Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2014 RAV4 is killing my back, hips and butt!!!

19K views 63 replies 25 participants last post by  Dr. Dyno 
#1 ·
Help!!! I have a 2014 le rav4. I traded a 1993 corolla that was very comfortable to drive. This new rav is killing me to drive. I have tried many different seat positions , but can't find a comfortable position.I am 60 ,in great shape and very active.The pain is in my lower back, hips and butt. I have 1500 miles on it and ready to get rid of it. I will take a bath on a trade , but man oh man this sucks!!! Any advise would be great...........:crying

#2 ·
You could try swapping your seat to one with power and lumbar support. Perhaps you'll get lucky and find one from an xle or limited at your local auto scrap yards. Worst case you'll need to buy one from you Toyota dealer.

The power seats have way more seating positions. My local Toyota dealers rent out all models, if your dealer does the same then you could rent one with the power seat for a couple of days and then see if the power seat helps.

#5 ·
If having a seat cushion doesn't work, I remember that in another thread a member - if I recall, RTexasF - suggested that the seat could be customized by going to a good upholstering shop.

#6 ·
Do you have a wallet in your back pocket? I find with my 2013 Limited that seats are firm and comfy but I can feel my wallet. On longer trips I have to remove it.

#9 ·
Well i did not get a seat cushion, as they did not have them in store. I have the LE rav. The more i think about it, i don't like the idea of adding pillows and such to be comfortable.It's a new car and should be great as is. The biggest problem seems to be the shape of the seat. It puts my body in a c shape. The lack of lumbar adjustment is maybe the problem. Hard to say what is going on ,as they sell lot's of rav's and i don't see any complaints about seat comfort. I will keep trying to get it to work, as we are in winter now and travel slows down. If i can't get comfortable i will get something else in spring. This rav will have maybe 3000 miles on it by than. Live and learn i guess. next time comfort we be my main concern. Thanks for the comments and or advise.

#10 ·
There is no frigging way the seat can accommodate every possible human size and shape. The base RAV4.3 seats are very firm, but comfy for me on even long trips. Not sure of RAV4.4 as I never sat in one.

#48 ·
Exactly

Wouldn't be cheaper to look for a wrecked Limited or just buy the Limited seats than getting a new rig?

I did that when I had a 2000 Echo. Replaced the seats with those from a RS Echo. Seats were way better.
This

I would just get new seats.
this...

My first thing is when buying a vehicle is comfort...how it feels like driving. Road noise, seat comfort, suspension etc is number one. Unfortunately you have to make a critical decision when test driving a vehicle since you dont get to take it on a road trip.

#12 ·
Update on 2014 RAV4 LE driver's seat comfort. Well still seating on a piece of foam and using a thin baby blanket for some lumbar support.It is not as painful as it was , but i am still not very happy about it. Because i can't believe how uncomfortable the seat is on this brand new car, i have found myself looking into other parked 2014-2015 rav's parked where ever i happen to be. There it is , things hanging from the headrest. Pillows and lumbar rolls lying and the seat. So i know i and not the only one not happy with the seat comfort.I am a true Toyota guy, but i am ready to move on to another brand. A brand that you can just get in and drive in comfort without pillows and cushions and such. It also blows my mind that out of the thousands of 2014 Rav's sold no one is talking about it. I wish someone from Toyota would read this and explain how the seat is suppose to be comfortable. Maybe i am using it wrong. It's not rocket science, but maybe there is something i am missing. If by chance someone has an answer please let me know.

#13 ·
Really?

You post and talk as if THE RAV is the problem. Have you considered that perhaps it's YOU?

Not meaning to be offensive -- but seriously: "...It also blows my mind that out of the thousands of 2014 Rav's sold no one is talking about it."

This is mind blowing to you? Obviously if there are many examples of the Rav on the road and the vast majority of people aren't complaining about seat comfort -- it's not the seat that is the problem. It's the person sitting in it finding discomfort.

For what it's worth, I don't think you're the first person on here to complain about the seats (but people do come to the internet to COMPLAIN more than praise) and I think both of you had sub-limited models. I have a limited and I find the seats to be really comfortable. They're not like a couch (like our older Pontiac was) and they're not racing seats (more like what my Civic Si or RSX-S was equipped with) but a nice blend.

I would recommend you go and test out a limited. Maybe the seat is different (I thought it was just the surface material but maybe there's more to it). If you like that seat comfort better, surely replacing your front couple of seats or even just your drivers seat is cheaper than getting rid of the entire vehicle.

#14 ·
I don't agree with the preceding post about the problem with the RAV's seat being the fault of the user. I'm not fond of the seats in my 4.3 Base with Upgrade Value Package, either. I sat in a 4.3 Limited at my servicing dealer and also in a 4.4 and there was little if any improvement. The problem for me is that my driver's seat is reasonably OK (the usual test drive before purchase isn't nearly long enough to reveal problems) until I take a longer trip, then it becomes uncomfortable. Adjusting the angle also helps only a little. I'm thinking about following the advice of a related thread and having a good upholstery shop modify the seat. If I could afford it and if I could figure out how to deal with the seat-mounted airbags I would consider buying a Recaro seat!

#15 ·
I bought an '03 Corolla brand new and found the driving position horrid. It didn't show up during the test drive naturally. I didn't like the car overall as much as I thought I would and traded for a new '04 Accord within a year. That car, along with an 80's Buick, had the most comfortable seats I've ever had the pleasure of plopping my arse in.

Oddly I find the manual seats in our Base RAV more comfortable than the power seat in the Limited for short distances. For driving of any time/distance (as in hours) I prefer the Limited since just a button touch can make a world of difference. If I drove long distance on a regular basis I would indeed find a reputable auto upholsterer to redo the Limited driver's seat to fit me better.

I would certainly look into that if I had a new 2014 to pay on for five years or so, especially if the seat is causing that much pain & misery.

#16 ·
I too have to agree with Blogson and RT. I for alittle sorry for the guy with seat problem. Since the other guy mentioned that he has the limited and the seat is great.

My point why cant all car makers just give the same seat for all models. I too had a accord 03 and again like RT said it was the best seat I too every sat on. Yes all body types are different I get it too. But I believe they cheaped out on the seats. Again with the money they ask for cars today you would think they would try and make all happy or just design the best overall seat and put it in every model for that particular car/suv. I believe honda did it in the early and mid 90's.

Honda does know how to tackle fit I believe better than most car makers. Just keeping it real. And I do wonder if you can put a limited seat in a LE or xle. I know the Le does not have the same seat. Its wider. Yes I am complaining for betterment not just to complain.

#17 ·
I Have the LE too and just make the most of it also. Not the best for seating, I got the rav for the room and it fit my needs. I too know that I will not be hanging onto it like I did with my accord. At some point will go back to a car but not right away. One reason for getting a LE did not cost me much. And you do see alot of used 13's on the used car market. I wonder if it was gas or comfort that made people get rid of them?

#18 ·
I just don't really get it.

Every single person is different. Different size, different shape, different weight, different muscle strengths/weaknesses, different past (I have a bad back b/c of an auto accident), different ages, different history to compare to....you get the point.

How does one expect Toyota (or any company) to create a seat that can be comfortable to EVERY PERSON who sits in it?

I still stand by my sentiment that *most* people don't have an issue with it because if it were really as bad as it sounds in this thread, I would imagine we would have many many more of these same kinds of threads.

Having cross-shopped most of the vehicles in this segment, I can say that the only seats I found to be more comfortable were in the Nissan Rogue (surprisingly enough) and the CR-V seats were about the same as the Rav. We used to have a Saturn Vue and those were horrible seats. Just horrible. No padding, no support, etc.

Speaking of padding and support -- and this is a serious question: What is it about the Rav seats that is not good for those of you complaining? Do you think it needs to be a different shape? Different size? More padding? Or is it just plain uncomfortable and you can't really pinpoint what the problem is (and I ask that last one with zero snarky sarcasm -- in all honesty)?

I'm genuinely curious.

Thanks.

#23 ·
I believe maybe (?) not now but honda has proven to be king of ero design fit for driver comfort. If you ever sit in a honda at least for me. You can easily feel comfortable resting your arm or have enough space. And reaching for stuff too.

So the answer for seating in the rav or any rav. Toyota needs to just add I believe adustable lumbar support for all cars, trucks suv's. This would help in trying to meet all body types in my thinking. I think if my driver and passenger seat had this not as option but comes with all models. They would see alot more in sales than they think they would. This is what I mean by value for money. I mean how much can it really cost them to do it across the board for all their stuff. They sell alot now but more is more profit for them. And in the end isn't that what its all about for these big companies.

I will say this, first I truly believe all car makers try and get away with making cars less comfortable starting in their lower models and more comfortable in the higher models. Hoping that the customer figures it out and goes with the higher model. They still could have all their other electronic do dads too.

So the answer for me on the seats would be should arrive with lumbar support inflatable kind. And maybe alittle more cushion support for thighs. For example my accord did not have lumbar but it supported my thighs and hips. It made all the more comfortable on long trips. I notice on the rav if it had more of that. Maybe it would work better. And I do know sometimes lumbar support does not work for all either. That is why it should be inflatable.

O ya and maybe the reason you dont hear people complaing more, is that they dont want to cause any bitter discussion with others. Or they find their own work around.

Here is another example to back up my discussion. I recently sat in a new mazda 6 the base model. Well the cloth seat did not feel good to me at all. But the next model up touring one, (forget) had the faux leather. It felt so much better. Thus if I was going to buy one, I would have had to get the touring model. So again really is it really costing them more, if they put this in all their whole lineup. Think if they offer that but cut back on some electronic do dads their still making money. And probably adding to their rep. too in that customer would be like look i can get faux leather at this pricing. O well. In the end we all pick the suv or car that fits our needs. Right now the rav4 its a dependable suv (i hope for me) and fits my needs. Just cause I have something bad to say about the seating doesnt mean I totally hate toyota either. And not picking on others. I said it before and will say it again. I hope the yr 16 or 17 models fix address all the seating complaint they might be getting. Didn't they say (their words) not mine. We want to make less cars/truck and put back quality in future cars/suv. Lets see what happens.

#19 ·
I find the seats very hard, more "coosh" would work for me. There is nothing wrong with firm seating but it can be made to be comfortable so why can't/won't they do it? Honda has mastered it.

I've only ridden in the back seat of an '08 RAV once (trip from the eye doctor & blind as a bat) and I was surprised at how uncomfortable it was. Yes, I got the angle and distance from the front seat to suit me but the bottom seat base is so thin it's damn near painful and this was for less than 5 miles. Others much lighter than me have ridden there for hours on end with nary a complaint. Obviously, much like the thread originator it is just me, not the majority of folks. If I had to ride back there for any distance I would take the bus.

#20 ·
I agree with manhog and RTexasF about Honda being able to make seating which is reasonably comfortable. The front seats in my wife's CR-V EX are more comfortable than the seats in my RAV and sitting on them for long distances is not a problem, unlike the front seats in my RAV.

#24 ·
Doesn't Recaro make OEM Honda seats (at least for some models)? Maybe not, but that's what I thought was in my RSX-S (not branded Recaro, but produced by them) and possibly in my Civic Si. It looks like Toyota has a subsidiary that supplies their seats. Maybe they should outsource them?

#25 ·
I did not start this post to complain about Toyota or any car company. I have been driving cars since 1971. I have had many cars ,trucks,van's, school buses, heavy machinery, etc. This is the first car seat i find uncomfortable.I love my RAV4, other than seat comfort. As stated before it work's for my needs as far as room and design. The problem seems ,at least to me to be the shape of the seat. As long as your walking straight up on two leg's, the human spine is curved for a reason.Your hips need to be angled to take pressure off your lower back and butt. The shape of the seat rounds you out and puts you in a c shape. On youtube there is a video of two Physical Therapists who explain what they think the problem is with this shape of seat. Funny thing is he is driving a new Honda CRV. I buy toyota because they have always been great for me. This one not so much. Like i said before, maybe the engineer who designed the seats need to explain how to use them to be comfortable. That is all i was hoping for, someone who could say move this or that and your good to go. As far as people being different sizes , weights, heights, etc. The human spine remains the same. The seat should support your body no matter what. Tweaking angle, seat distance and whatever is more for those different human shapes you speak of. If i learned anything from this , it would be to rent or test drive a car for a couple of hours. If your good you will most likely be happy down the road.I use the internet for information, not to start trouble. I was just looking for a little help and advice from someone who may have been dealing with the same issue and found a solution.

#26 ·
Have you at least tried test driving a Limited to see if the seats feel any different? That way you would at least know if replacing the seats in your LE with ones from a Limited or trading in your LE and upgrading to a Limited are worthwhile options. Otherwise, what are your only realistic options? Why not cut your loses and find something else that better meets your individual needs? You might be pleasantly surprised at how much you could get in trade in value. Life is too short to spend years of it being in pain and discomfort and subsequently dissatisfied, unhappy and bitter over a few thousand dollars.

#27 ·
I have a 2011 Limited with the full power seat which, of course, includes the adjustable lumbar support. I have to extend it all the way out.

It was still an uncomfortable seat. I added the top of the line Wet Okole neoprene seat covers. Problem solved! The little extra padding did the trick. Comfort is important to me (being a skinny old guy). In other vehicles I added a lumbar support under the seat cover. Went through a couple until one was just right.

We are all built differently, so perhaps a good seat cover and lumbar support will help you out.

#33 ·
The problem with the LE seats aren't the seats but the non adjust-ability of them other than forward/aft and recline. In my LTD it has lumbar and power seating adjustments.

As I said before...with my wallet out of my pocket and the heated seat on...I could drive forever. If Toyota made a office chair using the LTD seat I'd buy one. :laugh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.