Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anemic Bass Response for FM radio in Premium JBL Audio System

61K views 205 replies 51 participants last post by  Steve Sr 
#1 ·
In April I purchased a 2014 RAV4 Limited and for the first time I splurged for the "premium" JBL sound system. Obviously I was expecting an improvement in sound quality, but there was very little bass output while listening to FM radio, even after I adjusted the bass control all the way to the max. At first I thought this was a limitation of the hardware, but then I switched to XM radio and there was no comparison -- the bass boomed through loud and clear. The same with all other modes except FM (didn't try AM).

I brought my car back to the dealer and had them look at it for a day. They compared the car to another RAV4 on the lot, and told me the bass was the same in that car as well. I didn’t believe them, and asked them for a demonstration, which they accommodated. Sure enough, the other RAV4 sounded the same — very week bass response in FM, regardless of the slider setting.

Since then I have had a least 6 people in my car, several of them engineers, two of them musicians, and they have all told me the radio (or its design) is defective. I myself am a software engineer and it seems that this may just be a software issue, where the wrong coefficients were programmed in for the bass control setting in FM only (or something similar). Toyota says they know nothing about this problem, and JBL told me they only make the amp and speakers.

I was hoping that someone on this forum may have had a similar problem, or know something that could help. Thank you very much!

See less See more
#4 ·
My standards are not that high. My wife and I have owned several prior Toyotas (including quite a few base-model Corollas), as well as numerous other cars, and I have NEVER had one where the FM bass response was a bad as this car with its "premium" sound system. How this could ever get past Toyota's quality control is beyond me! If it were merely average I could live with it, but as it is every time I get in the car and turn on the radio I have to grind my teeth!

#5 ·
Couple things to try. Have you tried a different radio station? How about line in or bluetooth?

I have a XLE 2013, I put in an aftermarket amp, speakers, and sub but left the head unit alone. I have no problems with bass on the FM frequency. Given that you have bass response on XM radio it would appear that the amp is working correctly.

#6 ·
Yes, I spent three months listening to FM radio on a variety of different stations. I noticed that HD radio was very slightly better (as far as bass goes) than straight FM. I also tried CD (which rocked the bass!) and my iPod wired via a cable and also XM. I have no doubt the amp and speakers are working correctly -- the problem seems to be in the head unit and limited to FM (I didn't try AM, but why bother?). If I could at least find out from someone (Toyota, OEM, whomever) if the problem is in software (and therefore conceivably fixable or at least "improvable" with an upgrade) it would be helpful.

#11 ·
The JBL system has it's own amp for the subwoofer. However, there are no settings -- it is all done through the head unit. Regarding reception, for me FM comes in much better than XM because of all the trees in my area. I would listen to Pandora, but that's just another bill I have to pay (via my cell-phone carrier).

#13 ·
Hi Guys,

I am French Canadian (Sorry)... Very interesting post.

I am experiencing the same issue with my new RAV4 bought in July 2014.

During the road test with the salesman, I was happy to heard the radio in the demo RAV4. It was the Limited model. The vendor told that there are a version higher to get a much better sound system. In my mind I say... Wow...

I finally bought the RAV4 Limited with Techno option. (JBL Premium + GPS Navigator).

When I picked the RAV4 and but the radio FM, I was very desappointed. I call back the vendor and he told me to get an appointment with the service. I did.

The service check the config into the radio. Because on CD and XM mode, it is amazing... for me. No config issue all well set. :(

I asked them to compare with a pure Limited version. We did. The service admitted that there are no bass at all on the JBL Premium.

He called JBL for service and JBL said to replace the amp. I was not sure, XM and CD are fine. They replaced the amp.... The issue still there.

They called me again and the next step is to replace the radio. I will next week. Will see what happen...

Sorry again for my bad english...

Have a nice day to all of you.

SB

#16 ·
I'm not holding my breath on this. Just came back from dealer with crackling front dash speaker. Seems they're on backordered which tells me that lots of people are experiencing audio issues. MY JBL system is junk - but plays best over XM.

Given how craptastic the JBL headunit and speakers are, how bad the NAV is at actually navigating, this piece of junk and speakers will get tossed as soon as Apple CarPlay decks hit the market with Alpine and Pioneer decks in reasonable quantity.

#19 ·
Did you get the private message I sent you?

#22 ·
Hi Guys,

Radio has been replaced by the Dealer. Problem still there... :(

I have an appointment next week to show the problem with dealer's manager (sales). I asked them to have a RAV4 Limited without JBL. We will compare both. I told them, if my JBL is not enough good as the Limited one, replace my RAV4 Limited with JBL by a model Limited without this crappy JBL. That's it !!

I know... I am dreaming.... :)

Have a good day everone !

#23 ·
Sorry to hear this, but can't say I am surprised. The problem seems to be either in the design of the radio or in the software. I would be interested to discover how the comparison with the non-JBL version turns out. Thanks for keeping us informed and good luck at the dealer!!

#24 · (Edited)
FYI,

I went to another dealer and I simulated that I want to buy a RAV4 2014 and I would like to heard the sound for a JBL model and a non-JBL model. The dealer was not able to find a RAV4 with JBL in their stock :).

He suggested me to try a JBL into an AVALON model. I was able to reproduce the problem... :). the DSP function was turned off in the AVALON and the sound was the same of my RAV4. Put back the DSP function and the sound was amazing. I checked into the RAV4 Radio and I didn't find the DSP function. Maybe I am on the solution... :)

I scheduled an appointment with my dealer next Wednesday PM. Maybe something is missing in the radio software...

I won't give up !!!

David vs Goliath !!!

Thanks guys !!

#25 ·
Maybe that's the Bongiovi digital sound processor that was available as an option only in Canada?

#28 ·
Follow up:

I visited the dealer again and they refused to compare a LIMITED with and without the JBL.

The LIMITED with JBL is build like this, they said. We compared with an other LIMITED with JBL and this is the same behavior.

Fore the technical team, nothing to do .... "As is" they told me. The technical manager said that I should talk to sales department, nothing can be do on their side, nothing to repair... :(

When they replaced the radio few weeks ago, they forgot my SD Card in the previous radio. I am waiting my SD Card since... 2-3 weeks ago.

I am pretty sure that they put me on the blacklist... I called back, sent emails... No reply at all. :( Very disappointed about their services and products).

I will continue to put pressure on Toyota Canada to get my money about the extra that I paid for this f... radio.

Will see...

Have a nice week-end to all.

#29 ·
It's been a while and wondering if
1. you are living with it
2. you replaced the radio
3. you now no longer listen to FM
4. you traded in the vehicle
5. you drove it thru the dealer window and now you are in jail.

I ask because at first I thought the radio was fine but now I notice the FM has such poor base my work vehicle that is a ford transit connect that I replaced the only 2 speakers in in doors with pioneer 3 ways for $70 sounds night and day better in base than this JBL in FM, now in XM this JBL is outstanding, WTF gives??

I also need to test this more but these are the steps so far (of course I could be just dreaming it)
1. turn mid and treble to mid point
2. turn base all the way down
3. set to a FM station
4. shut off rav4
5. turn back on rav4
6. now turn base up all the way
seems better until you forget to turn the base back down before power off.
now I could have just imagined it, i need to test this more.

Also the volume, base, etc.. have their own settings per fm and xm and maybe all inputs.

BUT this is driving me nuts, now that I actually listen to FM a lot more than when I purchased the rav4. I can not believe this radio has this problem and absolutely no resolution. There should be some type of secret menu for the radio to adjust it (service mode) that I have yet to find how to access, very strange........

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.