Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Navigation system RAV 2014 Limited problem

18K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  tanner9595 
#1 ·
On my car the Nav current position goes off the road at some point and then never returns back. After going off the road it goes further and further from the real position, even changes the direction.
When I come with this to the dealership they just do calibration (adjust position manually), drive around a little and then tell me that the system works fine. I had this already 3 times. I opened a case with Toyota but they keep telling me the same thing - dealership needs to recreate this condition when the system does not work.
Well, I bring the car to the dealership with wrong position on the map, why the GPS does not recalculate it? What else is needed? They just do not listen, keep saying they need to see how the position goes off the road.
Anybody had the same issues?

#2 ·
I have not had the issue but I have a couple of suggestions that may be possible for you:

1. Try a different dealership. You may get a different result at a different place.
2. Leave the vehicle with them. I had a problem in one of my vehicles onces and I just left it there. The service advisor made it his daily driver to and from work for 3 days or so until the problem happened. See if they may be open to something like this.

#3 ·
I don't have built-in GPS in the car, but I have been using many GPS units while hiking, boating and driving.

A GPS that "wanders" away can be caused by multiple causes:

- Reflection from surrounding objects. Because GPS calculates position based on precise timing of radio signals from multiple satellites, signals arriving via multiple paths, bouncing of other objects (building, rocks, etc.) can momentarily "confuse" a GPS receiver and make it "wander". However, the problem usually corrects itself quickly once you change the position and move away from the "offending" objects.

- Weak signal - GPS frequencies are vulnerable to attenuation from heavy cloud cover and heavy rain. In extreme cases, it can be enough to cause intermittent reception which greatly reduces accuracy.

- Interference and "blocking" - like any radio receiver, GPS receivers are not immune from common RFI. A strong signal, even on a frequency far away from GPS frequencies, can cause RFI problem and "blocking". "Blocking" is a temporary desensitization of the receiver which is "overwhelmed" by a nearby strong radio signal. For example, GPS may not work within few hundred yards from a powerful FM radio or TV commercial antenna. Even a cell phone placed within inches from a GPS antenna can cause momentary blocking.

- A failing receiver (the radio part) - a failing receiver may have hard time receiving weak GPS signals or be vulnerable to RFI. This is usually the #1 cause of inaccurate or "wandering" GPS. When the digital electronics fail, it is usually "everything-or-nothing" situation - it either works or fails completely. But if the analogue receiver section is having problems, it can sometimes work fine, then "wander", then get back to normal.

Try to discard potential external causes first - RFI, reflection, etc. But my bet is that your unit is failing, and more specifically, it is the radio receiver section of the GPS. Next time you have the issue, film it with your cell phone (ask a passenger to do it, don't try to do it yourself while driving) and show it to the dealer. They will probably ask you to email them the video so that they can forward it to Toyota. In the end, this should be fixed under warranty.

#4 ·
Well, finally it is fixed! Had to go to another dealership. They tried system reboot first but this did not help. Fortunately they agreed that there is a problem and were able to see it - I do not think the first dealership could not do the same, they just apparently did not want to. After replacing SD card, GPS antenna and then the head unit itself the problem gone.

#5 ·
I am having the same problem. I have been to the dealership 8...YES, 8 times, and it has messed up again. They have replaced the SD card and the radio itself, but nothing is working. Entune/Bing seems to be messing the navigation up, but today it messed up on its own. HELP! I'm about to claim the lemon law and get a new car!

#6 ·
I was thinking about lemon law too :) 4 visits to the first dealership then 2 visits to another... I left my car at the dealership and it stayed there for one week. The service manager contacted toyota tech line and as I understand toyota advised him what to do. The sd card was replaced first, then the GPS antenna (radio). I even thought I can get my car back but then the service advisor told me that they will need to replace the head unit itself and they are waiting for the part. Then in several days they told me the car is ready and everything works OK. So far it really works. I think your dealer should try to replace the head unit itself.

#7 ·
I contacted Toyota 1st thing this morning. I mentioned the word "lemon" and the service manager gave me his word that it will be fixed. They are having the inspector from the company come to take a look at my car. He mentioned the antenna could be bad since they have already replaced the head unit. I'll post the solution they find when they finally fix it.

#8 ·
Good luck. I went through a lot of aggravation. They "sent someone from the company" and replaced my system. It's still crap. It freezes after several hours of driving.

I am probably done with Toyota's. A shame. I looooved my Highlander, but I can't buy another Toyota after all this.

Reactions: shaylahs
#9 ·
Well, it seems to be fixed...after 10 visits! It is amazing what gets done when you use the words "Lemon Law," "Attorney," and "Better Business Bureau." They told me the head unit was bad (this is the one they had already changed out). They replaced it and it seems to be working well so far!

#10 ·
You can see your screen at night without over-riding the lightin with the dashboard dimmer? Were you able to see it before the replacement? My screen is almost black. I have to move the dimmer to a clicked position to put it into daytime lighting.

Did you have an freezing problems? Have you driven for more than 3 hours yet? That's when mine seems to freeze. And no way will I touch 3D. I can live without that, no big deal. The other 2 issues are still very much a big deal.

I hope for your sake they truly fixed it. 10 visits... INSANE.

#11 ·
Mine didn't freeze, the GPS signal just got lost. It would tell me I was several hundred miles away from my actual location. It would get farther and farther off the more I drove. I drove about 200 miles Saturday (after them finally fixing it) and it stayed on the whole time.
I also have not had any problems with the lighting. Good luck! I know we were all frustrated with mine!

#13 ·
Just about every cell phone has a built in free NAV app that runs rings around the Toyota one. Free ones as well as paid apps. My 2013 LTD AWD has it and after the first 1 or 2 uses I never touched it again. So user UNfriendly and terribly slow in keeping up with urban streets. Maybe out in the country where there is 1/2 miles between streets but not when they are close together. I use Navigon on both my Android and IPhone devices and find it 100x better then the stock Nav. PLUS the maps in the RAV-NAV are so outdated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.