Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Entune Radio, cable, or iPod Classic?

42K views 77 replies 13 participants last post by  niterider 
#1 ·
New 2014 Rav 4 with Entune. iPod locks up after 5-6 songs -using bottom connector (usb). Have to reboot iPod. Then it plays well for a while then sometimes it goes ito reboot mode by itself. The iPod classic is about 2 years old. When I use the Aux jack it's fine, but it doesn't display on the screen and the steering wheel controls (except volume) don't work. Has anybody else seen this?

#35 ·
Yeah, frustrating, I know. They should really have someone who reads these boards and sees how many people are putting in their own systems because they think Entune sucks!! But I know for sure when I get my next car, whenever it is, I will do a lot of research AHEAD of time and see who has good sound systems and who doesn't. I just took it for granted. Not smart.

#39 ·
Friend gave me his old 16GB iPhone4 with 7.1 firmware. At least it's a free upgrade from my 4GB Nano. Working for 4 days, no freezing. Now and then I'll get a few millisecond long skip of silence. Thanks for the updates Charlie, 64GB is appetizing.

I also run into issues with thumbdrives, though mine are all formatted correctly, the system simply won't recognize certain ones.

#44 ·
I was told by my case manager at Toyota (who is wonderful, btw) that the audio engineer dudes told him that it's that way by design. They didn't want to make it SO in tune with the requests and assume what someone was saying, so instead they went the other way entirely. So in my case when I say "play artist Pink" perhaps I am REALLY saying "play artist Sting", so rather than assume I'm saying Pink, they have it so it takes the safe route and says "did you mean Pink, did you mean Sting, did you mean ____" etc.

To which I say, just make it that much better then so it understands me better! I didn't have that issue with Sync in my Mariner. (Though I hear the My Ford Touch thing isn't very good.)

#45 ·
My iPod has been freezing and resetting all over the place and loading over and over sometimes. My aforementioned wonderful case manager is actually SENDING me his iTouch, he drove a Rav4 for a few days and used it and now wants me to test it in my own car. He didn't have any issues with resetting or anything, so now we're going to see if I have any issues with it in mine.

#47 ·
Oh. Well we're trying to determine if it's my iPod in particular (though this is my second one with the same issues) or if it's my system in particular. Or the iPod in general, I guess. But if the iTouch gives me the same issues as my iPod has been, then I know it's my HU in particular.

#50 ·
Well I've been using a 32GB iPod Touch for about 2 weeks - my wonderful case manager loaned it to me (sent it from Cali) and except for one random disconnection (by itself), it has worked fine. It stays on the song after I turn off the car and I've tried skipping to other songs, back and forth, etc., all the things that sometimes cause my iPod Classic to get stuck or disconnect altogether.

Which leaves me nowhere, because I'm not inclined to go out and buy an iPod Touch when I just replaced this iPod Classic a few mths ago when my last one died. It pisses me off though, that Toyota has the Classic listed in the manual as one of the devices you can use, but clearly nobody bothered to really test it, other than plugging it in and playing a few songs. Perhaps with a much smaller playlist it would work, but I'm not willing to cut mine down (7,000 songs/49 GB).

Anyway, just FYI.

#51 ·
The 32GB Touch doesn't work flawlessly. I keep it plugged in 24hr a day. It does work better than any other iPod/iphone so far. About once a day I have to unplug it from USB, cycle the dash unit's power and replug it in. There's no continuity of the problem, happens whenever it feels like. I'm still happier, i need my itunes in my rav, therefore I keep buying crap that's slightly better than the last. Toyota is lame. My classic is collecting dust.

#52 ·
Yeah, the one I'm using for right now I've kept plugged in as well. And it's only done that once where I had to restart it. But yes, I need my iTunes in the car too! Urgh. I told them they really need to take the Classic off the list in the manual, or at least asterisk it and say "not recommended" or limit the capacity, or something. They're all too expensive to have us have to run around buying new players to get what we want.

#53 ·
For whatever it is worth, my coworker has a nissan and his ipod (or whatever he uses) is also flaky in that, for over 6 months the in car radio did not control the unit, then one day it started working (but its intermittent also), so it seems apple product problems might be everywhere .

#55 ·
Here you go:

#56 · (Edited)
LOL. If I had the time and smarts, I'd just figure out how to do the Windows Media player with the playlists and load up a 64GB thumbdrive instead, but I have neither. I need my playlists and it's just so easy with iTunes.

Annoying. But I will say, I've been using this iPod Touch now for almost a month already and had only one incident of it disconnecting itself.

Further update: I've been using the iPod Touch Gen 6 now for what, almost 3 mths and I've still only had one weird thing happen, otherwise, it's been perfect.

#57 ·
Bought a new 64GB iPod Touch 5th Gen. Same issues. Returned it. Just wanted to test. I jusr happened to switch phones to an old iPhone 4s 16GB, it works better than anything I've tried. 16GB isn't enough for me though. I'm still on my iPod Touch 32GB, which a few times a day (if I drive a few times a day) still needs to be power cycled along with the head unit, sometimes many times, to get the head unit to see the ipod. What a daily issue this is for me.

#58 ·
I wrote Gen 6, that was wrong, it's 4th generation. But it was 32GB also. It worked fine though. But it's not mine and I have to return it. 32GB isn't enough for me and I'm going to have to get 64GB and hope it still works with the increased capacity.

But seriously, what a drag this all is.

#59 ·
It's not your iPod model; it's your radio. Mine freezes up with my iPod nano 6th gen, iPod touch 4th gen, and iPod touch 5th gen. With the Touches, it will freeze up on Bluetooth as well. It freezes up randomly--sometimes after 20 minutes, sometimes after an hour and 20 minutes. Have to pull over and turn the car off and back on. The dealer claims he's never heard of this before. He called the Toyota engineers who said it was because the iPod battery was discharged. Um, no. Try again. The dealer thought it might be my cable. Not that either--tried other cables. Now they've ordered the part that connects the USB port to the radio. If that part were the problem, Bluetooth would not freeze up. When I pay for a new vehicle, I expect the sound system to work like it should. I am NOT happy.

#62 ·
I've had a whole on-going saga, been to the dealer a million times, they said it was the cable too, blah blah, tried another iPod Classic, same issues. Then I got a great case manager at Toyota who has been working with me and he sent me his OWN iPod Touch and I've been using it for over four months already and had only two weird things happen that entire time, as opposed to the Classic which froze and/or reset every few days. But yes, it's the head-unit that isn't playing well with Apple. So considering I have 50GB of music and don't want to go through all the time and effort of setting up a thumb-drive with playlists and such the same as on iTunes, I'm going to have to buy an iPod Touch same version as the one he's lent me, because I can see for myself that it works better than the Classic. At least with my system. Not sure why it doesn't work so well with yours, we must have different years maybe.

But yeah, you buy a car and expect that if it says in the manual a certain device will work, that it will WORK. It's very frustrating. I had tested it before I bought the car, but of course that was just sitting in the car, plugging it in and switching around to different songs, not any long-term testing.

#60 ·
The european Rav4 have a other system called Toyota touch 2, Toyota touch 2 GO and Toyota touch 2 GO +. The GO version have NAV and apps. Has anyone with european car have the same problems with there ipods as the Entune? I havent got my RAV4 yet so i can't really test it.

#63 ·
Been having this issue intermittently with my 2013 since I bought it. It might only happen once or twice on a long trip with no consistency to when or how it happens. I have a 6th Gen iPod classic with 160gb.

I told my dealer about it when I was in for service yesterday and they said there was an update to the software so they did that. So far, it hasn't locked up (but it might not have anyway) But now it only shows the art work while playing an album every other song....

I do hope they take this issue seriously and figure it out. It's way too annoying to be acceptable on a car otherwise this nice and expensive.

#68 ·
Yeah, I guess not. Thanks for checking.

I have an iPod Classic, 64GB off the top of my head I don't know what the generation though is, perhaps 5 or 6? Many many problems with it, have to reset it at least a few times a week, sometimes it gets stuck on loading and then I have to unplug and plug in again and reset. And as you said, there's no real consistency to it, it seems to be random. No real issues with the artwork though. But still, really frustrating.

#69 ·
I guess I've been lucky in that mine only locks up once in awhile. I don't use the iPod all the time though. But it locked up once on a 4-hour trip last week, for example. Still annoying and shouldn't be happening.

Now that Apple has discontinued the "Classic" line, I don't imagine hoping Toyota fixes this bug becomes any more likely, either.

#70 ·
Very annoying on a long trip, because not like you're going to stop the car, which often seems to fix the problem.

Well long story short, I've been using an iPod Touch 4th generation, though only 32GB and have only had two weird issues over a 4 month span, so I'm most likely going to get one of those but it makes me mad that I have to buy something new to get all my music in the car (without using a thumbdrive and having to format some other way to get my playlists, etc.) But Toyota needs to update their manual and take OUT iPod Classic as a device that works when it isn't that reliable with the system.

#71 ·
I like the iPod Classic because I like having all my music on one device. (About 100GB).

I am usually able to get it to re-connect by rebooting the iPod.

I'll be on a fairly long trip today---about 90 min each way. I'll see if this "update" did anything to my system besides mess up the album art displays....

#73 ·
That usually works for mine too, but it's hard to reboot with one hand.

I said 64GB, that was wrong, I have the 160GB as well. I was thinking of the Touch and how I'd have to buy the 64GB because I have about 50GB. Only half as much as yours though!

#75 ·
No, we shouldn't have to do any of it!

Don't you have your own custom playlists of artists though? I just play it through if I want to hear a lot by one person.

I know there are others on here that swear by thumbdrives that they've organized with music programs on their PCs, Windows Media Player, maybe, and they say it's just as good, but I'm just not that computer savvy when it comes to the file names and folders and things to try and do it from the start, so I haven't attempted it. Just having to get all the iTunes into another program to begin with would kind of get me stuck. If you search on here for iPod and related items you can probably find the threads and those that have done it.

try this:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/101281-format-copying-music-usb-stick.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.