Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

OBDII plus Carista work )

13K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Quickdtoo 
#1 · (Edited)
Main purpose, get rid of seat belt reminder buzzer.

2015 rav4 xle with Entune™ Audio Plus (which comes stardard on xle)

I just recently bought the rav4, which im loving the suv but ive had some minor complaints about certain features. Mind you im coming from a 2004 chevy Silverado with work package , so I got a lot of extras I didn't have.

1. when you step into and drive off you get the annoying SEAT BELT REMINDER BUZZER going off , both driver and passenger side. On page 693 of our manual the option is under column 2. according to Toyota technical support guy I had on phone he said it can only be changed at the dealership. He suggested that when I went in for my first oil change ask service if they could change it using their techstream computer. Hopefully they wouldn't charge me.)

New 2015 rav4 owners don't be confused because there are a ton of other posts on 4.4 and 4.3 forums and youtube videos showing you how to change the option on your own using odm and trip meter guidelines. These do not work on the 2015.

Why did I want to change these settings? First the seat belt buzzer was annoying. 2nd I wanted to be able to change every possible setting that I could that was not listed on the radio. On the radio it allows you to change door locks, interior lighting etc but not turn off seat belt buzzer which was only on ecu computer. 3rd I plan on taking out the factory radio and replacing with another head unit , adding speakers, amp, subwoofer, etc. the OBII plus carista allows me to change minor and major features without the factory radio at anytime after I install a new radio.

Confirmed that works for 2015 rav4 xle

BAFX PRODUCTS
OBDII Bluetooth adapter for android
BAFX Products - Making The World Easier
its available on amazon but didn't list since link my change in future.

Carista on android google play store
Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization | brew your own car
when you go to their website it lists alternate OBDII adapters you can buy under hardware tab, I had to buy the BAFX because the carista obdii adaptor was sold out.

apple versions available but didn't test

More on what I did.
Plug in obdii adapter turn ignition to on position connect Bluetooth with lg g3 phone selected CUSTOMIZE tab waited around 2min for it to communicate scrolled down the various options. Turned off both driver and passenger seat belt buzzer, clicked option to save was asked to pay 19.99 from google store, accepted, it saved the setting.(had to accept legal waivers saying carista not liable) Turned off car unplugged obdii adaptor. Asked wife to come seat in passenger seat to test.

The test-- crank car , driver and passenger without seat belts on, I get a short starting buzzer reminding me to put on seatbelt.(not annoying, around 6 seconds)(guess its required by usa law to have this). drive off around block around 30mph no buzzing reminder at all, only the instrument panel seat belt icon blinking 10 or 15 times but then goes to solid seat belt icon.

disclaimer, yes I always and all passengers were seatbelts, im not going get in a discussion about why I wanted this done.

I hope carista app will give us more features we can change on the ecu in future but I don't know if its possible or can even be done. does the ecu from Toyota determine this?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like the makers of Carista hold you hostage until you fork over the 20 bucks! I wish you were near me, I could have done that and a whole lot more for free using my 10 year old laptop and Techstream!

#3 ·
Yah, not to long of a trip from Tuscaloosa, Alabama. ) On the cost the adapter 23.99 +19.99 for the pro version of carista = 44 bucks so not that bad for me. From what ive read you can get the techstream software free when you purchase the special cable for 30.99. But read on Tacoma forums they tell you not to upgrade the firmware of the cable on the techstream program and also a lot of confusing none detailed answers.

What im really curiously seeking is a detailed list of anything extra I can unlock or add to the ecu of the 2015 model only

1. Can I hold unlock key down and have all windows open? (was able to do this with carista with wifes 2015 camry se, but I haven't spent the time yet looking though the camry manual to see if that turn on option was listed anyways)

2. Can you press unlock on remote and have all outside lights stay on until you enter car (maybe dreaming, this aint a bmw)

#4 ·
Tuscaloosa, eh? I was thinking closer to Leeds. Been through that area more times than I can count. I've never had the chance to plug my Techstream into a 4.4 RAV. I did plug it into a 2009 Camry, didn't see any unusual options. Funny, I can hold down the unlock button on my 19-year old Maxima and roll the windows down, but not my RAV4.

#5 ·
Wow, this has potential.

I have a 2013 RAV4 and I want to decouple the recirculate from the A/C. It comes on by default most of the time and I would rather is be off by default. Can you see if that's an option?

My other half just got a 2015 Camry. It would be nice to adjust setting on it as well.

#7 ·
For 2015 rav4 XLE Entune™ Audio Plus with no options on vehicle

Doors / Windows / Remote:

Blink turn signals when locking/unlocking with remote
*YES* / NO

Beep when locking/unlocking with remote
*YES* / NO

Volume of beep when locking/unocking with remote
OFF / 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / *MAX*

Warn when door can't be locked with remote because it's open
*YES* / NO

Warn when sunroof is still open when locking doors
*YES* / NO

Panic function on remote
*ENABLED* / DISABLED

Re-lock doors automatically if you unlock, but don't open a door
*YES* / NO

Re-lock doors automatically if you unlock, but don't open a door within?
30 SECONDS / *60 SECONDS* / 120 SECONDS

Unlock doors via remote
DRIVER'S DOOR ON 1ST PRESS, ALL ON 2ND / *ALL DOORS ON 1ST PRESS*

Unlock doors via physical key
*DRIVER'S DOOR ON 1ST PRESS, ALL ON 2ND* / ALL DOORS ON 1ST PRESS

Lock doors when shifting into gear
*ON* / OFF

Unlock doors when shifting into park (P)
*ON* / OFF

Unlock all doors when driver's door is opened
ON / *OFF*

Instruments / Display / Dings:

Display units
KM/L / KM/L (JP) / KM/G / *MPG (US)* / MPG (UK)

Display odometer after ignition is turned off for?
*30 SECONDS* / 1 MINUTE / 10 MINUTES / OFF

Key-in-ignition ding sound
*SLOW* / MEDIUM / FAST

Ding when headlights are left on
*YES* / NO

Seat belt warning ding (driver)
ENABLED / *DISABLED*

Seat belt warning ding (front passenger)
ENABLED / *DISABLED*

Lane-change turn signal auto-flasher count
OFF / *3 FLASHES* / 5 FLASHES / 7 FLASHES

ECO Drive indicator zone
ON / *OFF*

Lights:

Daytime running lights
*ON* / OFF

Coming-home lights duration
OFF / *30 SECONDS* / 60 SECONDS / 90 SECONDS

Dim interior lights after?
7 SECONDS / *15 SECONDS* / 30 SECONDS

Turn on interior lights when you shut off engine
*YES* / NO

Turn on interior lights when you unlock doors
*YES* / NO

Heater & A/C:

Temperature dial calibration
-2°C / -1°C / *NORMAL* / +1°C / +2°C

A/C evaporator control
*AUTOMATIC* / MANUAL

A/C ECO mode
*ENABLED* / DISABLED

Auto-increase blower speed when front defroster is on
*YES* / NO

Auto-turn on A/C when AUTO button pressed (if needed)
*YES* / NO

Deactivate front defroster when AUTO button pressed
*YES* / NO

A/C blower speed at start-up
*OFF* / LEVEL 1

Fan speed reaches its target?
SLOWLY / *NORMALLY* / FAST

* * = indicates what the setting is currently set at. Not how it is set at the factory

#9 ·
Carista is wonderful.
However, just to turn the seat belt buzzer off one can use a 6" seat belt extension ($10 on Amazon).
Works great for me. Additional note - the light on the dash is off, too.
Easy to "undo" - just take the extension out :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.