Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Cargo mat question

7K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Leonard1818 
#1 ·
This is my first post but I have been reading others posts for about a week. I have done a search for cargo mats but haven't seen anyone ask or answer my question. I am looking to buy a cargo mat/liner. The most common choices appear to be Weathertech, Husky, and the rubber OEM Rav4 liner. My question is how stiff are they? My wife has a Honda Pilot with a OEM cargo mat. If we take off the trash and something spills in it you can grab the mat on each side, bend in up on the ends a little and take it out of the trunk without it going limp and collapsing and therefore spilling liquid in your vehicle.

If you have any of these models can you tell me how stiff or thick they are? Can you grab them with one hand on each side without them collapsing or going limp? Any other feedback about what you like or don't like about your liner would also be appreciated. I am enjoying the site.

#3 ·
I purchased the Aries Mats for my 2013 XLE. Got them in November and they are working strong and hard this winter. Clean up is super easy, the do not slide around at all. In fact, you can't even move them side to side, just lift straight up.

You can see my original post here: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/169937-aries-3d-all-weather-floor-liners.html

In the back I installed the Toyota OEM mat and it is fine. it covers the floor perfectly, as it should, and the edges have not collapsed at all. I am very happy with it.

#4 ·
DanielJr82'
Thanks for the video link. That does help answer my question about stiffness. An update on the OEM cargo mat would be great. I can see that they also seem to have a lip around the edge of the mat but it doesn't look as tall as the Weathertech. This could help in preventing the lip from sagging but I wonder if it would be enough to keep spills from getting out.

#5 ·
The cargo mat we have is the oem model that protects the rear seat back as well as the cargo floor.I doubt that you could remove it from the cargo area without spilling whatever liquid on the carpeted floor.It has great coverage but is very ungainly to install and remove.

#10 ·
In the past I have purchased matts (front, middle and rear cargo) from Husky, 3D Max, Toyota and Weather Tech matts for my vehicles. I have to say that the Husky matts seem to be stiffer then the Toyota and Weather Tech Matts but the Weather Tech have the best fit. The new Toyota cargo mat has changed in the last couple years. It is softer and has no real lip around the exterior. The Toyota rear cargo matt for my 2010 Corolla is identical to the Weather Tech matt. I purchased black front, middle and rear Weather Tech matts for my new RAV4 and I am 100 % satisfied. IMO...go with Weather Tech....good luck

#11 ·
The reason I purchased this mat was because it was a used one that I found on Ebay, and it was very low in price. I just wanted to protect the carpet when picking up discarded stuff such as lawnmowers off the street. If you have kids who might be spilling soda, etc, then the Husky, 3D Max, or Weather Tech mats might be a better choice for you.

#13 ·
I have the weather tech. I love them. Yesterday I had a full thermos of tea and placed in on the passenger side floor board. When I got to my destination 45 minutes later half of the tea leaked out of the thermos and was completely contained in the weather tech. I lifted the whole mat out of the car and poured out the tea. I could not believe what happened.
I failed to assemble the thermos correctly after it was washed in the dishwasher.

#16 ·
I also recently ordered the weathertech mats (front, rear & cargo), and also picked up the stone/bug deflector. The mats look great, and fit well. Haven't put the deflector on yet, as my Rav4 is covered in salt from the last storm that passed thru. Good luck with your purchase.

#18 ·
Good Choice, I have the weathertech cargo mat and the OEM front and back foot area mats.

The Weathertech has saved us in the cargo area 2 times (that I know of... but not my DD). The OEM rubber in the front and back seats are horrible. I wish I had just gone with Weathertech all around. I will never rely on Toyota brand mats again. Hondas have been fine in the past -- I have them in my Civic and they're nice, but I'll need to see them moving forward to make sure they don't cheap out like Toyota.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.