Gentex 453: Auto Dimming mirror with Homelink & Compass - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well my mirror showed up today, $55.00 delivered off EBAY a Gentex GNTX536..... no compass, no thermometer, self dimming, and the garage door opener capability.

It had some sort of a home made harness on it, no big deal as there was going to be spicing involved.... it is not "plug and play", but it wasn't sold as or represented to be PNP.

After seeing other threads on how to remove the light cluster / sunroof controls and sun glass holder, I used a nylon trim tool to get an edge down then gave it a good tug to get the 4 nylon clips to pull from the mounting points. I used just enough persuasion with the trim tool to get it pulled down enough to get a grip on it.... force it and you are going to crush the headliner.

Next out came the Torx20 and the OEM mirror was removed, followed by the new mirror harness being fed into the cavity where the light module sits, and finally the new mirror was slid onto the mount and the screw tightened. I did not need the wire cover that came with the kit as the wire was obscured by the mirror, the glass had a black out mask, and I don't think it was going to fit anyway. The wires were wrapped in black mesh so they were invisible for all intents and purposes.

I cut the wires from the kit back as I was not going down the "A" pillar to find power.

I used one of the 2 6mm bolts (10mm heads) that were up in the space and a ring lug to establish the ground, I located switched power on the sunroof harness and tapped that for the dimming feature of the mirror, and then I went to the map light harness and found a white wire with a blue tracer that was switched power, and used that for the homelink power.

Damn they are making the connectors smaller and smaller, and the wires thinner and thinner. I had to use a sewing needle in the alligator clip of my meter to probe the connectors, the connectors are that small!

All in all it took 20 minutes to get this done, and 10 of that was ringing out the harness to find the power supply points.

I got one of my openers programmed, the second has a rolling code and needs additional steps to program, and that would have required me to slide my fat arse into my wifes Boxster to move it out of the way...... I can wait til she takes it to work some day to finish the programming no big deal.

It will be a while before I can report on the dimming feature as the car has not been registered yet, my 20 day tag has expired, and I am heading down to Florida for few days.... I will register the car when I get back, maybe, assuming we don't go from winter right into bike season.... NH weather is funny like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to neggy For This Useful Post:
JuneBug (03-26-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 07:26 AM

My RAV came with just a plain mirror, no auto dimming or anything. Even though I think the brochure said for 2016 that the SE had a compass mirror, it does not. Is there a way to add the upgraded mirror without changing wiring? Is the car pre-wired for the mirror? I don't want to hack up wiring in a brand new car haha. Is this something the dealer could install?

Thanks,
Dave
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 08:22 AM

Garage
Actually very easy. Only hack is to connect 3 wires from sunroof controller to the homelink wires from mirror. I ordered and got my homelink mirror (from dave mentioned in these forums) and planning to do this later today

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 08:32 AM

I talked to the dealership this week, the auto dim/homelink/compass mirror only came on the tech pack car I guess. The mirror has a camera in it for Toyota Safety Sense, with a MSRP of something like $1024 haha. They found a Highlander mirror that would work, but since it is not a RAV4 part, the work wouldn't be warrantied, and whatever wiring they tapped into would be warranty void. I decided to forgo the mod for now, can't be messing with warranty on a 2 week old car haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjofil View Post
Actually very easy. Only hack is to connect 3 wires from sunroof controller to the homelink wires from mirror. I ordered and got my homelink mirror (from dave mentioned in these forums) and planning to do this later today
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 11:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by webby092 View Post
They found a Highlander mirror that would work, but since it is not a RAV4 part, the work wouldn't be warrantied, and whatever wiring they tapped into would be warranty void.
My 2015 XLE came with a standard mirror and I added one with homelink, compass and self dimming by tapping into the wires for the sun roof. Everything worked great and I don't think I did anything to cause future problems. If there is a problem, Toyota needs to prove that my work caused the problem before they can say that it is not under warranty. I think it is well worth the risk.

TT

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 11:42 AM

I will end up doing it, just not right now. Never had a car with a full warranty, don't want to lose it haha. My wife's Escape that we traded in was a problematic POS, right now I revel in the fact that if something breaks, I don't have to worry lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTTNWA View Post
My 2015 XLE came with a standard mirror and I added one with homelink, compass and self dimming by tapping into the wires for the sun roof. Everything worked great and I don't think I did anything to cause future problems. If there is a problem, Toyota needs to prove that my work caused the problem before they can say that it is not under warranty. I think it is well worth the risk.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neggy View Post
too bad Toyota didn't have the harness used on the Limited in the other models.

The Limited has the homelink mirror factory installed. Would be nice to just find a LKQ mirror with the correct plug and put it in.
Are you sure the Limited has a Homelink? I test drove one last weekend and it didn't. I asked 2 different dealers and they said all RAV4s don't have it even the Limited.

Last edited by Cares; 04-24-2016 at 01:35 PM.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the write up! Just ordered a gentex auto-dim mirror on ebay for $40 shipped - no need for the compass or homelink. Hopefully i'll be able to install this weekend on my 2014 XLE.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 10:56 AM

Garage
Gentex Auto Dimming mirror

Which is the mirror your purchased on Ebay. Do share your link. Also make sure it comes with the harness and cables.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 12:16 PM

I just got and installed this ... taped the key on hot in the sunroof for both homelink and autodimming.

eBay item number:262307548381
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Chris
2016 RAV4 XLE FWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page