Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Gentex 45am Autodim mirror w/Homelink

19K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  BoothT 
#1 ·
So we bought my wife's '15 Rav4 Limited in November last year and didn't even realize until we got home that it didn't have Homelink in the mirror. Her 2008 Prius had it and my new '16 Tundra has it. Very surprising since her's is the limited model. Anyway, I bought her the Gentex mirror on Amazon for Christmas and finally got around to trying to install it today. Removing the old mirror (w/auto dimming) was very easy and the wire harness for the new mirror is the same plug. Unfortunately the car only supplies power to the auto dim feature to the new mirror when the car is on, and the Homelink doesn't receive power at all whether the car is on or off. Very disappointing that the existing harness doesn't have power for both since it's an available option from Toyota. In looking at the new mirror's plug, there are four wires. I assume two are for switched 12v when the car's on to power the auto dimming feature and compass and the other two wires are for constant 12v power for the Homelink. Instead of ripping apart the A pillar and roof, I think I might just jump the two wires over to power the Homelink so at least when the car's on both will work. I don't think it matters too much that the Homelink won't work unless the car's on and is more of a security feature since you can't open the car garage unless you have the car keys. My only concern with that is if the Homelink will save the door opener code if the mirror doesn't receive constant 12v and if there's a battery inside the mirror.

Anyone have any experience with this?

See less See more
#2 ·
I did that with a homelink mirror on another car works fine. Remembers all codes.

Another idea is to tap into a 12v constant line that is under the light console above the rear view mirror and is located in the sun roof harness. I believe it is a blue wire on the sun roof motor connector.

Do a search on homelink installs another member was kind enough to post a photo of the harness and labeled all the lines.

#3 ·
I did an aftermarket install of the Gentex mirror from not having an auto dimming mirror at all. There should only be three -- positive for the auto-dim + compass, positive for the HomeLink, and negative (ground) for both. If there is a fourth, it may be for a temperature probe.

I have my mirror installed in such a way that the HomeLink only functions when the car is on (connected to the moonroof power supply -- look for the black (positive) and black/white (negative/ground) to tap to -- you should be able to tap into your existing harness) and it functions flawlessly. I read somewhere that the mirror can retain memory of compass calibration and HomeLink programming for up to 4 months without receiving power before it loses it.

#4 ·
We have just purchased a 14 Limited and I bought the Homelink mirror from the dealer and was going to install it myself. From the old harness, there are only two wires,blue and the ground but am confused about which black I should tap into with the new one, as I see two black in the harness to the moonroof and a couple others wrapped up in the other wiring under the headliner.

I have searched and cannot seem to find any detailed pics (none of the pics from others seem to match what I am seeing in my headliner?) or the instructions from Gentex.

Anyone have a suggestion how I can verify the correct black positive?

Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
We have just purchased a 14 Limited and I bought the Homelink mirror from the dealer and was going to install it myself. From the old harness, there are only two wires,blue and the ground but am confused about which black I should tap into with the new one, as I see two black in the harness to the moonroof and a couple others wrapped up in the other wiring under the headliner.

I have searched and cannot seem to find any detailed pics (none of the pics from others seem to match what I am seeing in my headliner?) or the instructions from Gentex.

When I was researching this mod on my 2015XLE I used the attached image to get power, ground, and switched power from the sunroof harness.

I then purchased this mirror:

New Gentex Homelink Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror with Wire Cover | eBay

Used this wiring diagram to locate my connections for the mirror:

Finally purchased this harness and which plugs into the mirror and ran this harness into the headliner and tapped in the sunroof harness.

10 Pin Gentex GNTX 536 Homelink Compass Homelink Mirror Wiring Kit New | eBay

This was my install, but i did read that the person who sells the wiring harness can make a custom harness for the mirror you bought from toyota that might make your install easier if your vehicle came pre-wired for a home link mirror.

Hope this helps

Attachments

#7 ·
The mirror will work fine for a limited you will have to adjust the harness if it is pre wired for a powered rearview mirror. My XLE lacked this prewiring and i tapped into the sun roof harness for my power needs.

The 536 mirror has a plug connection right on the mirror bracket that is wired for i believe a kia. I think the rav4 limited comes prewired for a self dimming mirror and has a different style plug connector. To use the 536 mirror a custom harness would need to be fabricated with a plug on one end for the 536 and plug on the other end for the toyota pre wired harness. This would allow the install to be plug and play. Certainly would be very easy to tap into the harness using the wiring harness listed in my previous post.

In regards to the cost difference in mirrors, i think they are overstock oem. You just get the mirror which is new and you have to buy the harness and figure out the wiring. I purchased two of them put one in rav4 and the other in my corvette. The mirrors come prewired to accommodate dimming of side view mirrors and to prevent dimming while in reverse. I just wired the mirrors to use homelink and auto dimming which has been great in both cars.

I hope this answers your questions!

#9 · (Edited)
Man, wiring is not my forte...

Tried again last night to get the wiring to work and no go with the harness supplied with the mirror.

This is how i have it:
The old mirror's harness had only a blue wire and the black and white ground.
THe new harness has the black and white ground with connectors already attached and another with a connector and a has a blue marking on it, which I am assuming is the blue wire's match.
The lone black is what I am lost with, as I am not sure where it should tap into. None of the pictures i have seen on line match what seems to be in the headliner of our Limited. I attached it with the blue to see if that would work, as i read that the blue and black could be together and would only allow the Homelink to work if the vehicle is turned on? But, still no power.

Here are photos I took last night:
1) Sunroof harness...should I be tapping into one of those black for the power?
2) The new wiring to the old mirror's wiring....doing something wrong there
3) the harness for the dome light. I read in another thread that someone tapped into that for power instead?
4) Model number of the mirror. GNTX-587

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Okay in looking at picture #1 It looks like you are working with the sunroof switch harness, not the sunroof motor harness which I used. Sits above the switch near the roof. Look for the same harness that I showed a picture of in my previous post.

The second thing I would do is verify the functions of your original rear view mirror harness. I am not too familiar with the limited options, but I believe it just controls an auto dimming function? Only has switched + and negative.

So now with a multi meter its time to check voltages and figure what this harness does. In checking other threads the blue wire is a positive + and is only live when the ignition is in the run position. The white/black is negative.

Now for the new mirror to work we need to connect the switched+ wire and constant + wire to the blue wire of the old harness. Then the negative/ground wire to white/black of the old harness.

This configuration will allow both the auto dimming and homelink to only work when the car is switched to run or while the engine is running. This how I set mine up a little more safe for high crime areas, prevents somebody breaking a window and opening your garage.

Certainly you can tap the blue wire in the sunroof motor connector for a constant + for the homelink to work all the time.

Hope you get it figured out!

#10 ·
When I installed my Gentex mirror in my XLE I used the moon roof wires for power. I only have the compass feature on my mirror.

If you have a VOM meter I would use it to verify if you have power on any of the wires you have connected.

Also, a good ground is important and key to operation of your mirror.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 ·
There are pix of the installation somewhere in this forum...I can't remember where. I used them to help me with my install last year.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
I have admitted defeat to the Wiring god. Couldn't get it to work still after tapping into the black wire to the sunroof motor (instead of the harness to the sunroof switch) and was going to take it to the dealer to install but they said the 2014 cannot be wired for the homelink mirror and will void the warranty because the wiring is different gauge and will have different resistance....and they will not touch it now since they didn't get to it first...which contradicts the statement it cannot be wired for the mirror in the first place...

My wife talked to them today about it because they originally told her that the 2014 limited could not have the mirror installed but when I called, i was able to order it and confirmed ti with the parts guy when i picked it up.

ANyways, I am getting my electrician brother in law to help me to see where i went wrong or if the mirror is defective.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

#16 ·
BoothT

Well, it appears that somewhere along the line the 536 mirror has become a cross between a paperweight and a boat anchor. When I finally gave up and pulled the mirror back out of our 2013 Rav4 and hooked it to a verifiable 12V source, it only works on the 'switched' power feed and then automatically goes to full dim, regardless of the position of the sensor on the back (forward facing surface) of the mirror. There does not appear to be a 'hidden' window for a compass. I have no idea whether any of the Homelink buttons work. What should I do? Back to square one with a mirror that doesn't appear to be part of a fire sale as this one was? I have no idea what it was originally intended for. Somewhere on this forum, Kia was mentioned. I am not sure enough of my own work to criticize the vendor and the wiring harness in the Rav4 uses such a small guage of wiring I went to Posi-Tap connectors. I'm not particularly confident that they are working correctly either.:frown

#17 ·
Well, it appears that somewhere along the line the 536 mirror has become a cross between a paperweight and a boat anchor. When I finally gave up and pulled the mirror back out of our 2013 Rav4 and hooked it to a verifiable 12V source, it only works on the 'switched' power feed and then automatically goes to full dim, regardless of the position of the sensor on the back (forward facing surface) of the mirror. There does not appear to be a 'hidden' window for a compass. I have no idea whether any of the Homelink buttons work. What should I do? Back to square one with a mirror that doesn't appear to be part of a fire sale as this one was? I have no idea what it was originally intended for. Somewhere on this forum, Kia was mentioned. I am not sure enough of my own work to criticize the vendor and the wiring harness in the Rav4 uses such a small guage of wiring I went to Posi-Tap connectors. I'm not particularly confident that they are working correctly either.:frown

Okay it sounds like you have made some progress. I think you are doing better than you think. The dimming is a good sign in switched mode. The reason for the constant 12 volt is only for homelink to work when the car is off, the mirror won't show any other signs of life. To test the homelink function just press any of the buttons with a house on it. The led should flash red while holding the button.

While in the switched 12 volt mode the mirror should have a green led light on. This light should go on and off via the power button.

I don't think the model mirror you have supports a compass feature.

To splice the small diameter wires, i used telephone wire button type connectors. They have a gel inside them and are clamped down with a pair of pliers. I think home depot sells them.

If you can tell me what color all the wires are coming off the mirror, i might be able to trouble shoot your issues. Please also verify the model number again.

#21 · (Edited)
OK, here it is: (Thanks, cmontel for your perseverance, btw.) It now appears that there are, in fact two versions (at least) of a model 536 Gentex auto-dim mirror. One has and one hasn't a hidden compass feature. I have located on various forums and on eBay photos of each variety. I am now in the process of getting one which has the hidden compass feature. I'm also hoping to find the vendor for the first one in a sympathetic mood when I ask if I can return it for at least a partial refund, as his current advertised price is less than when I purchased mine. Thanks again.

Without: https://www.google.com/search?q=gen...hVL6CYKHcAvBOgQ_AUICSgE#imgrc=4fqae38PWdlcVM:

With:https://www.google.com/search?q=gen...hVL6CYKHcAvBOgQ_AUICSgE#imgrc=RIQbmHDUtEiagM:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.