Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Let There be LIGHT!

63K views 161 replies 60 participants last post by  Brendan14 
#1 ·
I switched all interior lights on my 2015 Limited to LEDs. I really like the look and find the cargo light much brighter than stock. But it really focused my attention on the cargo light's lack of function. Every other car I've had with a cargo area had a light that turned on when the door was opened--even a sub $20k car. It is an annoyance to have to turn this light on and off.:frown

My question is: if someone forgets to turn it off, will it turn off automatically after a set time? Or will it stay on and run my battery down? If it does turn off after a time period, when attempting to turn it on later I suppose one would have to turn the switch off and then on again?

Thoughts?

#67 ·
Point of clarification for anyone who is ordering LED's for an interior swap. As mentioned but not stressed earlier in this post, 2016's have switched the cargo lamp to a mini-wedge, same bulb as the map lights. The only festoon bulb left is the main light above the 2nd row, a 3175 (31mm).
I confirmed this today by opening up all the lights and checking before I order individual led bulbs.
Also remember 2016 owners, the reverse lights are now down the the bumper, not the gate. Only the plate bulbs are serviceable being the center removable panel on the gate.

Reactions: Catnip
#69 ·
I think you got lucky, Quicktoo, as I am still waiting for AutoGoody to help me out. They took forever to respond to my Email, and while I finally received an Email responce, I still have not received any additional bulbs. Not only did I not get extras in the original order, I didn't get the minimum needed. Given we have seen from other people that they have had to contact AutoGoody for corrections, I would say buyer beware when choosing them. You might get what you need and you might not. From my personal experience, their customer service is awful, and despite what they say on their website and packaging, they don' t seem to want to make things right...it least not in any timely manner. Once I figure out the correct part number, I will try and get what I need from amazon prime...2 days and no hastles.

Attached is a picture of the cargo light. As you can see, you need to remove it from the opposite end of the switch (and not near the switch as the precision led video indicates), and you can clearly see the bulb needed to fit in there)

Attachments

#71 ·
I've ordered from AutoGoody twice for the 4.4 Rav4s, no problems, got extra bulbs both times, had all the right bulbs as well, have most of the bulbs to do the wife's Prius as well! But I've not had to contact them, so I can't comment on their non-response, I did receive the bulbs promptly( within a week) both times. I never watched the video, didn't have a problem with the install on the '15 Limited or '16 Hybrid cargo lamps, they're pretty simple to install, probably the hardest part is getting the mini wedge bulbs out of the socket, nitrile gloves work for me. I'm adding some chrome tape to the inside of the cargo lamp reflector to provide a bit more reflection from the back side of the 10 SMD wedge bulb.

#73 ·
AutoNOTSOGoody

Just wanted to give an update. Although I finally received an Email response from AutoGoody, it was lame and I never received the missing bulbs. I instead had to spend additional $ and ordered what I was missing from Amazon, and they were great.

The bottom line is that many people have purchased from AG and have been happy. BUT, there are some (and more than just 1 or 2) that have not received the appropriate stuff and had to work with their customer service. Given their shipping is very slow and at least in my experience this customer service is awful, I would recommend going with one of the many other options (PrecisionLED, EBay, Amazon, ...). If AG were the only game in town that would be one thing, but given that there are MANY competitors, why take the chance that you will be an unhappy customer like me?

I definitely like having upgraded the bulbs to LEDs -- makes a huge difference. I wish that I could turn on the dome light from the driver's controls -- I could do that with my old car and that is often useful.

Thanks to all for the good information contained in this thread!

#75 ·
i've purchased led bulbs on ebay. but when i switched to the "door" (middle) and i locked the door using my remote the light will dim but will still stay on.

but for the regular bulb there is no problem and when i locked using my remote the light will turn off.

maybe i just got a bad bulb??
any of you guys experience that?

#79 ·
Received my LED's from AG and they all worked great in my 2015 XLE. I didn't replace the license plate bulbs because when I run from the cops, I don't want them to be able to see my license plate as my heigh powered RAV leaves them in the dust. Really, that is the reason I didn't change them.

#80 ·
I placed an order with AutoGoody a few days ago. I opted to pay extra for expedited shipping. Despite what their website claims, however, the order has been stuck in "awaiting fullfillment" for a few days now.

I used their web contact form to attempt to contact them a couple days ago. No response yet.

So far, I'm not impressed with this company:

1. Their website FAQ claims that priority shipping is $5, but they actually charged $6 for it.

2. Their website FAQ implies that orders placed after 12PM ET will be shipped the next business day, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

3. Their website claims that they don't actually transact a charge until the order is packaged and ready for shipment. That is also untrue as I was fully charged immediately after placing the order.

4. Their website "contact" page claims that they are committed to providing excellent and fast customer service. However, as far as I can tell, there aren't any humans involved whatsoever. All I've seen so far is an automated website, an automated charge, and an automated response to their contact page.

My only good fortune is that I paid with paypal, so I can easily point out all these discrepancies to paypal and dispute the payment. (If Autogoody doesn't response to my queries and/or ship my order today, I will do that in the morning.)

#81 ·
I hate to say I told you so but ...

There customer service is awful and you will not likely hear from them in a timely manner. Please folks, beware! These are not just isolated incidents if you do your research. AG is just not special and there is just no need to take a chance with them. Many, many other options!

#82 ·
If anyone prefers "whiter" light as opposed to the slightly blue tint of the most common 6000k led's, here is what I used. The cold blue-ish tint of 6000k led's are hard for my eyes to focus on and I find their light to be more decorative then useful. I choose these 4000k versions. As seen in the one pic, 4000k, even though labeled "warm white" is MUCH whiter (colder) then the stock w5w on the right. Incandescent bulbs are usually in the 2700-2900k range (and the low wattage w5w likely near the lower end of that range)
These provided much brighter usable light to my eye without being blue.
They are not cheap however, I spent $44 total for the 3 boxes seen, and have 1 194 left as a spare. (I did not do the vanity lights and I have a '16 so the cargo is a 194). The price is well worth it though in my opinion.

Attachments

#88 · (Edited)
Cargo light ... We all know that the cargo area light on the RAV4 is weak. (It might help to know that most CUV's have the same problem.)

For the cargo area, unlike many other lights, it can only ever be on when the hatch is open. That only happens when the car is stopped, so it's okay for it to be BRIGHT back there. Unlike the map or dome lights, there's no concern about a passenger turning on the light while driving at night...

On the 2016, this light is a 194 bulb (wedge style, not a festoon.)

Replacing the incandescent with one of the 194 replacements from the autogoody kit helped, but it was still weak. LED's are directional, and only 2 of the LED's are facing the lense, and the rest are all pointing inside the wall of the car. Lining the inside of the mount with aluminum foil (to make a reflector) helped more, but it was still weaker than I wanted.

The space available directly on the clear cargo area light lense is approx 36mm x 26mm. I found the PERFECT panel on amazon that has 18 5050 LEDs and measures approx 34mm x 20mm. It's one of those that has adapters for t10 or festoon connectors.

This thing is extremely bright. 5050 LEDs are pretty bright to start with, and 18 of them on a panel is enough that you will see spots if you stare at it for more than a couple seconds.

After pulling the light out of the cargo area (disconnecting the assembly from the car harness), I popped the plastic cup-like thing off (which you have to do to get to the T10 connector anyway.) I put the panel directly against the lense, attached the adapter and plugged the T10 in. I then pushed the plastic cup-like thing back on and it holds the LED panel in place enough to push the assembly back into the car. Once the entire assembly is pushed back into the car, everything is held in place securely, and it works great.

(There's a picture of the 2016 assembly without that cup-like piece in this post: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/191482-let-there-light-7.html#post2042825)

This may work for pre-2016 cargo areas (as it has a festoon adapter), but I don't know if the panel would physically fit in the space on those cars. For the 2016, it's perfect.

Here's a link to the panel I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BY575NK

Edit: I went to take some photos of the panel and only then realized that I was sent the wrong LED panel. Instead of an 18 LED panel, I have a 15 LED panel. Even still, it's plenty bright...

I'm attaching two photos. One shows the panel through the lense while its mounted in the car. The other tries to show how it's sandwiched between the lense and that plastic cup-like thing...

Attachments

#93 · (Edited)
Cargo light ... We all know that the cargo area light on the RAV4 is weak. (It might help to know that most CUV's have the same problem.)

For the cargo area, unlike many other lights, it can only ever be on when the hatch is open. That only happens when the car is stopped, so it's okay for it to be BRIGHT back there. Unlike the map or dome lights, there's no concern about a passenger turning on the light while driving at night...

On the 2016, this light is a 194 bulb (wedge style, not a festoon.)

Replacing the incandescent with one of the 194 replacements from the autogoody kit helped, but it was still weak. LED's are directional, and only 2 of the LED's are facing the lense, and the rest are all pointing inside the wall of the car. Lining the inside of the mount with aluminum foil (to make a reflector) helped more, but it was still weaker than I wanted.

The space available directly on the clear cargo area light lense is approx 36mm x 26mm. I found the PERFECT panel on amazon that has 18 5050 LEDs and measures approx 34mm x 20mm. It's one of those that has adapters for t10 or festoon connectors.

This thing is extremely bright. 5050 LEDs are pretty bright to start with, and 18 of them on a panel is enough that you will see spots if you stare at it for more than a couple seconds.

After pulling the light out of the cargo area (disconnecting the assembly from the car harness), I popped the plastic cup-like thing off (which you have to do to get to the T10 connector anyway.) I put the panel directly against the lense, attached the adapter and plugged the T10 in. I then pushed the plastic cup-like thing back on and it holds the LED panel in place enough to push the assembly back into the car. Once the entire assembly is pushed back into the car, everything is held in place securely, and it works great.

(There's a picture of the 2016 assembly without that cup-like piece in this post: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/191482-let-there-light-7.html#post2042825)

This may work for pre-2016 cargo areas (as it has a festoon adapter), but I don't know if the panel would physically fit in the space on those cars. For the 2016, it's perfect.

Here's a link to the panel I ordered: Amazon.com: uxcell Vehicle White 18 LED Panel 5050 SMD Dome Light + T10 BA9S Festoon Adapter: Automotive

Edit: I went to take some photos of the panel and only then realized that I was sent the wrong LED panel. Instead of an 18 LED panel, I have a 15 LED panel. Even still, it's plenty bright...

I'm attaching two photos. One shows the panel through the lense while its mounted in the car. The other tries to show how it's sandwiched between the lense and that plastic cup-like thing...
I ordered the same "18 LED" panel from Amazon using the link supplied by garyd9. And I received a 15 LED panel instead just as garyd9 did.

The panel was a perfect fit for the cargo area light and is very bright. I just wedged the panel flush against the clear lens cover and folded the wires and adapter connector on top of the panel. The plastic reflector cup snapped back in and made a snug fit. What a difference! The cargo area is now nicely lit at night. Great suggestion by garyd9. Highly recommended.

#92 ·
I replaced all my interior lights with Philips Extreme Vision 4000K LED. I took the recommendation of a poster and the color is nice as it isn't too blue. Here is a great guide to help replace them as you have to make sure to take them out a certain way to not damage them.

Toyota RAV4 Vanity Mirror Light Bulb Replacement Guide - 2013 To 2016 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions

He has some great how to also:

Toyota RAV4 Common Problems, DIY Repair Guides & Vehicle Maintenance Instructions - 2013 To 2016 Model Years

#104 ·
I replaced all my interior lights with Philips Extreme Vision 4000K LED. I took the recommendation of a poster and the color is nice as it isn't too blue. Here is a great guide to help replace them as you have to make sure to take them out a certain way to not damage them.

Toyota RAV4 Vanity Mirror Light Bulb Replacement Guide - 2013 To 2016 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions

He has some great how to also:

Toyota RAV4 Common Problems, DIY Repair Guides & Vehicle Maintenance Instructions - 2013 To 2016 Model Years
Were these the ones you got? And do they work on both the vanity AND center interior lights?

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Xtre...1-1&keywords=Philips+Extreme+Vision+4000K+LED

#94 ·
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to remove the 2 front map light lens on the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited. I tried prying around the edges but I don't want to force it. Can anyone offer some advice?

#97 ·
That's what I thought, prying on the left and right sides towards the hinged front of each lens. But exerting a moderate amount of force didn't do anything. Perhaps I need to kick it up a notch?

#101 ·
Just received the 18 LED panel that was linked by garyd9. Mine actually was 18 LEDs. The problem was that it is 42 mm long, and won't fit flat against the clear panel. I was able to get it to fit by leaving off the plastic cover that normally covers the rear of the lamp assembly, and placing the panel at an angle. We'll see how this holds up.

#109 · (Edited)
Can't recommend the 18 chip LED. There is no way to fit the LED parallel with the lens. It doesn't look right. Our Rav 4 has a 194/T10 bulb in the cargo light instead of the festoon. A better solution in this case will be a high power T10. Knowing this, it is worth checking your bulb type before ordering a bulb or chip.

#115 ·
I could, but that would be a project and would take a tripod and a remote shutter release.

Both LEDs give plenty of light back there. The round ones I used have 24 LEDs and the rectangles that didn't fit have 18. It's not just the brightness, but the light looks appropriate and OE. Would have been nice if it was switched with the door opening on the Limited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.