Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2014 XLE stereo software update

33K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  onebud1 
#1 ·
I own a 2014 XLE. My stereo doesn't have navigation or entune. It does have weather and traffic. I have looked everywhere for software/firmware upgrades but cant find anything. My voice commands freeze my system and bluetooth calls are filled with static. I also read I may be able to install entune onto it? Can anyone help?

#2 ·
asa matter of fact i cant help, I have a 2014 bought in april XLE with basic entune, i was having major issues with blue tooth, voice command, traffic, weather etc. I was in the dealer close to once a week raising cain to get it fixed and kept being told by the dealer that it wasnt working correctly but Toyota says it is normal function (how toyota believes that nonfunction is normal function is beyond me), fortunately I know a partner in the auto group dealerhsip I bought it from and he being a long time family friend and realizing that I was making it very verbally known that its fraud if everyone that comes through his doors to buy a RAV4 is not told of these issues.
To make a longer sotry short, he was in Florida for a dealer conference and was talking to the top of the chain techincal guys about this issue as he has seen close to every RAV4 he has sold brought in for these issues. Toyota is well aware of the issue, they dont want to replace headunits.
As of May 1 all new RAV4 headunits have new software installed (i was lucky to get him to get me one of those and install it), headunits produced before May 1 will be getting a software patch in the near future.

Mine has been perfect since the new install, and I am very happy with it.

So some reccomendations, RAISE HELL in a very nice way, keep records, pester Toyota customer service (i was calling about every other day, and each time I call them they would contact dealership)

The old saying goes, the squeek in the wheel gets the oil, and it only took me about a month of squeeking to get the oil

#4 ·
i believe the update is through toyota, i kinda stopped asking questions once i was told i was getting the updated software head unit, so i cant really help you there. It did seem that this should be a sooner than later software patch due to the volume of issues they are having.
but again, i felt like and made it very clear that waiting for a software patch was unacceptable and i didnt pay for a new car to have a head unit that was working at 50% capacity. it was worth the fight for me to get the new head unit, up to you if you have the time and patience to stand your ground

#7 ·
Still no patch

Just got back from the dealer (5k service). 2014 Rav4 XLE. Still no patch, but they know about the problem.
They suggested to call regularly to see if the patch is available. The installation should not take long, but they have to do it. Probably the unit has to be hooked up to their computer via USB.

#8 ·
I have to call BS on Toyota...I have had the headunit replaced AND the software update on my 2014 XLE (purchased 31 May 2014). Still not working correctly, so Toyota is going to replace the headunit AGAIN! But this time, they are bringing in an engineer from L.A. to assist...we shall see.

#9 ·
onebud

I don't which issue you're having, but I had a problem with my headunit not being able to load apps, change sources, open the setup menu etc.

Toyota changed out my head unit, that did not fix the problem.

Toyota then changed out the Extension box, which is where the software is stored. That fixed my problem. Hope it helps you.

#12 ·
Just had mine in for service so I asked about a firmware update. I was told there isn't one out right now. He seemed slightly exasperated by my question so I figure I'm not the only one asking about it.

Hopefully it'll be out soon.

#14 ·
I have a 2014 XLE with the entune that has navigation, etc. Mine has been working fine but it seems lately it is getting slower. When I hit the voice command button it seems to take for ever to ready itself and then takes its time processing what I said. When I first got it, it was relatively smooth and responsive and figured out what i was saying most of the time. The other day i asked it to navigate to a restaurant and asked me if i wanted to go to some town in California (and I live in KC K)...:confused:

#16 ·
I'm a new member, and I have been dealing with voice recognition problems for more than a month on my new limited. Voice recognition stopped working completely so I took it in to my dealer. They tried a new cable, then said they ordered a new head unit. Called me a few days later and said Toyota sent them a software fix on a jump drive. They installed the new software and said your problem is solved. Then I started experimenting with playing music from my USB-connected iPod Touch. I have about 10,000 songs on it. When I push the voice rec. button and say "play album" I get the message "your music library is cataloging. Please try again later." It takes about 45 minutes for the music to catalogue. Only problem is, every time I turn off the car, the synch data dumps and when I restart the car, it begins cataloging from scratch. It takes another 45 minutes. I tested the procedure on my wife's 2013 Prius and while it takes a while to synch the first time the iPod is plugged in, it holds the data after the car is turned off.

Also, in the messaging app, I found that I am unable to change any of the quick responses and get them to save after the car is turned off. They always revert to the default message. I have a brand new Samsung Galaxy S phone and the dealer told me the problem is with my phone and not the car. Said the quick messages are stored on the phone and not in the head unit memory. I call BS on this too, because I tested it on my wife's Prius, and once again, the changed quick messages are retained in the car. They can be used on any phone connected via bluetooth.

My general feeling right now is that the new software update may have been designed to free up memory resources in the head unit by dumping all external data when the car is turned off. Most people would never notice this. If it is the case, it is only a bandaid, and not a proper fix.

Oh, and the voice recognition is still very wonky on the unit. The other day I pushed the button and said Go Home. It said, which Shoney's would you like to go to.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.