Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Entune Radio, cable, or iPod Classic?

42K views 77 replies 13 participants last post by  niterider 
#1 ·
New 2014 Rav 4 with Entune. iPod locks up after 5-6 songs -using bottom connector (usb). Have to reboot iPod. Then it plays well for a while then sometimes it goes ito reboot mode by itself. The iPod classic is about 2 years old. When I use the Aux jack it's fine, but it doesn't display on the screen and the steering wheel controls (except volume) don't work. Has anybody else seen this?

#2 ·
Mine does the same thing. iPod Classic, freezes about 10 seconds into the 5th or 6th song.
2014 Rav4. I have to reboot the iPod. I thought it might be because I was playing "Apple lossless" files, so I switched to a album with MP3. I got to the ninth song before it froze. Very disappointing. This iPod works perfectly in my old vehicle and with headset. Nothing wrong with the iPod. Do iPod nanos have this problem?

#4 ·
I've had pretty good luck today with leaving the iPod in a "locked" position while it is connected to the rav4. Make sure the little switch on the top of the iPod is all the way to the right before connecting it to the usb. I'm about 16 songs into a 99 songs playlist with no freeze up yet. I'm going to see if I can make it all the way to the end of the playlist before I mess with switching albums and such. I did discover that Entune has trouble with displaying the correct album art when I play apple lossless files. The playlist I'm playing now is all mp3, noproblems there.

#5 · (Edited)
My iClassic locks up the same way and now I've misplaced it to keep testing. I have the old version of Nano... the 4GB one. This one still freezes up except maybe once a day, instead of every 20mins so I'm using that. Then in iTunes I unchecked the "Use device for data" or "use for files" option in iTunes while syncing. I forget what the option is called specifically, it's similar to that though. Now my Nano doesn't crash anymore, but the Rav4 radio freezes up instead about once every other day... even longer. This is by far better for me because pushing the power on the stereo to reset it is much faster and way easier to do while driving instead of toying with my iPod. I need to find my iClassic to try the same iTunes trick because I really want to use that instead for my entire music collection. Let me know if you try it!

#7 ·
Just found my Classic. In iTunes the option is called "Enable Disc Use", i un-check this option. Gonna test it out tonight. Either way, this method did make my old generation Nano work better with my rav4 2014... or to be more accurate, it's been over a week since my Nano froze immediately after perform the aforementioned.

#11 ·
I just unchecked it. We'll see - it doesn't sound promising. I sent Toyota an email from MyToyota.com describing the problem. I wonder if they are even aware of the problem. Really no excuse for this. I don't believe this is an iPod problem - seems more like an Entune problem.:wall

#12 ·
I agree. Not an iPod problem. My iPod Classic works perfectly in every player I've ever plugged it into. This sucks. I spent today moving my music collection to a USB hard drive thinking I had found a solution to the problem. The radio spends about 30 minutes finding the data every time I start the car. Might be OK if I was driving cross-country non stop. I do have a large collection, that is why I have a 160GB iPod Classic, that is useless in my new vehicle.

#14 ·
That didn't work either. Went on My Toyota .com, they said to go to a dealer and try another radio. Like I'm going to sit there and listen to my ipod. I told them that was a useless response. They basically said "too bad". Just based on that statement, I may never buy another Toyota. I doubt we'll ever see a fix form them for this.

#15 ·
My original iPod was a iPod Classic 6th generation, 160 GB. I gave up on getting this to work.

I purchased a 5th generation 80 GB, used on ebay for $60. This has different firmware than the 6th generation. I loaded it up 3 days ago and so far it has been perfect. Even the artwork in the m4a files that did not display correctly before is now perfect. I couldn't be happier with the operation and sound of this iPod.

80GB, I can live with that.

#17 ·
Update: FAIL

5th generation 80GB froze. They always fail just after a tune starts, between the time when the song starts playing and the tag info and cover photo load. I am re-encoding all of my mp3 to a constant bit rate (192) and reducing the size of all the cover photos to 150 X 150. I am trying to take any load off the cheap processor that Toyoto put in the head unit. I have batch programs that do all the encoding. It takes a long time but little effort. I'll let you know in a week or sooner if it fails.

#21 ·
I am re-encoding all of my mp3 to a constant bit rate (192) and reducing the size of all the cover photos to 150 X 150. I am trying to take any load off the cheap processor that Toyoto put in the head unit. I have batch programs that do all the encoding. It takes a long time but little effort. I'll let you know in a week or sooner if it fails.
Failed again. I'm looking at at 64GB iPod Touch 4th generation, used, on ebay.

#18 ·
Thanks for the update! That's a bummer. iTunes had an automated process for downrezing your tunes at a click of a button only whenb transfering to ipod, doesn't affect source files. You have a good idea you're mentioning. Please let us know how it turns out.

My 4 GB Nano with "enable disk use" unchecked hasn't froze in a week.... drive 30 mins a day at least. Though only 4GB is really pissing me off when I have the 160GB Classic just taking up shelf space.

Edit: I'm gonna try that downrez feature for my classic!... it's already checked on my Nano which works better than anything mentioned yet.

I'm going to start a new thread if no one answers here... can only an iPod be used with the rav4 and still be controlled by the head unit.

Thanks Charlie!

#19 ·
The auto feature in itunes downgrades to 128, which is lower than I want to go. One reason I have the 160GB Classic is because I like all my tunes at the best resolution possible. I have a lot of stuff in Apple Lossless 24 bit. Too bad I'll never be able to listen to them in my new vehicle, unless I replace the radio.

#24 ·
I guess I'm an idiot, because I'm trying to read the beginning of this thread and everything I have tried sends me back to the main page instead of this particular conversation. This is my first time on the updated web page - *making my unimpressed face

Anyway, so forgive me if I repeat what has been said, but the same thing was happening to me and then my iPod died anyway but since then, this "new" Classic (technically old, but replacement from Apple store) has since done the same thing, though there's no pattern to it, sometimes it just resets itself and starts back at the beginning of the alphabet. So I guess it isn't just me, it's something with the iPods in general. Really??

#25 ·
Stay on Toyota, email and keep trying, because last year I was having a very hard time with the Entune lady understanding what I was saying (and I think I'm rather easy to understand) and I kept complaining and complaining and they finally got the dealer involved and got me the updated Entune (I forget which version it was) and it seemed better, as far as play whoever and actually having her play that choice, instead of giving me fourteen things to pick from that don't sound anything at all like what I requested.

BUT...since then, she seems to have slipped and is starting to give me way too many choices again and half of them don't sound anything like what I requested. So I have no idea what is up with that.

But my point is, if it's important to you (and mine was because I mostly listen to the iPod in the car) be persistent.

#31 ·
I got a used 64GB 4th generation Touch on ebay for $184. I've been using it all week with no problems. It's everything I expected my Classic to be, except less than half the storage capacity. I had to trim down my playlist and I also have to maintain two different Ipod, one for home and one for car. Bummer. Really, this would have been a deal breaker for me, if I had known.

#32 ·
Charlie - me too. I travel a lot and love my music. I'm trying to get used to the idea that I just have to reboot the ipod every once in a while. There is no pattern to it. This may be my last Toyota - if they can't make a radio, they are losing their quality. Makes me a little nervous about the design of other components. Not to mention their flip response when I dared to question them about it. See my previous posts for these details.

#33 ·
Well, I had complained about it and the voice command issues I was having last fall and it took me quite a while to get anything done and finally they updated me to 2.2, and that seemed to work, but really, didn't. So now I have a new case manager at Corporate who is much more interested in this. He got an iPod Classic and tested it on the systems in their office and said they had the same issues I have been having, with Her not understanding the names of playlists, etc. So he is going to talk to the audio people and see what they think. Who knows what if anything will happen, but I'm somewhat encouraged. So write to Corporate and complain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.