Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Added (2) 12v plugs to rear seat area

82K views 56 replies 39 participants last post by  sparky52 
#1 ·
Hi, my first post here, I am active on other forums, and our 2013 Rav4 LX is my wifes car so I am not on here much. But it has bothered me, that there were no power outlets in the rear seating area in the vehicle. And with the kids DVD, DS's, I pads and what ever else we needed power back there. So I came on here and didn't really find anything. So The following is how I did add 2 12v power plugs to the rear seating area. Its not the greatest and the pics are crappy cell phone pics, but if you can't figure it out by the pics and description maybe you should not be trying this.

First I had to find a good area, and while looking in the back seat I realized the center console was a lot thicker than what the interior space it gave was. So I realize there had to be a void, and I noticed on the very back end there was a seam along each end, so I carefully removed the back cover, just use a body panel tool or a plastic putty knife or something similar

Here it is with cover off ( you can see a lot of area at the bottom.

So then I spaced out the 2 power plugs and drilled the hole. I used a 1 1/4" drill bit, but may very on your purchased plug. Then snapped the plugs into the holes

I then spliced the power and ground together. I did splice the positive lead after each fuse so they will each be fused.

For the ground you will see 2 bolts that secure the console to the floor. I chose the one on the left and used that as my ground

I then ran the power wire up along the driver side of the center console tucking it under by the carpet. Up along the firewall and over to the fuse panel just behind the hood release. You then splice the power wire onto the add a fuse and install the appropriate fuses.

I used the 15amp power adapter fuse space (its a tight fuse panel area, with using the add a fuse I could not get the cover back on but I just placed in glovebox

Here it is finished up

See less See more
#34 ·
Looking for a way to do something similar, I want to have my dashcam constantly powered by the accessory plug, instead of powering on and off with the key. Is there a way I can jump the circuit at the fuse box? I tinkered around in it a bit but for the life of me I can't figure out how to make it work. TIA!

#36 ·
Nope, thanks to photobucket changing their sharing ability...you might be able to message OP and he can send you a link for them. Or he can update his post and host them on rav4world in an album

#39 ·
Here is an automotive wire gauge guide to assist everyone decide on the right gauge of wire to run based upon how many watts and amps you plan to run. I found it a handy chart....

Wire Size Calculator | GTSparkplugs

Reactions: Butts
#42 ·
I have done it, but if I remember right, it requires taking the center console out. Depending on your needs, when I installed heated seats, I could access everything I needed to from the area behind the glove box. Remove the glovebox and other paneling and I could fit my hand in behind to push the blank spaces out.

#45 ·
BTW, I was going to share my addition on this thread but I got sidetracked. I added a dual USB charger they're QC 3.0 technology which charges phablets a lot faster, I tapped into the front cigarette lighter power, those already have fuses so I figure I didn't need another fuse where is hard to get to or requires to remove panels and such. Another reason I liked this particular style is that the actual USB ports have background LED so they're easy to locate at night plus the case is
Vehicle Car Auto part Subcompact car City car
made out of aluminum

Here's where I got mine:

#48 ·
Thanks to everyone here that chimed in, I read every comment. Did this on a 2013 RAV4

Bought a pair of sockets on amazon, one being a QC 3.0 dual USB charger and the other a standard 12V socket.

Both have their own online 10A fuse and then T-tapped to one line to the front going under center console and across to fuse panel to add-a-fuse to the 10A sunroof since someone mentioned this being always hot.

Grounding wires connected together and bolted down.

Used a 1-1/4 hole saw drill bit from Bosch with Arbor. Worked great cut right through easily. Did it in the grass, no spin and had Pre-drilled pilot holes.

I think it looks oem.

https://imgur.com/a/xQz8QGTImgur album

#49 ·
Thanks to everyone here that chimed in, I read every comment. Did this on a 2013 RAV4

Bought a pair of sockets on amazon, one being a QC 3.0 dual USB charger and the other a standard 12V socket.

Both have their own online 10A fuse and then T-tapped to one line to the front going under center console and across to fuse panel to add-a-fuse to the 10A sunroof since someone mentioned this being always hot.

Grounding wires connected together and bolted down.

Used a 1-1/4 hole saw drill bit from Bosch with Arbor. Worked great cut right through easily. Did it in the grass, no spin and had Pre-drilled pilot holes.

I think it looks oem.

Imgur album
Looks good man, that blue backlight looks different than mine. Just not sure if I would have the QC 3.0 dual USB always on, that may drain your battery over a few days without starting it. Specially now that we don't use cars that much.

#50 ·
Yeah I was wondering about that. I figured maybe just the LED would be on which is negligible but I don’t think the charger would pull power unless it was being used. Regardless, you’re right at this point I should move the add-a-fuse to an accessory on.

Random, but I did have a larger battery installed and it fits the tray just fine. I saw others mention this but I think it’s some F size.

#57 ·
Hi, my first post here, I am active on other forums, and our 2013 Rav4 LX is my wifes car so I am not on here much. But it has bothered me, that there were no power outlets in the rear seating area in the vehicle. And with the kids DVD, DS's, I pads and what ever else we needed power back there. So I came on here and didn't really find anything. So The following is how I did add 2 12v power plugs to the rear seating area. Its not the greatest and the pics are crappy cell phone pics, but if you can't figure it out by the pics and description maybe you should not be trying this.

First I had to find a good area, and while looking in the back seat I realized the center console was a lot thicker than what the interior space it gave was. So I realize there had to be a void, and I noticed on the very back end there was a seam along each end, so I carefully removed the back cover, just use a body panel tool or a plastic putty knife or something similar

Here it is with cover off ( you can see a lot of area at the bottom.

So then I spaced out the 2 power plugs and drilled the hole. I used a 1 1/4" drill bit, but may very on your purchased plug. Then snapped the plugs into the holes

I then spliced the power and ground together. I did splice the positive lead after each fuse so they will each be fused.

For the ground you will see 2 bolts that secure the console to the floor. I chose the one on the left and used that as my ground

I then ran the power wire up along the driver side of the center console tucking it under by the carpet. Up along the firewall and over to the fuse panel just behind the hood release. You then splice the power wire onto the add a fuse and install the appropriate fuses.

I used the 15amp power adapter fuse space (its a tight fuse panel area, with using the add a fuse I could not get the cover back on but I just placed in glovebox

Here it is finished up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.