Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Let There be LIGHT!

63K views 161 replies 60 participants last post by  Brendan14 
#1 ·
I switched all interior lights on my 2015 Limited to LEDs. I really like the look and find the cargo light much brighter than stock. But it really focused my attention on the cargo light's lack of function. Every other car I've had with a cargo area had a light that turned on when the door was opened--even a sub $20k car. It is an annoyance to have to turn this light on and off.:frown

My question is: if someone forgets to turn it off, will it turn off automatically after a set time? Or will it stay on and run my battery down? If it does turn off after a time period, when attempting to turn it on later I suppose one would have to turn the switch off and then on again?

Thoughts?

#2 ·
My LED goes on when I open the hatch and goes out when I close it. All the other LEDs go out when I lock the RAV.

#5 ·
I finally purchased this bulb for the cargo light:

EBay Item Id: 370832745999

I bought the last one yesterday, but if you are interested in buying one just email the seller. They replied promptly to my inquiry.

Initially I purchased a set of LED bulbs that supposedly included a cargo bulb. But all the festoon bulbs included were 31mm--the dome light size. The cargo light bulb is actually 29mm. At first I bent the stationary contact in the cargo light to accommodate the larger bulb. But the switch contact moves the bulb back and forth; this causes the bulb to rotate some. I wasn't comfortable about stability over the long term so I purchased the correct size as above.

#7 ·
you guys might also want to check ddmtuning.com.

i bought several LED in the past (festoon, wedge and panels). In the end i ended up using panels where ever i can fit them.

Panel sizes differ from 20x16mm, 40x20mm, 60X20mm, 40x35mm and cob panels 17cm. I liked the panel LEDs mainly because they give off a lot of light compared to festoon or wedge LEDs. Application wise, you do not have to worry because it comes with all the different adapters you need. the extra effort that you have to do is how to fix it in the slot that you are trying to replace it with. Word of hint: you'll need the 3M double sided tape. Goodluck finding what suites you.

#8 ·
The Autogoody pack is not for 2013-2015 RAV4. Ours don't have courtesy step lights. Also pictured in the pack are festoons larger than 31mm, which is the largest interior bulbs our models take.

Best thing is to measure what you have and make sure the kit includes those size and configuration of bulbs, or buy them separately.

#12 ·
I purchased and installed the Autogoody set as well and everything is working as it should.

#13 ·
Help urgently required.

My tiny brain is going around and around as the more I look on the internet the more I get totally confused.
Please would some kind soul tell me the full details of which wedge LED replacement bulbs I should use in
my 2014 RAV.

1. The vanity lights
2. The back up lights.

When I have some details I will be able to try and find the equivalents here in NZ. The cost of postage and packing
from the U.S. is just horrendous!

G.O.M.

#17 ·
The eBay bulb item #370832745999 doesn NOT fit our vehicle--neither in the cargo not dome light. And it actually measures 31mm not 29mm, so the seller refunded my money. Just wanted to let people know so you don't order it.

In retrospect, if I had known the exact interior LED bulb requirements, it would have been better to order the bulbs individually instead of in a set. I have found much brighter bulbs sold that way and would like to have had them in the dome and cargo areas. Oh well--live and learn. ;-)

#18 ·
I'm using 31mm festoon 12 LED which is very bright for 2nd row dome and cargo light. Of course not perfect fit like 29mm. Just push in a little harder and they will stay connected. I don't know anyone makes 29mm festoon 12 LEDs. 31mm might be the only way to go.

#25 ·
Thanks for the links. Ordered. Received my light kit last night. Now, considering the lack of installation instructions, the adventure begins.

#27 ·
Update.

Okie dokie. My upholstery tools were in my mailbox when I got home, so I spend a little bit of time installing the lights. They are awesome! You will not regret getting them and installing really is not too difficult.

My guess of which lights went where are not correct. On the left package in the picture above, the two little lights in the middle are for the license plate. One of the two flat lights are for the dome light in the rear passenger compartment. You do not need the other one.

All the rest of the lights are the same. One for each of the two vanity mirrors, two in the dome light above the rear view mirror, one in the cargo area. That leaves three extra lights. I put two of them in place of the existing backup lights. That leaves one flat bulb and one of the bigger ones left over. (I put those two in my lady friend's Prius).

Of the two upholstery kits that bruceatk provided links for, I only needed the less expensive, four tool kit. Didn't use the larger kit for this application. Took me maybe a half hour or a bit more, but don't rush stuff like this. Tried a bulb in the rear running light socket and decided to not go that route at this time, (not sure it is the right bulb). It was a bear getting it back into, and locked, its socket. My hands are too big, I guess.

I'm next going to investigate LED bulbs for the rear running lights and turn signals as well as if the dealer option footwell lights are end-user installable.

#30 ·
Get a set of 'tools' that bruceatk provided a link for. The Autogoodie web site has a video showing the procedure.

#33 ·
I understand. I have a 2015 also. And like you, I was a bit scared of breaking something. If you are just careful and work your way around the edge, prying up one corner, then holding it with one hand while you pry up a little further along, eventually it will break free. It is scary. Just take your time and don't rush it. After you do one or two, you'll get a feel for how strongly they are attached.

Where are you located? If you are nearby, I'd be more than willing to help. It'll only take us a half hour, at most. Are you sticking with the red lights?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.