Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Toyota won't be using Android Auto in its US vehicles, favors its own system

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  rad3d 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Hey can u get anymore cheaper Toyota. I am taking it and not really knowing that I wonder if there is some sort of fee they have to pay apple or android systems? Thus they think they are smarter than the avg. IT giants!

DON'T they know that the people who got entune already are disappointed with it! Boy these car companies are monsters. LOL imho.

I predict if they stay with this entune system. In two years they will be using apple and android and the statement will come out that both systems are now safe to use with their cars/suvs.

I know people are not happy with the honda inhouse system too.

#7 ·
This should not be an issue or an excuse for anyone to not buy a Toyota.
There are aftermarket solutions for Android auto and Apple car play coming to the consumer market this year, so that would be no concern for me if I were to shop for a new Toyota.

I know for sure I'll be getting the new Parrot Rnb6 later this year.

Reactions: Klink and rad3d
#10 ·
The first few models will be a little expensive no doubt about that, however by 2016 the prices will probably be driven down due to competition
from other manufacturers. As of now only Kenwood and Parrot have units ready for this year so we'll see how it goes.

I guess I'm behind the times, but what is better about having an android or Apple system?
I do know that I sometimes have a hard time connecting my phone via Bluetooth, not sure if that's an issue with Entune or my phone.
I guess my question is what am I missing with Entune that Android or Apple has?
At this point Apple car play is very limited and did not allow for many apps to be used on the units. Android auto is superior in this aspect.

#9 ·
I guess I'm behind the times, but what is better about having an android or Apple system?
I do know that I sometimes have a hard time connecting my phone via Bluetooth, not sure if that's an issue with Entune or my phone.
I guess my question is what am I missing with Entune that Android or Apple has?

#11 ·
#12 ·
I think I'll be going with Parrot, they seem to keep things more open sourced for easier tinkering within the system.
Their current HU has root and the play store is fully accessible. There's a whole section on xda forums.

I expect pioneer and Kenwood will have their systems locked down and hard to root (as usual).

#13 ·
Parrot definitely looks cool. Too much for my needs, though.

I would hope someone comes out with a head unit whose primary purpose is to support CarPlay and Android Auto only. Since these platforms run entirely from the phone, I don't need a head unit with it's own navigation or support for other app models (AppRadio, etc), just basic radio/audio control support on it's own if you don't have your phone. Other than that, it's just a touch screen monitor with support for the essential audio, usb and steering wheel connections.

Certainly, something in the $300-350 range should be doable. That's the price range that's going to sell tons of these things. No need to worry about app support from the maker of the head unit since it's all Apple/Android based at that point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.