Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Annoying rattling coming from passanger seat

9K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  cosmos 
#1 ·
3 months ago I bought a 2013 Toyota Rav 4. recently there is an annoying rattling coming from the passenger seat. It is obvious that it is coming from inside the seat it self. There must be a brace or something inside that has came loose. any ideas on how to fix it? The seat does not come apart easily. The vehicle is currently under warranty But not for much longer. Although I may be wrong but I do not thing the passenger seat would be covered under warranty. I would be grateful for any help.

#2 ·
If the RAV has less than 36,000 miles on it and is less than 3 years old, the seat is under warranty. At 20,000 miles, my driver's seat made a creaking sound when going around corners. The dealership replaced the entire seat frame for free under warranty.

#6 · (Edited)
Jest, it's not a dumb question at all. Most people simply don't have the time and/or had enough bad experiences with incapable/careless dealerships to bring our vehicles in to them unless we have no other choices. Your RAV4 being a 2014 model (yes?) should most definitely still under bumper to bumper warranty. Per your description of the "click", could be simply something dangling under the seat; personally, I would stick my hand under and around the seat to see if I can locate the cause before taking it to your dealership. The last thing you or anyone needs is to bring our vehicles in as a lab rat and only to learn from them that they cannot see anything wrong or the noise is "normal"... and I sure hate to mention what could be the worst but let me just say that there is another thread with member's car paint got pretty messed-up and had to be repainted. Best wish, sincerely.

#7 ·
Hi all,

I have the exact same issue with my 2013 RAV4, the driver seat moves back and forth when braking or accelerating, it also moves around the corners, the car has been inspected by the dealership and they admitted that the seat is moving but they claimed that the movement is within Toyota permissible limits and refused to fix it under the warranty. This could be a safety issue, but sadly it seams that Toyota doesn't care!!!

#8 ·
i got back my rav from the dealership this morning after a day of their technician trying to find out the clicking sound in the driver seat. Service advisor told me they did everything but can't find the fault. insisted of claiming it through warranty but was shrug of saying its not that easy because its not safety issue. then i brought up that i was never claiming for safety fault but of quality and warranty. at that point i wanted to raise my voice at the SA but i thought its not his fault and whatever answer he's giving me is what they are thought by the dealership's management. the way they handle my case is so upsetting. already wasted too much of my time and money and still they want me to bring back the car the following week for further testing. and to make matters even upsetting, they called a so called corporate rep to inspect my case. and their answer, "bring back the car next week for further testing". im not blaming toyota or even hating my rav. its the ELMORE TOYOTA dealership that i'm very much regretting why i went there to get my car. this issue has been bugging and irritating me for the past 2 yrs. and still no solid resolution on the dealership's end. any website where we can get good information regarding dealership reviews? satisfaction rating?

#14 ·
Jest, have you resolved the issue? I am having the same problem for my rav4, which I brought to the dealer but they can't replicate the clicking noise. Someone posted a video on Youtube and mine sounds just like that. Please let me know how it went with the dealer afterwards or if you have found a solution.

#10 ·
Jest, let me take a guess that your RAV4 has a power adjust driver seat? If yes, check two things:
1. The forward/backward track and the spiral mechanism/gears (try lubracate and see if that change the feel/sound (characteristic) of the "click"
2. The mounting screws for the seat (bottom cushion) to the frame/track
My wife mostly drives our RAV4, but, I recall that one time when drove it I felt (yes, felt it but not really heard) a very faint "click" as I accelerate; being its faint I didn't bother to find the cause but only sprayed some white lethium grease on to the power adjust forward/backward spiral mechanism, so far I have not yet experienced the "click" again. I am still a little bothered by that since I don't really know if the problem was needing lubracation or because we moved the driver seat position (out of a bad/loose spot).
Good Luck in locating yours soon.

#12 ·
Toyota interior quality is suffering. Also, their service at some dealerships is going downhill.

My son called a local dealership here in middle TN twice and left a message with NO return call. He's trying to get a very serious recall fixed.

Next, I called the dealership, left a message with a service agent... again, no return call.

Finally, I left a message with the service manager and my call was returned several hours later.

These people are either extremely busy OR making a ton a money AND/OR just don't give a rats as*. My experience has been service varies widely depending on the dealership. It starts from the top and works it's way down.

Check out this dash rattle... love, me:

#13 ·
Hello Styles- I would like t offer a possible solution. I have a 2013 XLE w/ roughly 82000 miles on it. Right after delivery I noticed annoying squeak / rubbing noise coming from dash - radio area. As a hopeful solution, I took some spray on vinyl conditioner, and saturated some paper towel with it. Then folded so as to make a tight crease, and kind of rubbed it into all surfaces that meet w / other vinyl surfaces in and around the radio. 3 yrs. and 82000+ miles later, and have never heard another noise from dash. This would be an easy 1st step, rather than having dealership experiment on your car. As a side note, I just picked up a new 2016 XLE, and am happy to say, it is noticeably quieter ride, hood doesn't shake, dash area is silent. Give it a shot.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.