Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2013 Rav4 Radio/Backup Camera Question

12K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  czgu 
#1 ·
I wanted to find out if I could get an aftermarket Navigation/multimedia product for my truck. If I do will it mess up my backup camera. Please assist. I looked at some kenwood products.

#6 · (Edited)
I take back what I said. The radio does indeed supply power to the camera.

I just installed an aftermarket stereo over the weekend and was able to retain the factory backup camera.

On the white 24pin plug pins 12 & 24 are the video feed and pins 11 & 23 are camera power. The factory radio supplies 6Vdc to it. What I did is wired up a UTC7805 (5 Volt regulator - which can be found for under $.
0.50) spliced into the radio's 12V Accessory power to then provide 5V to the the camera power line and spliced a spare RCA cable I had to the video line.

It worked beautifully and even retained the guide lines.

#7 ·
You have to be careful with the 7805 since it is rated for 2 volt dropout voltage (2 Volt minimum voltage drop from input to output). Operating from 6V only allows for 1 Volt drop, which may cause stability and regulation problems. There are low drop out voltage versions available.

#8 · (Edited)
Correct. However, there is no 6V source behind the radio. The radio itself sources the 6V. What I did is the the radio's Accessory wire which is a 12V source, well above the 2V drop out.

I edited my previous post for clarity. Sorry about that.

#9 ·
i found this on youtube, this might help you decide what kenwood model you are lookin for.

https://youtu.be/B66_q4BdKBQ

i dont know about the installation, but the original back of the radio & display receiver assembly looks like this: theres one connector U6 thats dedicated to the television/camera assembly which has male 16pins (back of the assembly). the kenwood model your going to have should have that connection or that something alike to keep
the functionality of your parkview camera.

Attachments

#10 ·
i found this on youtube, this might help you decide what kenwood model you are lookin for.

https://youtu.be/B66_q4BdKBQ

i dont know about the installation, but the original back of the radio & display receiver assembly looks like this: theres one connector U6 thats dedicated to the television/camera assembly which has male 16pins (back of the assembly). the kenwood model your going to have should have that connection or that something alike to keep
the functionality of your parkview camera.
Be careful. Just because they look the same or fit the same, doesn't mean they're pinned out the same.

#11 ·
well, generally speaking, we always check the compatibility first. right? :)

#12 ·
If using aftermarket head unit, you have two choices. 1. Buy an aftermarket head unit with adapters. So you can plug in the original 25pin backup camera connector. 2. Buy an aftermarket rear view camera. Most aftermarket rear view camera requires 12V. You can connect it to reverse +12V. If you need to install parking sensors, aftermarket camera will make installation easier.

#19 ·
nrsource19, have you used the crux brand? if so what model year rav4 and trim level? I was thinking Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter.
Unless your steering wheel does NOT have bluetooth control, do NOT use the Axxess ASWC-1. Audio controls on the left side of the steering wheel are retained however, the bluetooth buttons were not "seen" by the module. After a few attempts of reprogramming and reflashing the unit, I contacted tech support and it turns out that the bluetooth control is not able to be seen by the Axxess module. I swapped it out for a PAC-Audio SWI-X and it works perfectly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.