Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Flickering light in the Cruise Control stick switch.

17K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  nosfera2 
#1 ·
I've just notice yesterday that the light inside the Cruise Control stick switch was flickering. 2014 LE.

#3 ·
I have a '13 Limited. I've never seen a light ON THE STALK. I have an indicator - looks like a speedometer - in the dash display that shows when the cruise control is on. It's about the 5 O-clock position on the speedometer. Another indicator just above that one shows "SET" when the cruise control is activated.

I looked very carefully at the stalk and can't see anywhere there could be a light bulb, Again, mine is a '13. Maybe the 14 is different

#4 ·
Yes, there is an illumination from inside the STALK but There's none on the power windows switches so, in the dark, you use your senses to find the right one. I kinda missed my 94 Intrepid which has alien- green color lights on those.
I'm not too fond of letting the technician prodding around on my new car though.
Y

#6 ·
I have a 2014 XLE and the stalk of my cruise control lever is lighted.
I noticed this morning on my drive in to work that my flickers also.
???
I just had it at the dealer on Sunday to replace my passenger side vanity mirror because the light wasn't working-there was a wiring problem. Wish I had noticed this new issue sooner....

#8 ·
I have had my 2014 XLE for 6 months, but I rarely drive in the dark so I just noticed it this morning.
Once you do notice it though, it is very distracting. I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason why it does it. The display screen does something similar-goes from somewhat dull to very bright randomly.

#14 ·
my 2015 limited in hot lava does this too!:frown
I SO want a RAV4 in Hot Lava. It's killing me. I bought a black XLE about 3 months before they came out with the new colors and I was kicking myself for not waiting. I LOVE that color!

FYI-I brought mine back to the dealership and they replaced the entire cruise control stick and the flickering has not happened since.

#18 ·
Mine does the same thing!
I took it to service today and they said there is "not" a problem since they can't not re-produce the flickering.
Ugh it's so annoying. Should I take it back to service and say it's been a problem with others as well?
Has anyone else had luck at getting them to replace the entire cruise control stick?

#20 ·
That's interesting. I wonder if this affects other Toyota models as well? I had the same switch in my '06 and '12 Highlanders and my '09 RAV and never noticed any flickering in any of them.

I haven't looked at my RAV's switch for this issue yet, but I will.

#23 ·
How about those Venza's, is it happening to them as well? ?

#26 ·
2016 Limited Hybrid (about 6 weeks of ownership). The Cruise Control stalk does light up. I did not see it flicker but was driving so I could only occasionally glance at it.

The power window switches are not lit. However, the word Auto on the drivers window switch is lighted.

#32 ·
Thanks nosfera2 for the TSB. I have had this same problem with my 2015 XLE since day one. Because my dealer could not "reproduce" the issue and allegedly there was no TSB, they didn't really work to hard to address the problem. I have a service appointment next week so it will be great to drop this TSB on them...

#33 ·
From looking at the TSB, it looks like all they are doing is adding a ground wire for that circuit.

#34 ·
So al is well now. It helped having the TSB number handy. Initially when I talked to the service advisor, he gave me the "if the problem can't be duplicated" talk. But gave him the TSB number, and he then just added it to the work order.

But it was done quickly, did not even take an hour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.