also have problems setting up the phone on Bluetooth but will ask those questions on a different thread. TIA for any ideas.
#20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 06:17 PM

(Thread Starter)
Lessons Learned

In the past few days I've experimented with some USB sticks, and determined the following:
  1. You don't need special software to modify the fields that display on the in-car screen, IF you have Windows 7. This will probably work on other late versions of Windows. Your mileage may vary.
  2. I first ripped the tracks to my PC. Then, whilst still on the PC, I opened the subdirectory that I ripped to, to the album. The Windows Directory display the Name, track number, etc. What was not displayed were the three critical fields that actually display in your Toyota: (a) Title (b) Contributing artists (3) Album -- so I right clicked on the column title bar and selected those fields to display.
  3. I then selected the first track with a right mouse click and selected "Properties" on the pop-up window. When Properties was shown, I selected the "Details" tab.
  4. The first thing was the Title -- I typed in the track title.
  5. The next thing was the "Contributing artist" -- I typed that in.
  6. The last thing was "Album" -- I typed that in.
  7. I then selected "[ OK ]" at the bottom, and the new metadata appeared for that track. I continued on for the remainder of the album.
  8. Next, I plugged the USB stick into my desktop computer, and opened up windows explorer in it. I copied the tracks over, and was in business.
One final lesion: for some dumb reason I copied the tracks out of order -- the order in which you actually copy them to the USB stick is the order they appear on the Toyota in-car display. Apparently track # is ignored.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page