Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Power Liftgate Strut Squeaking

35K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Tomto 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Rav4 Limited with Technology package. When I open my power lift gate the driver's side strut squeaks. Is there a way to disassemble and/or lube the strut?

#6 ·
Thank for the tips everyone. Unfortunately, my Rav is out of warranty and I didn't want to spend the $500 to replace the strut. I figured out it is possible to remove the plastic trim ring from around the where the two halves of the strut connect (pic attached) the arrows indicate where the tabs align with the corresponding holes in the receiving piece. I gave a half second shot of some dry lube down the tube and it has eliminated the squeaking so far. I live in a humid climate, so I imagine the humidity will take its toll again in the future.

I think this is what the design of the strut is like, so a matter of getting some lubrication on the threaded rod.

Attachments

#7 ·
WD40 is not the best for lubrication.
If you suspect rust, spray some PB Blaster.
For actual lubrication, I usually use silicone grease or Sylglide brake grease but that might not make it to the right places in such a tight spot.

Which dry lube did you use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.