Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Dashcam, Anyone?

47K views 117 replies 37 participants last post by  richrack 
#1 ·
Hi, Has anyone installed a dashcam in their RAV4? Would like any input as to make, model, etc.
Thanky.

#2 ·
I'd be interested too.

#28 ·
Because of this post I purchased this from this seller on ebay. I am pleasantly surprised! The quality is great so far.

$21.97 shipped to my door.

The longest it will record is 10 minutes, then it starts over. When it is connected to my PC through the USB cable, I see quite a lot of movies, so apparently the recording is not overwritten, but capped at 10 minutes then the recording continues. My SD card is 8GB and 10 minutes of video at 1080p is about 1.5MB. Other resolution choices are 720p and VGA. I tried choosing VGA and still could only record 10 minutes.

The owners manual is in very small print, but if you are a typical male, you don't need a stinkin' manual I flubbed through it and learned more than if I had read the manual. One word of caution : DO NOT CHOOSE RESET FROM THE DASHCAM MENU. If you choose reset, the default language is Chinese, all the menus are in Chinese, so unless you can read Chinese, you will have to wander around in the menus until you find the language selection. I spent over 10 minutes getting it back to Engrish.

I'd give this cam a 9.5 out of 10.

Great stocking stuffers too....

#11 ·
Just made a bid on a no name brand copy of this.

135° Full HD 1080P Mini 0801 Ambarella A2S60 Built IN 8GB CAR Camera DVR GPS | eBay

I should be able to get it around 28- $30 USD.

I intend to leave it in the car permanently without having to remove it everytime I park.
Was considering one that's in a rear view mirror. Drawback is it'll interfere with the sun shades. Also wife and I have a 10" difference in height so have to aim camera everytime we adjust mirror. Connect to cig. outlet it'll switch off when ignition switch is off.

#12 ·
Just an update on the dashcam, since they are very low-cost, I bought 3 different models, the first one with the flip-down LCD, same as the one NOEL has, another one was the type with the built-in LCD in the back of it, and the 3rd one is the type that is built into a rearview mirror that clamps over the existing rearview mirror.
I will install the rearview mirror model, I think that one has the cleanest install, and least likely to be noticed.
Electronics Technology Multimedia Electronic device Camera

Product Cameras & optics Technology Electronic device Gadget

Electronic device Electronics Technology Automotive mirror Rear-view mirror

#13 ·
Just an update on the dashcam, since they are very low-cost, I bought 3 different models, the first one with the flip-down LCD, same as the one NOEL has, another one was the type with the built-in LCD in the back of it, and the 3rd one is the type that is built into a rearview mirror that clamps over the existing rearview mirror.
I will install the rearview mirror model, I think that one has the cleanest install, and least likely to be noticed.
Hi there, will you take pics of the install and where you drew power from. Thanks for doing this. I think there are more and more people becoming interested in this measure of security. I predict that in a few years most car companies will offer a dashcam as an option.

Also, what's your concern regarding people noticing your dashcam? Is it a possible theft concern?

#14 ·
Hi Joe,
I plan on routing the wire up along the headliner, then down the pillar on the driver's side, and then get it behind the dash. I will add a 12V socket that will be hidden behind the dash, and plug it in there. I think a camera built into the mirror would look more OEM than a camera stuck to the windshield with a suction cup and thus less noticeable as an 'aftermarket' accessory.

#15 ·
Won't the lens in the mirror be blocked by the "tinting" on the windshield which consists of black dots?

#18 ·
Looks nice, but I would lose my autodimming mirror with compass.

#19 ·
I think it is good to have; they act as an impartial witness in case of an accident. Sadly, there are dishonest people in the world, and a dashcam provides irrefutable evidence of what happened before, during, and after an incident. No more "your word against theirs" - rest assured you will always have the truth on your side with a dashcam.

#22 ·
I use one that I bought in oversea. PaPaGo 2 Pro. That unit has extra fuction such as GPS data for road recording, Lane Departure Assist, Front end alert, Front moment alert and Head light turn on reminder.

I may thinking have another unit to put on the back. But I still looking for the one can do one recording on front and back, plus recording even car turn off.

I did not do any wire because I need to remote my unit every time that I park some unsafe area in NYC.

That Unit cost about 250 USD

#24 ·
You do know those are available on aliexpress.com for +/- $50 right?

#26 ·
For that price, you might as well buy a GoPro.

#30 ·
Actually, my wife needs a new laptop bag, and I need some 1GB flash drives so Microcenter here we come!

Thanks, whipaway

#32 ·
Great choice. A well thought out unit.
I've a mobius on it's way from China through ebay. My first camera and didn't want to spend too much.

#33 ·
#37 ·
I bought this camera from dx.com, which is an asian online store. It was only $30 (currently $21) so I bought one to try out. It was really easy to install in the RAV. The video quality is only ok. You can't stick a suction cup to the black dots at the top of the windshield, so it hangs down a little lower than I would like. I ran the power cord down the front passenger pillar then under the glove box and into the front 12v plug. Hardwiring it would have been above my capabilities I feel so I went with this option. It turns on automatically when I turn on the rav and it turns off when I shut off the rav, so I don't even know it's there. It records in 15 minute files then deletes the first one when it gets full. For $30 it's pretty good and should get the job done if I ever need video evidence.

MZ H.264 720P Wide Angle 6-LED Night Viewing Digital Car DVR Camcorder w/ Mini USB/SD (2.5" LCD) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

#41 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.