Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Dashcam, Anyone?

47K views 117 replies 37 participants last post by  richrack 
#1 ·
Hi, Has anyone installed a dashcam in their RAV4? Would like any input as to make, model, etc.
Thanky.

#96 ·
Hmm. I'll take a photo this weekend after I throw it in the RAV and you can decide. I never thought it was that noticeable in my previous vehicle unless you turned your head and looked into the car, and then there is no hiding it. I didn't buy it for the 2k, just because it had good reviews and was on sale (picked it up for $60). I also got the extra $20 mount that includes the GPSr, a hard-wire USB power module and a fuse tap. I'm going to plot out and hard-wire it in the RAV eventually.

#102 ·
I promised some photos of my dashcam installed. it's very obvious in bright daylight, as it gets darker out it is harder to see, but this would be with any car i suppose. The first three are in full sunlight, the last one is at dusk. I was able to tuck the cable into the overhead and pillar pretty easily. It's routed to the 12v socket for now. I need to find a fuse box to tap into for hardwiring it. It might annoy some passengers, but, feh, they are passengers! The suction cup won't stick to the metallic dots near the mirror obviously. If the mount had the power cable sticking out the side I could have raised it up a little higher.

Attachments

#103 ·
Post some recording clips or screen grabs please.
I mounted mine as high as possible within the wipe area with lens almost touching the screen and still get a lot of hood and dash reflection. (already installed polarizing filter). Had to aim it very high.

#109 ·
Awesome $43.00 Amazon Dash Cam

I recently bought a dash cam off of Amazon. This thing is great, especially for the price. Throw in up to a 32gig sd card. loop recording, night recording, HD picture ect.

For the price you really cant go wrong. plus it has a 11 foot cord so you can tuck the cord into the interior instead of it hanging down.

You honestly can not go wrong with this cam. Turns on/off with car. Worth a look.

Vehicle Car Dash Camera Video DVR Cam Recorder 1080P 150 degree 2.7" LCD with Night Vision
Sold by: C-Mall Canada
CDN$ 42.99

Currently on sale for 40.00

#112 ·
You don't want to be too cheap with the dashcam, because it's completely useless at night because you won't be able to see the license plate or the face of a person most of the time. I currently own a $50 dashcam and $250 dashcam and the quality is definitely different. $50 one is fine during the daytime with HD quality image, constantly recording and saving and gets rid of the old unwanted file automatically, but during the night time, everything is fine except you can't really see the license plate because the CA license plate is white, and it comes out too bright due to the headlights. However the $250 dashcam does all the above, plus the shock sensor-triggered recording, event recording, and parking-mode with staying on 24-hours a day even though the car is parked. Plus it has almost perfect night-mode with able to make out the face, license plate, and it has inverse color thing so at a complete darkness, you can still see it.

#113 ·
What $250 dash cam do you have? Any link to it? I don't mind paying more for a good one. I have several $50 ones that work okay for the cars they are in and my work truck but I would like a better one for my main cars.

#117 ·
I have tried OEM Toyota Dashcam from my another car 2021 Venza and it was working perfectly on 2019 Rav4 XLE Premium. It is pricey, but no wire cuts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.